Is There A Cutoff Age For Owning A Dog?

redangel

I am wondering whether people have a perception at what age people should cease seeking to own a dog/purchase a puppy. I have friends older than me that often say I think when so and so passes I wont get another dog because Ill be too old. Is there a magic invisible age that makes someone not acceptable to buying a new dog? Is it an individual thing? We are all here for however long (fate decides this) does this come into play when rehoming dogs? Im certainly hoping Im not on my "last dog"..unless fate decides otherwise!

I'm happy to adopt dogs out to older people but in the case of the very elderly (80+), I'd want to discuss the adoption with the family, also.

Having a breed that can live up to 15 years, the last thing we'd want to see is the owner dying and the family dumping the dog at the pound. So, even if the family aren't willing to care for the dog if the owner passes, we do require that they agree to return the dog to us, rather than disposing of it themselves (unless the owner has made other arrangements for the dog- pts, rehome outside of family, etc).

It does also depend a bit on the temperament of the dog they wanted.

I wouldn't adopt out a young, drivey and energetic grey to an elderly person because honestly, it's an accident waiting to happen as they (the dogs, not the elderly person >.>) can lunge at prey items with a huge amount of force and possibly pull over and badly hurt an older person.

Generally speaking though, I prefer older adopters as they're usually more stable, don't have children at home and from my experience, less likely to return dogs (for whatever reason).

I think you need to have a plan in place no matter what your age. just because I'm in my twentys does not guarantee I won't get sick with cancer next month, or get hit by a bus crossing the road tomorrow. Zeke would go to my Mum and Dad and Maya returned to her breeder for rehoming. My birds, my cat, my beardies and my mice left to particular workmates.

My Inlaws that are in their mid 60's recently lost their Rottweiler,& have said they are now not getting any more dogs, due to their age & the fact that they now want to travel more, so I think it is really personal choice.

With my last litter, one of my puppies went to a couple in their 70's, but their daughter is very much involved too, & I'm sure if anything where to happen to her parents, she would take the dog.

I don't have a problem with older people getting one of my puppies, aslong as they have a plan in place if anything where to happen to them, & I will always take the dog back myself & rehome it, if the plan where to change. :)

I think everyone needs to have a plan for their dogs (no matter what age you are ) if anything was to happen to us.

Edited by Baileys mum

People die at any age but people who are old and die more often make arrangements for their pets before that happens.

Believe me one thing I've learned for sure working with Pacers is that shit happens to people all over the place and families want to dump the dogs no matter their age.

I don't doubt it Steve. Working in a shelter once I was amazed at the fact that there is no type for shelter "dumping", before working there I thought it was a socio-economic thing. I learnt otherwise. I also learned that some number are people who have been left responsible for a pet which for one way or another no plans were made should the owner pass. Decisions get made at the most stressful time, often I guess by people not in knowledge of the late owners wishes.

I can not imagine life without a dog as yet so I hope my opportunity to own one continues for a long time to come! Interested to hear the input of people with experiences in homing dogs to older people, I hope I get the chance to be one one day.

Yes to what HA & Chris said. Both aimed at plans being in place... if a choice is made.

Even tho' death & illness can strike at any age, stats are higher for the older age group. So plans take on a special significance.

Also matter relating to care...like activity levels and needs of a puppy/dog. ease of handling for bathing & general care etc.

Given all those cautions...& possible remedies are in place...then it comes down to individual cases, rather than a certain age cut-off.

Just my opinion, but mature age dogs (even senior) with a settled and flexible temperament are good for older people.

Man next door told me how, in the course of his job, he knocked at the door of an elderly lady. She opened it with the biggest, calmest senior greyhound standing beside her. Turns out her family had helped her adopt...provided daily dog walking...and any vet care. (And would take full responsibility at any time). They'd judged she'd be less likely tripped up by this calm grey...& could actually lean on him for support. Also his couch potato preferred lifestyle made him a perfect companion for her quieter life.

Being a greyhound lover himself, our neighbour was impressed with the planning & thought.

Edited by mita

I vowed I would not get another dog after Kaisie passed. And to be honest, I didn't want to change breeds either.

BUT ....it was so damned quiet and lonely without that presence - specially knowing that we would soon be empty nesters as well.

So fate took its course and I started looking for a smaller dog that would be more adaptable to a change in habitat because we will need to move from out acreage eventually. Certainly within the next 10 years.

The breed I chose, for some reason, seemed to allude me. :laugh: No breeders returned my messages and even the rescue failed to respond!

I was then offered a dog of a breed I'd barely heard of - let alone seen! Could not even pronounce the name! And thus we got the little "darling" that was clearly meant for us!

I was worried what would happen if I could not longer care for a dog, but this breeder is not only willing, but insists, that she be returned in those circumstances. Which is a huge load off my mind.

She is keeping us on our toes, is keeping us active and makes us laugh every day! She's a stroke of genius!

Must get a decent photo to put up some time. :o

This is a topic very close to my heart as I will be seventy next year. I can't imagine life without a dog. They are wonderful company and I actually have the time to care for them and spoil them. I also have a hearing loss and dog company makes me feel safer.

One of the problems is not knowing how long my life will be. My mother and both her sisters lived in their own homes to their nineties so I could have another twenty years.

However I would rather not leave a dog behind. My current dogs are ten and five. I expect to outlive the ten year old, and I have always said the five year old would be my last but perhaps I can squeeze in another. My ten year old was a rescue dog that I got two years ago and I would say it took him twelve months to truly bond to me. I don't think I could go with a pup, but something older perhaps, but young enough for some training which I enjoy.

