Something Freaky Just Happened.

luffy4688

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll soon be able to do this

Wishing you both the best of healing vibes.

The one bark that the corgi did at the end of the video sparked my three dogs into a barking frenzy :laugh:

They all ran outside expecting there to be a dog to bark at. Silly mutts!

And Bailey, such a cute little man, hope he gets better really soon. :thumbsup:

Back with another small positive update! :)

Bailey is currently home! Sleeping soundly in his crate at the moment. Vet said he's doing well and said as long as we can keep him crated he don't see why he should remain at the vet any longer. He can now control his left hind leg, though it's still weak.

Vet taught us how to massage his hind legs to keep him comfortable and also walked him at home a little while gently holding up his back. He's due back for a check up next Wedneday.

Being home will help with his recovery so much. :thumbsup:

I'm so happy this is turning out well for Bailey. My parents had a Daschund years ago and he damaged his back and was paralysed in the rear. It was recommended he be PTS by the vet at the time. :(

Edited by LizT

Thanks for the well wishes guys! =) I'll continue to keep this thread updated. Fingers crossed there will only be good news.

For those who asked for pictures, I'll have to dig some up. But here's a link to a video that my friend took about a year ago. How time flies.

Bailey Video

Edited by luffy4688

Small update.

Bailey had a checkup today and vet is happy with his progress. ;)

Bailey can currently walk, though it's slightly unstable as he has not regain full control of his hind legs motor movement. But he's been given the green light for short walks, though everything now will be strictly on-leash.

Small update.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); "><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">Bailey had a checkup today and vet is happy with his progress. ;)<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">Bailey can currently walk, though it's slightly unstable as he has not regain full control of his hind legs motor movement. But he's been given the green light for short walks, though everything now will be strictly on-leash

:thumbsup: That is a BIG update :)

I was going to ask about whether there was something in his crate as well. Has he settled down this morning?

I find it interesting that often people are reluctant to reassure and comfort a frightened dog in a calm manner - not specifically your situation luffy but just generally.

I know the theory is that you are re-enforcing the fear but I wonder whether that is really valid. A prominent vet behaviourist here describes that theory as "nonsense" and believes that offering the dog "calming signals" is more effective.

A Victorian Vet Behaviourist has said the same in a lecture recently too.

Reason is that fear/anxiety is an emotional response and you are not going to reinforce or increase it by comforting the dog as it just 'is'. Makes sense, really.

I think it is because of the fine line between someone picking the wrong moment and manner of reassurance for the wrong Behaviour. I see more evidence of reinforcement of fear Behaviour than I do of dogs who have not been "comforted". There are so many variables to this - the dog; the situation; the level of fear response; the regularatory of it; the learning history of the dog .... And more. Be calm. Be assertive in in a quiet manner. As a general rule of thumb I think would cover more situations with less risk of inadvertent reinforcement. Along the way of working with my own boy, he came to understand me when I would say "it's ok". Although not began as a reassurance for fear, I find I can help him relax more in tense situations by using that phrase. But as I said, it can be a fine line and if putting it out to the general public to reassure their dogs when their dogs exhibit fear responses, it needs to be explained quite specifically ...... And that can be difficult to do when many different and individual contingencies need to be taken into account. IMO. :)

Sorry to put such a long post up in your thread for Bailey. I've been following it and I hope all proves to go well for him. At the beginning I wondered if the fright that made him suddenly lurch could have been the result of static electricity from one of his bed blankets. That's happened with my boy once as he moved around to get comfy and made him jolt off his bed as though something had bitten him. I really do hope he continues to recover well. :)