So Angry!

Ronah

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a post I did 6 months ago in a thread about keeping your dog on lead. . It is a shame the OP didn't read that thread before she started this one.

Yesterday we witnessed a really foul bogan family let their two untrained dogs off-lead, who then both jumped in the creek and chased wildlife.The chased the water dragons, and ducks and scared all the turtles away. I thought one of the dogs was going to drown at one stage, it was really struggling. I was really hoping one of the disgusting bogans would fall in the creek, but unfortunately it didn't happen. It took them over twenty minutes to get their dogs back on lead, mainly because of the fact that they were so stupid.

So there is another angle on not letting dogs off-lead. They harass and kill wildlife and make their owners look like tools.

Oh...and Ronah , No one is calling you an abusive owner .

What is meant by myself and others is that your method of dealing with the behaviour is both badly timed, and meaningless, for the dog - plus being confusing for her.

Once again - you say you know dogs 'live in the moment', however your way of reacting to the shock you received involved 'the cold shoulder' long after the behaviour occurred .

A lot of times , as dog owners, we need to deal with being upset at our dog's actions, while keeping to normal behaviour where the dog is concerned . It can be very tricky !

I hope you can find a good trainer to help you and your dog understand each other , and enjoy safe walks.

We all know that hunting is natural for dogs but how many of you take precautions to avoid it happening? To the OP, I understand that you would be disappointed in your dog's behaviour but you made it clear that you were aware of your dog's penchant for hunting so therefore why didn't you have him on a leash? As for other posters, you appear to be accepting of your dog/s killing and just shrug it off as it being a normal course of nature. :mad

All of my own dogs - and all of my fosters - are taught "leave it" and "give"... and even "gentle"... so that I can have some semblance of control when they get something in their mouth I don't want them to have.

It definitely does make life easier when our dogs have at least a bit of effective obedience training... *grin*

T.

Wow, one thread, so many assumptions!

To the OP if you ever come back, I saw no bullying or abuse. Maybe one or two used slightly harsh words but just brush that off as 'passionate posting'.

When you write a story asking for advice, people with great dog knowledge are going to assess the entire post and offer advice on every aspect of it. I see the responses given as informing you that you acted inappropriately from a dog training point of view, and offering you training advice on recall. "If you punish your dog when she returns to you, it trains her not to return to you." Rather than take offense and think everyone is calling you a bad owner, take on board the help offered.

If you ONLY want advice regarding the killing of the bobtail then just say "My dog killed a bobtail, how can I stop this happening again?" but to be honest I think you would have missed out on some valuable advice here on how to react when your dog does something you're not happy about, and then comes to you. We all learn from our mistakes, but we can't do that if nobody points them out.

I'd take Hardy's Angel's advice on redirecting her response, and until it's bomb proof, either keep her on leash or use a wire muzzle.

Perfumed Lillium, where did anyone say that they condoned their dog/s' hunting? The majority of posters said it's natural behaviour and then gave advice to deal with it/stop it/ direct attention away. Just because we acknowledge it's natural doesn't mean we want it to happen.

We all know that hunting is natural for dogs but how many of you take precautions to avoid it happening? To the OP, I understand that you would be disappointed in your dog's behaviour but you made it clear that you were aware of your dog's penchant for hunting so therefore why didn't you have him on a leash? As for other posters, you appear to be accepting of your dog/s killing and just shrug it off as it being a normal course of nature. :mad

How many people here are you suggesting don't use a simple precaution like a lead to stop this happening? To allow a dog to be offlead (in a non-designated area ) so it can harrass or kill wildlife is illegal and cruel, why do you think anyone in this thread would do that?

What precautions are you taking, and what makes you think you are so unique?

Anyone who understands dogs knows that a dog has an instinctive prey drive. Anyone who is responsible then takes precautions to prevent it happening.

As for other posters, you appear to be accepting of your dog/s killing and just shrug it off as it being a normal course of nature. :mad

I am accepting- it's what dogs do.

yes I do take precautions as much as I can ..long lines/fences/keeping dogs contained/muzzles ..however things still happen from time to time, and it is usually a result of human error.

Yes I am accepting that they will kill, they're DOGS!

My breed is very old and after such a long time being used as a hunting/herding/watch dog those instincts will be very deeply ingrained in the dogs temperament and I'm not going to try to breed that out of them because they take out the odd innocent animal.

Off cause I don't encourage it. They are trained very well and I can call every single one of them off the chase or prey but in the end they will do what dogs do and I can't keep an eye on them 24/7. I live on a property and we have a number of creatures getting into the yard mostly birds, lizards, possums, rats, rabbits and mice and yes, they have caught them on occasion.

I don't praise them or allow them too go out chasing roo's or harassing animals, they stay on lead when they are walked and if there is an animal in the yard I'll make sure it's out before I let the dogs out.

What the hell else can I do????

Edited by Bjelkier

I personaly think it's pretty stock standard dog behaviour and if you don't want the dog killing animals whilst off lead then you'd best muzzle the dog such as a wire basket muzzle that Greyhounds wear.

I'd still have the dog on a lead.

The wire basket muzzles do not stop a dog from grabbing or even eating things. One of my recent fosters could play with toys (pick them up and throw them around) and eat with a basket muzzle on- and that was a UK yard muzzle (which is much better than a wire basket muzzle) with the built-in stool guard that lines the bottom of the muzzle and all the way up to the nose.

A muzzle may give you a bit more time to intervene but I'd never rely on one to stop a dog from harming another animal. My own dog was actually attacked by a foster dog wearing a muzzle and bitten quite badly on the neck. All it took was a few seconds and the damage was done (and the dog in question was smaller and much weaker than Kiff). For a lizard or a cat, a muzzle might buy them a few more seconds of suffering before the dog killed them, not much more. I'd never rely on muzzles to do my job (which is protecting both other animals and my own dogs from their behaviour), even something like the safe handling muzzle (which is moulded plastic) as dogs can do damage with more than just their mouths.

Anyways.. dog on lead unless a very reliable response can be expected from the dog. Safer for everyone, in my opinion.

I encourage mine to hunt, after all they are Sighthounds and Terriers and that's what they were bred to do.

I encourage mine to hunt

Me too, Chess is quite a good little mouser. But she knows that mice are for killing, sheep and ducks are for herding, and other birds/lizards/insects/horses are to be left alone. The only one she hasn't figured out what to do with yet is cats, so she stays on-lead around them (although if they don't run she won't react to them).

Edited by Weasels

I encourage mine to hunt mice, and Kibah is the champion mouser, but as I said before I've trained them not to chase the parrots, and just about 5 minutes ago I snapped a shot of Kibah looking at one. Admittedly they dont often sit this close so she was certainly interested but I'm happy to say the parrot is alive and well, and yes, my glass sliding door really is that dirty, imagine a herd of whippets running in and out many times per day in Winter with mud on their paws. If it's too clean the dogs run head first into it, Penny nearly knocked herself out once after I'd washed it. That's my excuse

8008239532_802ab828d9_z.jpg

5F6A1993dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

I encourage mine to hunt mice, and Kibah is the champion mouser, but as I said before I've trained them not to chase the parrots, and just about 5 minutes ago I snapped a shot of Kibah looking at one. Admittedly they dont often sit this close so she was certainly interested but I'm happy to say the parrot is alive and well, and yes, my glass sliding door really is that dirty, imagine a herd of whippets running in and out many times per day in Winter with mud on their paws. If it's too clean the dogs run head first into it, Penny nearly knocked herself out once after I'd washed it. That's my excuse

8008239532_802ab828d9_z.jpg

5F6A1993dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Haha.. :laugh: I like your reasoning! My girls stop at the door to have their feet wiped because of the Cavalier fluffy slippers getting all wet and muddy...but they put their little dirty wet paws on the glass door and slide down waiting for me to come let them in!!!

To the OP, you have been given various helpful advice...don't be hard on yourself or your dog...keep her on a long line when out..but remember a small creature can easily come into her space and end up dead. She is a dog and it is her nature to hunt. You can train her to help improve the odds of her not doing it again but you will need to be consistent and immediate. I had a Schipperke that killed our chickens...we worked on it and thought we had it beat as she didn't kill another..for 5 years..then she went on a continuous killing spree??!! So we had to prevent her free access on the property as the chooks free ranged during the day. It was a pain as she was able to squeeze through so many small openings. :mad

Giving your dog the Cold shoulder will do no good as she will have moved on from the event you are still brooding over and have no clue why you are unhappy with her. My advice is to "kiss and make up' with your best friend. :)

no, most of us don't let our dogs run amok killing anything they see.

There is another way to look at this - that your dog may just have been protecting you from what it saw as danger - a snake or somethign?

I have long grass in some parts of my yard and most summers I sadly come home to find the odd Blue Tongue lizard killed by one of my dogs. It is the terriers that do it here, not the Maltese.

I've even found one still alive and rushed it to the vet. I shed tears over every one and although i say "who did this?" in a horrified voice, I would never punish them for doing this in any way.

As for "pinning" the dog down, really that doesn't work as a method of training. I removed a dog from someone who was cross that her new rescue dog wasn't housetrained and thought that by pinning the dog it would get the idea it was doing the wrong thing.

The result was one very traumatised dog that took several months of good foster care to recover.

I see the OP will see this as an attack - it isn't, it is simply advice from someone who has experience of the same ... :)