Barking When We Arrive Home

I have an Anatolian who LOVES the sound of his own voice. He is 3 now and having worked with him, he's very good and doesn't bark too much anymore EXCEPT when we return home from work/shopping etc.

The whole time I'm pulling the car in, closing the gate, walking to the door, he's going of his 'nana. He knows it's me, he just gets so excited he won't shut up *rolleyes*.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on things I can try to defuse this behaviour? I don't mind a bark or two but he just goes mental!

TIA :)

Edited by Aussie3

Will be following this one Aussie3 as my girl who is 17 months does the same thing. She whines as well as barks as soon as she hears the garage door go up.

And she won't stop until she see's oone of us.

Sorry I am of no help to you though :)

I am just wondering what your actions are after you have parked the car & gone inside. How do you greet the dog?? Are you inadvertently rewarding him for carrying on like a pork chop, maybe :confused:

Sheena, no I try to be very calm. My OH used to raz them up and I made him stop but it's been quite a few months of us being very calm and he still goes off!

Maybe it will just take a bit longer though. I definitely think that made the behaviour worse, you're spot on with that.

Guest lavendergirl

Several behaviourists have advised me to not pay attention to my dog when he goes bananas when I come in the door. Well I have been "not paying attention" for over a year now and he still "pork chops" - so that worked well :)

Sorry I am no help whatsoever either - maybe distract him somehow with a chewy or something. Yes I know, I know, - rewarding behaviour :eek: but if it works so what :D

i used to inadvertantly reward my boy for doing this... just by saying hello to him. He's nearly 10 now and no amount of ignoring has him stop his barking when we get home... but I do wait until he's calm/stopped barking before I acknowledge him and he does calm down quicker than he used to.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on things I can try to defuse this behaviour? I don't mind a bark or two but he just goes mental!

I just don't get it :dummy: Sowy

What is so wrong with the dog getting excited/expressing joy about the pack leader re-joing the group?

I cherish and welcome this sort of behaviour.

When I was at the Ian Dunbar seminar someone asked about this and he recommended making the dogs get their chew toy (eg kong) as soon as you walk in the door each day. Then treating them for doing it.

Eventually they will associate you coming home with them needing to get their toy. Apparently one it distracts them from barking and two they have something in their mouth so can't bark.

Mine don't have this problem so I haven't tried it but seems to make sense.

What is so wrong with the dog getting excited/expressing joy about the pack leader re-joing the group?

I'm sorta with you. They're about the only ones that are ever excited to see me, so I love it laugh.gif I do however wait until Millie stops barking before she gets a pat and she doesn't bark in her greeting as much, but they still run around like pork chops when I get home.

When I was at the Ian Dunbar seminar someone asked about this and he recommended making the dogs get their chew toy (eg kong) as soon as you walk in the door each day. Then treating them for doing it.

Eventually they will associate you coming home with them needing to get their toy. Apparently one it distracts them from barking and two they have something in their mouth so can't bark.

One of mine, Ruby, is not a barker, and she is the one who automatically finds a present to bring me in her mouth when I get home :) My barker doesn't laugh.gif Never taught her this, think it's just the gundog in her, gotta bring something to me all the time and carry things in her mouth!

Had same situation here with my current boy. He still gives an excited and shrill bark or two when I arrive back home, but faaaaaar better than he was when he was younger. I did teach him I wasn't going to come in the gate/door until he was quiet. I warned the neighbours there might be a bit of escalated barking whilst he worked out that his barking was keeping me out, the very reverse of what he wanted and made sure they had my phone numbers to call me in the event it became too annoying for too long. No probs there and my dog knows I won't come into him unless he's quiet.

Then he spins and leaps with excitement and I have to dodge his whippy boney tail. But that's another story :).

Edited by Erny

Poppy doesn't bark but she does this high pitched squeal which is truly ear piercing. She normally does this whilst bringing me a present! So having something in her mouth doesn't prevent the noise! Amber does this wooowooo noise which is just cute and not loud at all.

I've various things to get Poppy to stop the noise but have failed miserably.

I'm going to try this - thanks!

