• Let them chase it a bit but then stop them
    • actively encourage it
    • other
  2. 2. How do you see tail chasing

• Completely normal
    • A potentially serious issue
    • Haven't thought about it
    • Other

The reason I have asked this is, on Funniest Hime video's there was a video of a young Kelpie chasing, catching and holding his tail.

My immediate reaction was, geez I would stop that, that could become a serious issue and I don't find it funny. My husband thought I was strange and said most people see it as completely normal and funny.

My reasons are I have seen dogs that become OCD about it, some that have self mutilated their tail to the point it had to be amputated and one dog who could not live a normal life due his complete addiction to tail chasing and even after amputating his tail he was euthanased on humane grounds.

I never encourage a dog to chase their tail - ever, and if they do it is immediate redirection.

What are your thoughts? Am I strange or do others feel as I do?

My eldest, and it looks like my youngest kelpie will do it on cue. They don't do it unless cued and I make sure that they come to me for a game after- so the focus in on the reward to come, not actually chasing their tail. I also don't let them do more than one turn usually.

Not something I do often because I don't want them to find it self rewarding but not something I am particularly worried about atm. I would never encourage a dog that was particularly stressy or that I thought had a temperament where it was likely to become a displacement behaviour.

Now using a laser light as a reward or exercise is something I wouldn't touch with a 10foot pole!

Edited by Jumabaar

I am not sure if this is a myth or not but I have always been led to believe that Bull Terriers can have a tendency to do this. I was always told that there was cases bad enough that the dog had to be PTS.

Whether this is true or not, I have always redirected any dog I have seen doing this, simply on this belief, myth or not. The ones I have seen doing it were puppies, so it could be just a play thing?

Off to google!

I voted other for the first question (because I've never owned a tail chaser) and serious problem for the second question.

I'd certainly be discouraging any dog of mine if I saw him chasing his tail.

Reminds me of the video of the dog on the couch eating a bone, and attacking it's own hind leg when "it" got too close. :( :(

I think like barking, if tail chasing is on cue - it's ok but not if it's an OCD thing that the dog does - because that leads to pain and trouble.

There is some weird thing about putting stuff on cue that changes its meaning or value for a dog. Like the way the Look at That (LAT) game works. So putting barking on cue and rewarding the quietest noise can be a way to teach a dog that barking has value that is not to be wasted. Same with spinning.

I hate it and dont see the funny side of it.

I held a 6 month old bull terrier puppy in my arms while he was PTS because he was a spinner. The owners did all they could, after 4 solid days of spinning, and trying to spin while sedated and wearing the pads off all his feet they made the choise to PTS.

It was one of the most heartbreaking things i have ever had to do. Hold a wonderful healthy puppy and see him leave this world.

Warning, story in the link is very very sad

http://www.btneuro.org/?page_id=39

Ziggy chases his tail heaps.

He can be playing with a toy, see it and give chase.. But he stops after a few spins.

I don't see it as an issue and I don't try to distract him, nor do I encourage it. It is just something he does...

Guess it would depend on how often they chased their tail. In fun occasionally is fine, constant/daily is not. If mine do this its only because they have a piece of something from the garden stuck in their fluffy bits. Never had a tail chaser dog.

It depends on the dog, I had a foster dog that did this, all day. She was completely neurotic, whereas my Maremma does it to show off grabs it and does zoomies, one is ok, one is not. Rule of thumb is if you think it could turn into a problem, stop it.

Only saw one true OCD tail chaser whilst working for vet behaviourist for 10yrs. It was very sad, something I will not forget. Was PTS after many attempts of different meds.

Whilst there saw dogs that had been to other vets....who had had their tails removed.....as that was seen as "the prob".....the dog still chased "its tail".......funny that!!

Behaviour is controlled by its outcome.....I teach my clients in puppy training classes "any attention is good attention" :)

I think it depends on the dog. I had a 11month old foster ACD once that was so bad in the kennels he had chewed off the end of his tail. I took him into foster care to see what could be done for him away from the high stress environment. He was put in a collar to allow his tail to mend, and I would immediately redirect him whenever I saw him start to spin, although he would often spin 7 or 8 times before the redirection was effective. Within a few days he had stopped the constant spinning all day long, but would still do it in his excitement of first seeing me in the morning or after work. I suspect that he will never completely stop, but his new owners were aware of it and could handle it only happening in those high excitement times, knowing they could return him to me at any time if it was too much. That was years ago now and as far as I know he is living a relatively normal life.

That dog needed a stress release and spinning was his way of coping with stressful things in life. Yes, with lots of redirection early on he may not have developed the issue... but in all likelihood he would have developed a behaviour equally as neurotic. If they are going to have a problem, they will have it regardless. I don't believe that someone allowing them to play with their tail is what causes the behaviour... its the symptom of something bigger going on with them.

Delta loves her appendages, I swear they were only put on her body for her entertainment :laugh: If she is bored and has nothing to play with, she will play with herself. Usually this involves lying very still, then doing this huge twitch/jerk/convulsion type thing and trying to catch her tail as it flies towards her mouth :rofl: It is the absolute funniest thing I have ever seen a dog do... and she will repeat it a few times and look at us in between each one with this big grin on her face. Sometimes she tries to catch her leg instead and will do funny rolly-polly things in the process. It is not a behaviour that is ever going to escalate any further, it is not a symptom of anything worse, it is just her way of keeping herself amused when she is bored :laugh:

Totally depends on the dog. Would be worried in a very focussed breed eg bc or other herding breed or in a generally anxious or hyper dog.

Mindy used to chase her tail as a puppy, I didn't really worry too much though didn't encourage her at all. She would stop after a few spins and now doesn't do it at all.

She has a laid back personality though.

My lappie did it as a puppy, I'd watch her for a bit and if she didn't stop I'd stop her. I did worry she may have a few screws loose! She very rarely does it nowadays and it's only if she gets super over excited and will do a few spins and then stop.

My little dog did it - I said other because I usually laugh my head off.

But she did it so rarely that it was cute when she was 'feeling crazy' enough to do it :p

I will admit that I never thought of dogs that obsessively chase their tail. I'd say it depends on the dog :) with my little dog it was a fun thing she did occasionally (like zoomies - she'd get so excited she runs around the house then stop and chase her tail then lay down panting rofl1.gif ) but with a dog that has a tendency to do it obsessively to the point of harming it's health, I'd definitely be stopping it.

I voted for stop it immediately. My little girl does it occasionally when excited and I distract her when she starts because I don't want it becoming a habit. I did have a foster dog who would frequently spin.