Help/advice Needed - Paralysis Tick, He's In Intensive Care

Grove_burger

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have no "emergency" vets here

two of our vets have a contact number for after hours, you do pay more if you need them, but at least your pet is with their normal vet :)

My vet also works 7 days a week and does not charge extra for weekend visits

Sending positive vibes for you and Melton. I pulled a tick of my little Paddy's nose only last week - I was shocked to have found one so early this year! Thankfully caught it before it had done him any damage - pure luck as he was having a bath and it certainly stood out! We were so lucky, I'll be hoping for good news for you guys!

Melton is out of the worse, yay! He's still on a drip but off the oxygen. He still has some regurgitation but that's apparently to still be expected, according to the vet.

Yeah, he's in a vet hospital, 24 hour around the clock vet care. Very $$$$$ but it's also his normal vet :o

Hopefully he'll be home in a day or so once he recovers a bit more and starts eating and drinking. At least I'll be home with him, we can recover together :D

Other puppies are insured now!!

Melton is out of the worse, yay! He's still on a drip but off the oxygen. He still has some regurgitation but that's apparently to still be expected, according to the vet.

Yeah, he's in a vet hospital, 24 hour around the clock vet care. Very $$$$$ but it's also his normal vet :o

Hopefully he'll be home in a day or so once he recovers a bit more and starts eating and drinking. At least I'll be home with him, we can recover together :D

Other puppies are insured now!!

oh thank the Dog Gods...

another chiming in here to say my vets Brisbane valley area and surround have many lively ticks about at the moment and sadly many dogs with tick poisoning

Healing thoughts still heading out to melton

H

Yay for Melton, hope he gets back to good health asap. :crossfingers:

Sort of OT, just wondering about something regarding tick paralysis. Do dogs/animals build up any resistance to their bite after being 'bitten' by a tick or is each time a dog is bitten (hopefully it doesn't happen) as bad as the first time if not found in time. Sorry if it's a stupid question.... :dummy: but having never been exposed to ticks I have no knowledge/experience with them.

So glad your dog is on the mend. He was very lucky.

This is definitely a timely reminder for Victorians not to discount tick Paralysis as an "up North Thing". Keep 'em covered with tick and flea protection.

This is definitely a timely reminder for Victorians not to discount tick Paralysis as an "up North Thing". Keep 'em covered with tick and flea protection.

Why? Ticks are only found on the east coast of Vic.

OP is in Brissy.

How early! All I can say, My Stella had a very bad paralysis, that is total, was on breathing machine for 2 days and then on oxygen for 2, had bad pneumonia, and she is 10. She eventualy got out and as good as always today. So dont give up, though there is a chance of sad outcome..:( And she had 2 doses of anti-serum.

Stella has sore legs and she often doesn't go anywhere at all, just 100m down the street and then back, all on footpath. The tick or bite spot was never found. Go figure... you don't need to go bush to catch it.

I had a cat who caught paralysis tick in a seaside suburb of Coffs Harbour. He was losing his battle when the vet called me and said we were losing him so he could let him go or try a second dose of the anti-serum. I went with that and he pulled through. He was a helluva pussy cat. (been known to get the better of staffies and shepherds). Anyway after being a very sick boy for days he pulled through and lived until he was 14. So that second dose may well do the trick. Good luck.

Edited by westiemum

OP is in Brissy.

I know, that is why I questioned the post about Vic.

Good news that Melton has made a recovery.

Yay for Melton, hope he gets back to good health asap. :crossfingers:

Sort of OT, just wondering about something regarding tick paralysis. Do dogs/animals build up any resistance to their bite after being 'bitten' by a tick or is each time a dog is bitten (hopefully it doesn't happen) as bad as the first time if not found in time. Sorry if it's a stupid question.... :dummy: but having never been exposed to ticks I have no knowledge/experience with them.

That is an old wives tale! They don't build up immunity. But if they need to have ATS more than once in a season the dog/cat can have a nasty reaction to the second dose.

Great news your baby is doing better :thumbsup: