Do You Have A Prefered Dog Gender?

Pailin

Gender of dog prefered...  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a prefered gender in the dogs you own?

• Male
    • Female
    • Both/ Either

I was just generally thinking about this recently and wondered what other people do/feel about it all.

I have noticed that I tend to prefer female dogs and it has never been a conscious choice but just that I seem to veer toward female dogs when I am browsing rescue sites/threads etc. I really don't know why but thinking back on it the main dogs that I had growing up that really left the paw prints on my life were all females so maybe that contributes.

I own a female currently so have had to remind myself that if I was seriously considering getting a second dog (which I am not at this point) that I would most likely have to get a male and the very concept of owning a male dog, after having just my girl for the last 3.5years, seems really strange to me and I realised that rather than breed bias, I have somehow ended up slightly gender biased. I would actually prefer to own a desexed female dog over a male :confused: and I really don't know why LOL. Does anyone else have a preference or am I just strange?

I don't think my current dogs gender was a choice really- it wasn't even a consideration back then, she was chosen for her personality alone and the fact that she was calm and placid as a pup and out of the pups I viewed (at the RSPCA) she was the only one who didn't jump on and knock over my young toddler and baby. So in the 3.5years of her being a part of my life (and I do happen to think she is pretty close to perfect!) I have become subconsciously biased for some reason. Odd.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that I tend to prefer female dogs and it has never been a conscious choice but just that I seem to veer toward female dogs when I am browsing rescue sites/threads etc. I really don't know why but thinking back on it the main dogs that I had growing up that really left the paw prints on my life were all females so maybe that contributes.

Yes, I've tended to own female dogs, tibbies, in recent times. And I think you've put your finger on it.....it's nothing to do with thinking one gender is better than the other....just strong memories of growing up with female dogs who left a big impression.

I must say the rescue Sheltie, Danny, that we owned was the dearest 'heart dog'. Such a lovely boy, he was nicknamed Saint Danny! :)

And, as much as I love our female tibbies, I've seen the most amazing 'honey bear' tibbie boys.

PAWS Rescue in Sydney has rescued/rehomed two such wonderful boys who have glorious natures.

So, rationally, it comes down to individual dogs.....whatever their gender.

I have a strong preference for boys. I find they suit me better in regards to training and living with, they are less complicated and more honest IMO. It usually suits me well when after a pup as it seems girls are always in high demand. However, I now have a girl pup and I'm hoping I'll have to eat my words :) :laugh:

Edited by FHRP

I love my boys, they just suit me better. All the females dogs I've own have all been real bitches but saying that, I love my Emmy to bits and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

I have both males and females, I had never owned a male dog until I got my Onslow but now I own 3.

To me it depends on the breed as well. For example for some unknown reason I have never found a male cavalier that I have liked yet have owned and my mum has owned female cavaliers and I adore them

I prefer male griffons and male coolies (although I wouldn't swap my female coolie for the world)

Golden retreivers I was told males were cuddlier and sookier - I think I got a broken one coz he is very independant and standoffish (although loved to pieces) but the two golden retreiver males that came to visit on the weekend were very cuddly and sooky. I wouldn't mind either a female or male in golden retreivers.

Guest donatella

I went in wanting a boy, but my girl was the last available in the litter so I got a girl.

I think boys are more smoochy and girls more head strong and independent. I definitely have a little bitch (god love her), she comes to me for a snuggle when it suits her and only then, she doesn't sleep in my bed even though it's always accessible to her and thinks she's some big guard dog. She's got more balls then most of the boy dogs I've met and had growing up.

Always seemed to have boys growing up. Probably because they were more obtainable and cheaper to desex (dads such a cheapskate :laugh: ). Oh, except for a mixed breed terrier bitch we had.

I've always had male GSD's and would like to own a female one. Right now all the Cavaliers are girls, to make life easier, but I'd love a male someday, if I can make it workable and keep my sanity (if its' not too late for that already).

I'd go with either really. I've had 2 of each and had a cuddly boy and cuddly girl, then a boy and a girl who only come when asked/can't sit still :laugh: I currently have 1 girl and 2 boys, and really the only major difference I see is the smell of the pee, boys are yucky!

Edited to add, I notice that females seem a lot more sought after than males. Usually I notice more males than females in shelters too

Edited by rusty&biscuit