I Thought I'd Heard And Seen It All

Guest Ams

Got a referral today from a NSW Pound re a lady wanting to surrender her bitch and 3 x 10 week old puppies because she couldn't find homes for these three remaining puppies.

Sounds kinda routine but bearing in mind the breed I specifically rescue has a life expectancy of 10 years, the bitch is FIFTEEN years old. Words failed me.

Owner stated she knew I'd put the bitch down. Well no I won't but jeesus 15 and still having puppies!

Apparently she had been responsible and put bitch pants on the gal whilst she was in season and she just doesn't know how her two male dogs managed to get them off her and tie.

Yes I have someone driving interstate tomorrow to collect all four of em and bringing them to us. I just can't wait to see what condition she is in. I suspect I will be purchasing a lot of Science AD food.

Edited by Ams

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a lovely bull terrier bitch and pups sent to us via our Pregnant Paws program.

Mum was eclamptic and given poor nutrition - pups were 12 days old.

This mum was 9 years old and the owners felt she was "menopausal" and surprised she had a "change of life" litter.

Mum was returned to her owners desexed, vacc'd and chipped/registered. Puppies were rehomed by us with all vet work done.

xx LP xx

Guest donatella

Humans fail these creatures so so so many times.

Good on you Ams for taking them in. If it weren't for people like you picking up after these morons we'd be in a world of trouble :)

Isn't this just a shocker? Old mumma will only be desexed if Ams wonderful vet thinks it is in the dogs best interests. I think there is already interest in a home for her where she can see out her days in comfort (and where she will be safe from further matings if desexing is too great a risk). We should know sometime today what condition they are all in once they arrive at Peiradise.

There are some parvo probs where they come from so quarantine will be strict. I'll be at Ams next weekend so if she doesn't get around to adding any photos I'll take my camera and see what I can get. I'm secretly hoping she might let me foster a puppy or three when they are ready for that but I always love whichever pei comes here regardless.

Ams do you know how many pups mumma actually had? Should we check this one with Mr Guinness in case it's a record?????

Mum and bubs have arrived. Surprisingly they are in reasonable condition. Never been wormed (but have now biggrin.gif). Two pups are very shy and the other is just OUT THERE. He is sooooo confident. Mum is a little stressed and snappy at the moment so I have taken the pups away from her. I didn't want to risk not being able to go in the pen if she was protecting them. Pups currently barking up a storm in my bathroom. I'm off to see if I can get an arvo nap.

All of them are horsecoats (the super short spikey coats).

PS is right. I will spey if the vet says it is okay to do so, if not then she will be placed in a permanent foster home.

Edited by Ams