Do You Have A Prefered Dog Gender?

Pailin

Gender of dog prefered...  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a prefered gender in the dogs you own?

• Male
    • Female
    • Both/ Either

I would like to live with a male husky.

I think it would even the pack out and also be a better match size wise for Esky.

I find some females can be a bit arky with other females as well.

Having said that if someone offered me a sibe that could run, it could be male, female, both, neither, blue, pink or yellow. :laugh:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever had girls while I grew up, and now my dog is a girl. She lives with my OH's family dog, another girl. They get along well thankfully.

Because I've never had boys, I've never really felt an attachment, but now that my mum has a male mini schnauzer - i'm a little bit more likely to get a boy as a pet. He is the most loving and snuggly dog, totally unlike all other dogs we've had, all different breeds. I know his breed plays some part, but I think his gender does as well. Cleo is not a snuggly dog at all! That's the only thing I would ever change lol. She's affectionate, but its a quick rub past, not a cuddle.

I have a definite preference for females, but then I've never had a male so I don't know what they're like from an owner's perspective. I think it depends on breed as well, in some breeds I'd rather have a male, for no particular reason.

i have had more bitches and prefer them to a degree.

i have found... (may not be always the case) that boys are more rough tumble and outging. girls are more quiet and content.

a bit shyer in a way, more reticent in coming forward.

i think my son prefers leo and they rumble all round the floor till i yell and put a stop to it... the dog keeps coming back for more, he loves it.

sophie would not come at it at all.

we do have 5x male dogs atm tho...

From a performance point of view - the girls learn more quickly, and never forget, but then you have the hormones to deal with.

The boys I find you have to break it down into little tiny pieces, then just when you think they've got it, they really haven't. If you don't continually practice, they tend to forget. But I find the boys would walk over hot coals for you where the girls tends to have the attitude of hmm maybe not today.....

My top 2 obedience dogs - one is a boy and the other a girl (but I think I prefer the boys) thumbsup1.gif

Edited by Ptolomy

I've only owned 2 boys and 1 girl, I don't really have a preference.

My girl is the first one I've owned and she is amazing, if they were all like her I would say girls! My boys are just so cruizy and easy going with everything though. For training I prefer my girl as she is switched on and just 'gets' it even if she does come into season every 6 months!

I have an irrational preference for female things in general :laugh: We had a male and female toy & mini poodle growing up, and the male was definitely more smoochy and cuddley. But for some reason I always gravitate toward female dogs.

Lilly our grey is the first bitch both my husband and I have owned. She is gorgeous and affectionate but we both tend to gravitate towards males.

Oscar my iggy gets mistaken for a female all the time - he is a pretty boy!

I've only had one girl, but I've had her for 9.5 years while the boy dogs we had passed away quite early at 4-5 years. So while I voted I prefer girls, it might just be that I prefer MY girl.

We have a 6 month old boy now who is just gorgeous as well, but the old girl just has a serenity and wisdom about her. I remember breastfeeding my eldest daughter 8 years ago, and Buzz just came over and rested her head next to me and watched.

I prefer the girls in my breed. They are easier to train, mature sooner and tend to be the better workers. They only pee a few times on walks and poo a maximum of twice. Zeph pees on everything and takes 4-8 goes to clear his bowel each day :eek: (insert rolly eyes man)

However, that being said, Zeph is probably going to be a better worker than Baylee and Dee, if he can only get over his boy brain.

I have a strong preference for males. I have been fostering for 10 yrs now and it's normally been the females in the house or the females coming in that have caused most issues.

My males are just wonderful, welcoming to every foster dog whereas my JRT cross girl gives them a hard time.

That said, I've adored the females I have owned.

Definately prefer females, to live with, and for sports which is what I do with them. My first two BCs were boys. When we got OH's Brittany pup I was pretty adament it should be a boy as we already had three female border collies. But there were no males available in the litter. So now have 4 girl dogs and a girl cat. Oops. My husband says he doesn't mind being the only male in the house. Next one, a long long long time in the future :) I think will be a boy BC.

However, that being said, Zeph is probably going to be a better worker than Baylee and Dee, if he can only get over his boy brain.

:laugh: I'll tell you if Neo ever grows a brain, if you tell me if Zeph ever does!

I'm sure Nova - at 9 months - is far more mentally mature than Neo, who is about to turn 3 :laugh: She's already totally running rings around him! My poor boy, God love him! :laugh: