Leaving Dog Home Alone

angelnkids

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are left inside. My GR tries to be an escape artist so while we have changed all our fencing to colour bond and put mesh under the fence, I still feel more comfortable leaving them inside when we are not home.

They also prefer to be inside lounging on the sofa.

One of mine gets left inside with her bed for up to 10 hours while I'm at work, as she's completely trustworthy (only took 4-5 years to trust her laugh.gif)

The other still isn't trustworthy so some days she gets left in the backyard with access to the back room only, or I leave her locked inside as well in a different part of the house so she has no access to a bed. She's the bed eater!

Any reason why you can't get a dog door?

Mine all use the doggie door and go and sun themselves on a nice day but in winter, wet or just cold weather, they are inside.

Right now, we have the reverse cycle aircon timed to come on in the afternoon, just for their comfort!!

I would also recommend a doggie door. Mine spend the day inside and use the doggie door when they feel the need to toilet or munch on some grass. They have some low value toys lying around inside and anything I don't want chewed is put away. The bin is out of reach, as is any food.

a proper dog door would be good, but im guessing having one cut into the glass will be expensive? shes a german shepherd too so we would need a biggish door, and i worry about someone getting in the house, although i guess they would be pretty stupid with a german shepherd present, i wouldnt want to take my chances against her.

a GSD with a decent coat , provided there is an area which stays dry , would be fine outside , IMO :) Provide a kennel or large cardboard box (like one that carried a fridge ) under shelter ..some chewy things, and interactive toys .. :)

Mine all use the doggie door and go and sun themselves on a nice day but in winter, wet or just cold weather, they are inside.

Right now, we have the reverse cycle aircon timed to come on in the afternoon, just for their comfort!!

I would also recommend a doggie door. Mine spend the day inside and use the doggie door when they feel the need to toilet or munch on some grass. They have some low value toys lying around inside and anything I don't want chewed is put away. The bin is out of reach, as is any food.

a proper dog door would be good, but im guessing having one cut into the glass will be expensive? shes a german shepherd too so we would need a biggish door, and i worry about someone getting in the house, although i guess they would be pretty stupid with a german shepherd present, i wouldnt want to take my chances against her.

I have seen them in glass doors but I'm not sure what the cost would be.

Mines inside as I can't trust him outside (barks and digs) ... inside he is very well behaved just destroys his own toys. I do worry about what if I get stuck at work or delayed or if there is a fire.

Google 'pig in mud' dog doors. They have a panel that locks into existing sliding doors and are very secure. You can order them through Bunnings. We have one and they are excellent.

Mine stays inside and gets full run off the house, she's been trustworthy from the very beginning and has never destroyed anything. (I'm very very lucky to have her, I realize)

If I put her outside she just sits at the door looking like her world has ended, so she stays inside & spends her hours sleeping in her bed or on the lounge until I come home. Nowadays she also has the cat for company although they both still just choose to sleep anyway and only play with each other when I get home. *rolls eyes*

Some chew toys or a kong might be good to keep your gsd occupied if you're afraid she might get bored. Mine chews on her deer antler for hours!

Google 'pig in mud' dog doors. They have a panel that locks into existing sliding doors and are very secure. You can order them through Bunnings. We have one and they are excellent.

I've got one too, they're excellent. Don't know how I survived without it. And, I brought it with me when I moved. Definitely worth looking into.

My back door is ajar 24/7. I couldn't lock them outside in winter they would freeze to death...just ask them *rolly eye man*.They are not guard dogs by any means but I would pay money to see a robber trying to outrun two greyhounds whilst carrying a 42inch flatscreen :)

My little guy is outside with a doggie door that gives him access to his nice warm crate in the laundry. He can't be trusted to have run of the house for longer than about half hour without supervision.

Afghans and IW outside without too much fuss given their breeds. The show Afghan may stay inside if it's forecast to blow rain sideways into the run which is covered but just has dog wire sides, but that kind of weather is rare. Salukis also outside, on secondhand pure wool blankets (mum works in an op shop) on their trampoline beds and in polar fleece coats/jammies. I used to use snuggle safes as well but they kept pulling them out and chewing them.

My older Saluki girl is usually inside but I think it's important not to expect too much toilet wise from dogs. 4 hours while you have lunch with friends - fine. 10 hours for a standard work day is getting a bit much without access to the outdoors.

My back door is ajar 24/7. I couldn't lock them outside in winter they would freeze to death...just ask them *rolly eye man*.They are not guard dogs by any means but I would pay money to see a robber trying to outrun two greyhounds whilst carrying a 42inch flatscreen :)

:laugh: mine stay outside in minus degree temps in winter. Couple of coats, snug kennels, plenty of blankies and they are fine. When I win tattslotto we can all stay home and inside. They are warmer in their kennels then if they were in the kitchen with the door open to the outside.

we have a dog door, but its attatched the sliding fly screen door, not the main door, so it would mean leaving the door open, and potential for a robber.

i have never left her inside before so i really dont know how she would react, she may be fine? i guess i wont know till i try

If you have never left alone before, start with small intervals first.

Mine are in or out depending on what im doing and the wether. If its wet, they are crated inside, if its dry they are usually outside. Im not usually out for long periods during the day tho :)

My guys live outside and are only allowed inside for about 30 minutes -- my mum's not an inside dog person. They don't mind as they live running around like boofheads in the rain.

If it's absolutely nasty out, they get the garage and their beds and blankets in there!

Joey has full run of the house when no one is at home, simply because he carries on (howling/crying) if he gets locked outside. He is somewhat behaved (counter surfs :scold: ) but normally doesn't break anything. If you don't trust your dog not to destroy anything you could buy baby gates and section off a part of the house that has nothing to be destroyed. Or just put him/her in the laundry/bathroom/room of your choice.