If I were to get another dog I would have my children help me choose in the hope that would make them feel responsible and more likely to take over its care if anything happened. I have also left $5000 with a CPI clause in my will for each animal that should outlive me. One son has agreed to take on my five year old, but who knows his circumstances might change. If my dogs could not go straight from me to a permanent home I would prefer that they be PTS. I do not want my dogs to ever end up in a pound.

I think dogs are wonderful company for the elderly es[pecially if they live alone. I know my mother aged quickly after she lost her last dog, a boxer, partly because she stopped walking. In some ways it makes sense for the elderly to only take on older dogs, but that could mean they will be many times bereaved which is as painful for them as for a younger person. Also some people believe that smaller dogs are best for the elderly but this is not necessarily so because it is easier to trip over a small dog. Yet a very large dog would be inappropriate because they would be too heavy to lift. My current dogs are both small to medium and I think that is an ideal size.

I think healthy older people can be wonderful owners for the right dog. Yes, if they're getting towards the end of their life you would want to talk about 'what if' plans I think. It would be good to have those plans reflected in a will, so everyone knows what's what.

Breed choice would be very important. I really think there are some breeds that would be too dangerous for an older person. And of course tiny dogs can trip people up (even younger people at times) and this can be a serious consideration for people who aren't as nimble as they once were.

But let's not forget the great company dogs can offer older people, and the great health benefits of getting out and about with your dog.

So I think it would need to be an overall assessment of the right dog, for the right person, with the right support, and a breeder as back-up.

I hope I am never in a situation of living without a dog. I know it happens to most of us eventually. No wonder therapy dogs are so very popular in retirement homes.

Just adding - My friend had a visitor at her place with her 2 dalmatians in tow a few years ago, and this visitor died unexpectedly of a heart attack while they were wandering around the garden.

The two dogs were a huge stress to my (older) friend on an already very stressful day. Her friend was lying dead on the grass, she had to call an ambulance out to her rural property, the two dogs were running around everywhere.

And for the next week and a half, the family refused to come and collect the dogs, which had developed a taste for my friend's chickens.

Luckily, eventually, the woman's brother came to get the dogs. I don't know where he took them, but I do know he didn't want to keep them himself.

So yes, it really is important to have a plan and make sure your family knows what your plan is, and what you need them to do if the worst happens.

Sometimes it is appropriate to match the right dog to the right age but one of the big issues is that quite often older people (I'm talking about 70+) want a puppy. What happens to that dog when the owner goes into a nursing home, retirement village or passes away?

I recently rescued a Pom cross who was living on a tiny 5th floor balcony as an outside only dog .... He was matted, in need of a dental and unhappy of course.

When I got the ownership papers through it seems he'd been purchased by a Pensioner (I know they may not have necessarily been old but this is the likely scenario) and at 8 yrs of age found himself in the RSPCA. He was picked up by his new owners who kept him outside, first at a house and then the unit where he didn't even have a bed. Poor dog. He came here and he was fully housetrained so he was probably loved by the person who had him for his first 8 yrs, very sad that he then had 3 hard years before I got him. He is now living with a work colleague who adores him, he's 11.5 and hopefully has quite a few good years left in him.

Last week Iggy Rescue took on a 9 month old puppy surrendered to the pound. Turns out the dog's owners were in their 70s and got sick and they couldn't cope with this high energy and demanding breed. The breeder actually rang me and said they might want the dog back - I said it isn't going to happen and I would never place a puppy in a home with people of that age.

I find it refreshing when an elderly person calls me and wants an older dog, I'm usually very happy to help.

I have 2 dogs Smooch who is a inside dog, on the small side for a kelpie. Than there is Jimmy another kelpie who is my working dog. Jimmy is a outside dog. Smooch I don't have problems with picking him up and putting him into the laundry tub for a bath, Jimmy on the other hand is too heavy for me to lift therefore doesn't get bathed that often. I have decided that Smooch is my last dog as I hope he will be around for a few years yet (he is 11) and by than I don't think my body would cope with looking after a dog. In the mean time if anything happens to me Smooch goes to my vet and Jimmy will most likely stay with ES if not my farrier will take him. I must also add that Smooch is slightly disabled and and therefore high maintenance.

Some people are not old at seventy, while some people are old when they are much younger. My auntie in her eighties used to drive around delivering meals on wheels to people younger than herself. Some agility competitors are 70+ and many obedience competitors are in their seventies. Also young people can become seriously ill as has been mentioned earlier in this thread and their dogs may end up in the pound or in rescue. It is not okay to evaluate prospective dog owners only by their age, nor is it okay to only consider them suitable for the older dogs. If I were to live another 20 years and were only to take on dogs over 10 I could lose 6 or 7 dogs. I have just lost my cat and it hurts. I don't mind taking on one (perhaps 2) old dog (one of mine was 8 and a rescue when I got him) but I don't want to be limited only to old dogs because some rescuer decides I am nursing home bound in the next few years. I know many older people who are leading very active lives and having a ball because they now have the time to do what they have always wanted to do with their lives which might be owning and training a dog.

Guest lavendergirl

No, there should not be a cutoff age - just the right choice of dog for the person's circumstances.

Many older people would be lost without their pets - it gives them a purpose in life, and there are so many dogs in need of a kind owner of any age :)

As a breeder it is a conversation I have quite often. I will always do what is best for the dog concerned and I don't really think placing a puppy with an elderly person is in anyone's best interests not only in terms of activity but also expected life span.

I try to steer them in the direction of an older dog but even then they must have a plan. People often say oh my son will take the dog. If the son is not a doggy person he is unlikely to really do that and even if he does, will the dog live a quality life. If they have a close family that also has shelties I am far less concerned. I do really feel for people without that support as I can't imagine life without a dog so on a couple of occasions I have lent them a dog of my own. Theirs to love and look after as long as they are able but they are to come home otherwise. I keep in regular contact and the dogs often come back for holidays so still very much part of the family.