Leaving Dog Home Alone

angelnkids

hello everyone, normally when we go out we leave the dog outside, but at the moment its raining and cold, where does everyone else leave their dog in winter?

She has excellent toilet control, she can go hours and hours without going.

I would rather leave her in our bedroom with the door shut, she has her bed and crate in there, with some toys, I just dont know if she would chew anything??

any tips/advice

thanks

tracy

Edited by angelnkids

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine have a dog door and full run of the house.

They are usually pretty good but I do have foster dogs as well so occasionally they chew something. I just put things away. And don't leave anything remotely edible on the benches.

we have a dog door, but its attatched the sliding fly screen door, not the main door, so it would mean leaving the door open, and potential for a robber.

i have never left her inside before so i really dont know how she would react, she may be fine? i guess i wont know till i try

Mine stays inside too and has great control. I just make sure she gets out for a wee before I go to work, and the first thing I do when getting home is let her out the back for another one, and go for a walk. She usually does a huge wee in the afternoon but unless I'm unexpectedly late or she's had something salty to eat during the day and had heaps of extra water, there aren't many accidents.

If there's ever a wee on the floor, it's right next to the back door anyway, and to be honest I don't care at all. That's my fault for not getting home in time to let her out, and she's not just weeing indiscriminately.

Maybe just leave your dog with a chew toy or a kong or just something that she's allowed to chew, to eliminate boredom? Which is what chewing is normally a response to :)

Mine are outside when we're not home, even in winter. They cope fine.

Edit: Mine actually prefer to be outdoors. All the smells, sounds and neighbourhood goings on keeps them amused.

Edited by wuffles

Guest Willow

Inside.

Run of the house usually (12 year old staffy) with the cats...he usually moves from his bed to the sofa back to his bed again and that's it, but if a storm is forecast he gets shut in the bathroom for his own safety because he freaks out. The bathroom is secure and safe and he cannot hurt himself, or escape out of a window/door (which he has done in the past)

Guest english.ivy

Edit: Mine actually prefer to be outdoors. All the smells, sounds and neighbourhood goings on keeps them amused.

Same here. All stay outside.

eta - though saying that, IF I just Ivy, she would be left inside.

Edited by english.ivy

Same with mine. When we're at work, they are outside in summer. In winter or if it's raining, we close off the kitchen so they have access to the kitchen by way of a dog door but I know they love being outside in the yard.

Edited by koalathebear

Ours have the choice as they can access the house via their dog door. I do sometimes worry about security, but think it would be a very brave burglar who tried to crawl in whilst they are home. They have not chewed anything for a very long time ** touches wood**. Although they did eat a corner off the front window blind when we accidently left it down one day. I don't lock them in because it is an old timber house and I worry they would be trapped if there was a fire. Probably complete paranoia but it doesn't feel safe to me if they can't get out into the yard.I have been told they may not run outside anyway but since it makes me feel better I opt to risk the burglars over the dogs being locked in.

If I couldn't let them have free access I would be tempted to build them an outdoor room/shed with a run attached. Hubby is rolling his eyes at this.

Edited by coogie

Mine are both inside and outside with a doggie door to come and go as they please. Occasionally I will lock them out if its a gorgeous day. They are usually well behaved...but I do have to stick the bin up high otherwise thats too much of a temptation.

Any reason why you can't get a dog door?

Mine all use the doggie door and go and sun themselves on a nice day but in winter, wet or just cold weather, they are inside.

Right now, we have the reverse cycle aircon timed to come on in the afternoon, just for their comfort!!

Edited by dogmad

I would also recommend a doggie door. Mine spend the day inside and use the doggie door when they feel the need to toilet or munch on some grass. They have some low value toys lying around inside and anything I don't want chewed is put away. The bin is out of reach, as is any food.

When we go to work, dogs are outside, this year both will have coats on during winter. If it's particularly stormy or the yard is a swamp then they'll stay inside, one crated and one not because we have a storm phobic dog.

If we're just out on weekends and it's raining then they stay inside because we won't be gone long.