Foster Dogs

See what a decent diet results in regarding the wonky back feet.... it may be all she needs...

If the back dewclaws are not attached, then they could be removed when she gets desexed with no big issue, but if they are attached it will be more tricky (and painful) to remove. Another solution if they can't be removed is to put a bit of vetwrap around them if she is going to do agility or the like - just so they don't get caught on anything.

T.

Juniper had her meet and greet this morning and it went really well. We weren't even done driving home yet when they emailed us to say that they wanted to adopt her - today even! :)

She starts her two week trial adoption tomorrow! She'll be going to a lovely home with another doggy and will be attending the same dog club as us!

We will miss her horribly but it makes it much better to know that she won't be far away. Some photos from today :)

My husband giving Juniper her pre-adoption bath. Juniper was not impressed but she is so clean and fluffy now and smells so nice

17dec13_01.jpg

Juniper and the contents of her Hobo Bag

17dec13_02.jpg

Miss Juniper Berry modelling her brand new collar Purple is her colour! So stylish :)

17dec13_03.jpg

Danny's Darling - I have been very teary these last few days. Juniper went on trial adoption yesterday and the family is absolutely wonderful and love her to bits so I couldn't be happier - but we do miss her a lot because she is such a sweet thing and wriggled her way into our heart.

I usually do a music video/adoption video for all of our foster dogs but things were very busy so I never actually got around to it ... I didn't want Juniper to miss out so I've made one for her even though she's already on trial. Let's call it her Christmas Video instead of her adoption video

Hopefully the video conveys how much progress she's made and what a gorgeous girl she is.

Smudge is about that too. She is a bit more 'solid' in build than the lithe graceful juniper. :p

Smudge has a longer coat too so that add to her 'bulk'. Lol. I see her as tiny! I judge everything off my massive Reggie though! :o still hoping she has stopped growing and will measure as a 400 dog for agility.

She is plenty fast enough to be competitive in 500s, I on the other hand will need to run a heck of a lot faster, or have EXCELLENT distance control and layering abilities! :o :laugh:

She is perfect cuddle size! Though she thinks its funny to smash you in the head with her head after she has lulled you into a false sense of security. :laugh: little pest!

CBD: I loved watching Smudge run. It was one of the reasons why I didn't want her going to a purely pet home like Nutmeg.

These are some of my favourite photos of her where she looks like a speedy little piglet

31july_04.jpg

31july_06.jpg

31july_13.jpg

31july_14.jpg

31july_15.jpg

31july_19.jpg

Can't wait until she's old enough to start agility :) I'll be at the sidelines dabbing my eyes and going: "That's my former foster!" :)

Juniper's doing well on her trial adoption!

Managed to get human bed privileges from day #2...

22dec13_01.jpg

With her doggy sister Jazz the Kelpie/BC cross :)

22dec13_02.jpg

22dec13_03.jpg

22dec13_05.jpg

Enjoying a bone in the yard

22dec13_04.jpg

Was bought a new maze bowl of her own to slow down her greedy guzzling of kibble at dinner :)

22dec13_06.jpg

Meet my newest foster dog, Buffy. Poor little girl was seen wandering the streets and was picked up by a passer-by and taken to the pound after almost being hit three times by a car. She is blind, poor little girl and has now had both eyes removed.

This is a quote from her rescuer:

"Buffy visited the vet today and sadly the news is not good.

Buffy has Glaucoma, an increased pressure within the eye which, if left untreated, usually causes irreversible blindness in addition to stretching and enlargement of the eye. Her ...intraocular pressure was tested and was in excess of 60mm of mercury, the normal reading being around 15mm of mercury. This means that not only is her blindness irreversible, but she would also be in a great deal of pain. It was decided it would be in her best interests to remove both eyes and this will be done tomorrow along with removal of a small chain of mammary tumours.

We hope that, by doing this, she will have a much better quality of life."

She was also desexed at the same time. So she has stitches in both eyes, where her mammary tumour was and where she was spayed.

I was first told that her hearing was not too good but since she's been here with me for the last couple of days, that has proven to be inaccurate, thank goodness. She is able to follow my footsteps around the house and around the yard, and is immediately aware if I change direction. She is wearing the 'cone of shame' to prevent her bumping her eyes on things she runs into and also so she doesn't scratch her stitches out. It is obvious that this morning the wound areas must be healing as they seem to be getting itchy as she wants to scratch more than before.

This is my first foster that has had this type of disability. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has got any tips or tricks to offer regarding how best to help and care for her.

post-33027-0-72865500-1387831869_thumb.jpg

My first tip would be to get the cone off as soon as possible (once she stops scratching her stitches). They need their hearing to help navigate and the cone really messes with that. Blind dogs often like to hug the walls as they walk, and again the cone prevents this.

Next tip, use essential oils to mark things in the house. So perhaps use orange oil to mark things she needs to be cautious of (eg steps), lavender oil to mark the dog door, and rose oil to mark water bowl etc. You only need one drop once and she will be fine after that. :)

Try putting a bell on your own dog's collars so that she can follow them around. :)

Blind dogs generally cope very well and once she has got your house mapped out, you will be surprised how well she navigates. :)

Iggy Mum for a start I think you need to put something soft and fluffy in that playpen with her! It looks awfully hard and uncomfortable in there! :rofl:

But seriously, I had a pei here whose forehead skin affected his vision and he spent the first couple of days fervently mapping out the house and yard and after that he was fine. It looked like he was pacing with a purpose. He didn't like going for walkies and stuff outside but there was a dog park he went to and again, he just went round and round mapping the place in his mind and was fine after that. He was ok once in the car (never moved) but I could sense he was worried about getting in and out and needed help. Do you have any stairs? We had three down to the lounge and this pei boy really struggled with them so we put a soft mattress over them so he could kind of slide/walk down and after those first couple of days he had the distance judged and the mattress was removed. He did zoomies snd pranced around with the others without any accidents. Remarkable stuff.

Ams has very recently had a couple of blindies - one came without eyes and the other had his removed. I've seen both dogs in action and they have no probs getting around even with all the other dogs and being on acreage and out at events. She'll hopefully come in and tell you more about how they manage.

There are halo frames blind dogs can wear to stop them bumping into things. Not sure how necessary it is but you could probably conjure up your own after a trip to Bunnings!