Carrots?

kja

My two love a bite of carrot and I'm wondering if there's any real reason not to add some to their food during the week?

Hi,

My 2 Poms get carrots every day as a treat. I do not give them any other treats anymore and they absolutely love them. I buy the petite sized baby carrots and they go crazy when I say the word carrot. I think they like them better than any dog treat they ever had before!

They also love pureed pumpkin - not the pumpkin pie filling in the can but 100% Pumpkin.

My dog actually steals entire carrots that are meant to be for the horses. I get a bit worried about the carrots causign blockages when she eats the whole thing at once but have not had any trouble so far. I try to keep them out of reach now and only feed small amounts at a time but it only takes half a second of me looking away and she will snatch them right out of the bucket :p

Carrots are awesome. They are non-fatty so good for dogs who are battling the bulge but like treats. They are also excellent grated in large amounts on the meals of dogs who are dieting so that they are getting lots of filler and what looks and feels like a large meal, but few calories.

Awesome!

I have just changed dog food and this one says on the side of the bag x amount of cups per day and both are thinking their throats have been slit, though it's not really much different to the last kind (about half a cup/day). They aren't needing to lose weight (well, maybe Tilly a teensy bit, but no biggie). I'm hoping that by adding some extras to it they'll be happier :thumbsup:

Guest Augustine The Boxer

Carrots

Vitamins: Beta Carotene (A), Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pantothenic Acid (B5), Pyridoxine (B6), Folic Acid (B9), Ascorbic Acid ©, Choline, Tocopherol (E), and K.

Minerals: Calcium (Ca), Copper (Cu), Iron (Fe), (Magnesium (Mg), Manganese (Mn), Molybdenum (Mo), Phosphorus (P), Potassium (K), Selenium (Se), Sodium (Na), and Zinc (Zn).

Essential Fatty Acids: Omega 3 and Omega 6.

Other Nutrients: Amino Acids, Betaine, Fibre, and Fluoride (F-).

Carrot contains beta carotene and the compound falcarinol which protect animals from cancer. Carrot has few rivals when it comes to beta-carotene and The National Cancer Institute is studying the whole family of umbelliferous foods, of which carrots are a member, for protective effects.

Carrot also helps prevent heart disease due to its antioxidant abilities.

My lot reckon carrots, lumps of pumpkin and cucumbers are yummy-crunchy-noms.

and it is easy to find their poo as it has these little orange bits and cucumber seeds, so easy to see in the grass :-D

Bonus! :laugh:

My dogs would not talk to me any more, if I forgot to get them crunchy carrots! They are great as a treat and also clean the teeth. Due to the 'relatively' high sugar content I would not feed too many to a dog with cancer, but for a healthy dog carrots are fantastic. If you consider giving carrots as vegetable as a part of their meal, please bear in mind that a dog's digestive system is unable to break open the cells of vegetables (you will find pieces in their poo), therefore puree them and add then to the food and all is good.

Happy crunching!

Dagmar

http://animalconnection.com.au

Edited by Dagmar

Hi everyone my Golden Shane has just had a cruciate ligament repair about a fortnight ago its looking good But' he must lose weight so am grating heaps of carrots to mix in with his dog food he has brown rice two tablespoons of lean mince or chicken with Royal Canin kibble I halved that and put in the grated carrots to replace the bulk,he is not complaining at all in the fortnight he has lost about a kilo' my Vet is very pleased as half a kilo a week is the right way to go about it apparently.

Must admit he is spoiled' but then he is 10years old and a gentler sweeter old gentleman you will not find,he is bit peeved at the moment as he cannot get up on the bed until his knee is healed.

So go for your life on the Carrots they are a fantastic filler.embarrass.gif

Guest Augustine The Boxer

There are many ingredients that are healthy for dogs but they refuse to eat them. If you wish to feed a fussy dog for nutritional benefit an easy way is to puree and mix with something they love to eat.

If you wish to feed whole carrots for healthy teeth and gums you can attempt to dip into a stock to gain smell and flavour but no guarantees it will work. Good luck.