I have an ACD that has that high pitched barking that makes you cringe. He does this when I come home from work and even though I ignore him until he settles it can go on from the moment I turn into the street! If he is ever quiet (probably 3 times in over 10 years) I rush straight over to him and make a big fuss.

Aussie3 you said you've had success training a reduction in barking already, can you use the same method with some 'staged' homecomings, with one person inside to do the training and one person coming and going?

I like Burke's method but then I realised I have a dog that can happily bark with a toy in her mouth too :laugh:

My two don't bark. They do thunder up the hallway when the key goes in the door,bouncing off each other and the walls then when the door opens a crack the heads poke through and then they launch at me.Two leaping greyhounds all the way up the hallway while I just have my head down clutching the shopping bags doing my best to ignore them...but as I said they don't bark :laugh:

Neighbours......

Aussie3 you said you've had success training a reduction in barking already, can you use the same method with some 'staged' homecomings, with one person inside to do the training and one person coming and going?

I like Burke's method but then I realised I have a dog that can happily bark with a toy in her mouth too :laugh:

I had the same problem- three dogs that can still bark with a toy in their mouth and one that ALWAYS found a sock so I was going through a lot of them with little improvement. I have the dogs all locked up and don't go near them until they are all quiet and I still have a big carry on. I am going to crate them individually now that its winter and I don't leave them for long periods of time and hope that without their buddies that the barking settles down.

My two don't bark. They do thunder up the hallway when the key goes in the door,bouncing off each other and the walls then when the door opens a crack the heads poke through and then they launch at me.Two leaping greyhounds all the way up the hallway while I just have my head down clutching the shopping bags doing my best to ignore them...but as I said they don't bark :laugh:

:laugh: The barkless bouncing ninja greets meet when I arrive home too Stans mum. Whips the shopping with his helicopter tail and makes a happy groan sometimes.

Aussie 3 maybe you could record your dogs bark for me to play here? I want potential burglars to know I actually have a dog. With a nice big Anatolian bark. Sorry, that was off-topic, I just had bark-envy. :o

It is, on the face of it, nice :).

But it makes you want to get home before dark, rather than after the neighbourhood has gone to sleep, lol.

I don't think most neighbours would have an issue with a couple of minutes barking. Mine are like loonies, racing round the yard barking but it is all over ins about 2 minutes so you would have to be pretty picky to have an issue with that small amount of barking. Mine know they get no attention unless they are sitting quietly so do a couple of circuits round the yard and then race inside via the dog door to be sitting lined up ready for their biscuit and pats. Most days they beat me inside so it doesn't take long.

I don't tend to kennel them if I am going to be returning home late. I could stop it if I wanted by putting them on leads before they come out of the run but it seems a shame to suppress them like that.

I don't think most neighbours would have an issue with a couple of minutes barking. Mine are like loonies, racing round the yard barking but it is all over ins about 2 minutes so you would have to be pretty picky to have an issue with that small amount of barking. Mine know they get no attention unless they are sitting quietly so do a couple of circuits round the yard and then race inside via the dog door to be sitting lined up ready for their biscuit and pats. Most days they beat me inside so it doesn't take long.

I don't tend to kennel them if I am going to be returning home late. I could stop it if I wanted by putting them on leads before they come out of the run but it seems a shame to suppress them like that.

My mum only has to worry about it when the Neighbours brother comes to visit. He tends to ring council about any noise at all- her dogs barking, someone playing music (during the day at a level that you could just hear if you were outside and couldn't hear if you went inside), kids playing cricket and hitting a fence.......... The entire street now recognises his car and there is silence until he goes (with the exception of the jubilant greeting my mum receives) she mitigates the problem by throwing food all over the grass as soon as she comes through the gate. It doesn't solve the problem but it does shut them up!!

I do personally worry a little too because there are a lot of dogs around me that fence run (mine do too but I have built a second fence) so I am worried that I would get blamed for all the noise- but I don't think anyone would want to start a chain reaction of complaints that would have to happen to try and identify exactly who's dogs are the culprits :laugh: Considering I was told I am the 'worst neighbour ever' because the grass was getting too long (aka I missed a week during summer) I don't want to know what he thinks about my dogs....