V.i.p. Natures Goodness Grainfree Dryfood

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which supermarkets is it at? Had a look for it the other day and no luck?

Esky I buy the three kilo bags from Woolies at the Arkaba. I'm going to see if they have the newer seven kilo bags tomorrow and if not I'll try Woolies at Unley. The seven kilo bags bring the price down to a tad over $4.00/kg - which is really reasonable I think. thumbsup1.gif

Edited by westiemum

Jess123 I feed my greyhounds VIP because they do well on it, it's affordable and easily sourced. After two years of purchasing premium dry foods of all brands and flavours Stan still did awful poos. Since being on this he has firm poos, much less output and looks fantastic, my vet is very impressed. I don't consider myself a bad owner because I don't feed TOTW, I feed what works for us...and Stan's bum.

Anyway Stans mum, I would consider you the very best of dog owners as you feed Stan what works best for Stan & his bum :laugh: No matter what type of food it is. It is not about the

name or $$$ etc it's about whatever keeps your dog in his best condition. Only a very caring owner who takes pride in their BF's health & condition would go to the trouble of trail & error to get it right :thumbsup:

Jess123 I feed my greyhounds VIP because they do well on it, it's affordable and easily sourced. After two years of purchasing premium dry foods of all brands and flavours Stan still did awful poos. Since being on this he has firm poos, much less output and looks fantastic, my vet is very impressed. I don't consider myself a bad owner because I don't feed TOTW, I feed what works for us...and Stan's bum.

Anyway Stans mum, I would consider you the very best of dog owners as you feed Stan what works best for Stan & his bum :laugh: No matter what type of food it is. It is not about the

name or $$ etc it's about whatever keeps your dog in his best condition. Only a very caring owner who takes pride in their BF's health & condition would go to the trouble of trail & error to get it right :thumbsup:

Well said BCC. thumbsup1.gif What works for one dog doesn't necessarily work for others. Which is why I'm asking questions about my new foster in General Discussion at the moment. Just because it works for the westies doesn't mean it will work for a foster who needs rehabbing. :)

I ventured into Woolworths the other day to pick up a 3kg bag to try with my dog who is currently on Black Hawk. She has no issues with BH, but I am looking for a food that I can feed both my dogs, so thought I'd give this a go as a compromise that perhaps both could be on. Surprised to see 7kg bags sitting there, so I picked one up. Comes to $4.14/kilo, a few cents saving a kilo on the Black Hawk, and a couple of dollars a kilo saving on the Earthborn Holistic :) Trying it out first with my Black Hawk eater, and if all goes well with her, will consider changing my other over to VIP as well :)

There are savings to be made on the 'premium' dogfoods if you buy a 20kg bag.....I do not as I mainly feed BARF.

I also don't like having a bag of opened dogfood for any length of time.

I know in the USA there have been instances of dogs getting sick from dry dogfood that has been kept for more than 1 month without being refrigerated. That surprised me.....but I digress.

What I wanted to say was that there is a BIG difference between paying $21.95 for a 3kg bag of Black Hawk and $92.50 for 20kgs when you look at the per kg rate.

I buy 20kg of Black Hawk, and based my per kg cost on that. 20kg of BH here costs me $95, translated to $4.75/kilo. Basing the per kg cost of a 7kg bag of VIP (being the largest currently available), it costs $4.14/kilo. If/when VIP bring out larger bags, I imagine yet again that will be even more cost effective. It also costs me $95 for a 12kg bag of Earthborn Holistic grain free, based on that, it is costing me $7.91/kilo. If VIP works for my dogs, that's a saving I like :)

name or $$$ etc it's about whatever keeps your dog in his best condition. Only a very caring owner who takes pride in their BF's health & condition would go to the trouble of trail & error to get it right :thumbsup:

Thanks BCC :) The thing is there are reputable breeders and others here on DOL that always say...feed what works for your dog, but people continue to overthink it. Nothing worse than a runny bum dog, frustrating for me trying to find something that worked for him and sad for him always having the squirts :( Just happy to see my boy happy and whilst it's probably not the "best" kibble it's working for us :) It's only a small part of their diet anyway, they are fed mainly raw, sardines, tuna and cottage cheese and they are happy campers :)

Yes Stans mum, my guys are pretty much the exact same style of diet & raw/dry & extra's ratio. Seems to work for them as well. Took us a lot of sampling, especially with the dry food even though it only makes up around 1/4 to a 1/3 of their diet.

Edited by BC Crazy

Yes Stans mum, my guys are pretty much the exact same style of diet & raw/dry & extra's ratio. Seems to work for them as well. Took us a lot of sampling, especially with the dry food even though it only makes up around 1/4 to a 1/3 of their diet.

Yep they have 3/4 cup of kibble morning and night besides the stuff I've mentioned. Throw in a chicken wing or lamb flap during the week I think they do ok :)

Stan's Mum thats so true. I think we all can get caught in the overthinking trap and get far too uptight about what to feed our dogs.

Its a bit haphazard round here at the moment as I'm working very long hours. So one night last week I came home with fish and chips for all having no dog food unthawed - and guess what the westies ate!! embarrass.gif They loved eating with me and it certainly didn't do them any harm for one night. And I'll bet my life that I'm not the only one on DOL who has done this sort of thing from time to time! laugh.gif

Rehabbing little Oliver is a different matter - need to get his skin ears and coat right - but quite frankly all the DOL advice seems to be that all he need is some minor tinkering to the westies diet and he'll do well. thumbsup1.gif.

Might even try him on some fish and chips.... laugh.gif

Edited by westiemum

Jess - you seem desperate to compare the AU pet food market to the US one when very different regulations apply.

If you want to become properly informed so you can give advice which is not alarmist and is actually correct then I would recommend you read the Australia Standard in the manufacture and labelling of pet food which is made here and which is also imported into the country.

It is AS 5812.

:rofl: at the fish and chips Westiemum! I bet they want that everynight now!

I'm going to go to Woolies tomorrow and see if they stock it and buy a bag to try. I currently pay $119 for a 13.5 kg bag of Canidae and Coop is loosing too much weight on it. He needs to be lean for his hips but it's getting to the point he looks like a racing Grey! I also am single as of one week time and need to find work so something cheaper if they do well on it would be bloody helpful!

:rofl: at the fish and chips Westiemum! I bet they want that everynight now!

I'm going to go to Woolies tomorrow and see if they stock it and buy a bag to try. I currently pay $119 for a 13.5 kg bag of Canidae and Coop is loosing too much weight on it. He needs to be lean for his hips but it's getting to the point he looks like a racing Grey! I also am single as of one week time and need to find work so something cheaper if they do well on it would be bloody helpful!

Luckily for me my garbage guts will eat anything - on the night in question it was really late, I was buggered and we were all starving - so fish and chips seemed a reasonable option at the time! So yes they would eat it every night - but then they do eat anything!!rofl1.gif

B needing to cut costs was also the reason I went looking for a cheaper grain-free alternative as well. And the westies seem to be doing well on it as an occasional food. (They are raw eaters most of the time... apart from fish and chip nights....embarrass.gifrofl1.gif

Mine are raw eaters as well, but, if I have been slack and forgotten to defrost their minced turkey necks they get taste of the Wild, they chomp it down really fast...it is their take-away

We caught three marine cat-fish and had them for tea the other night...enormous thick fillets, grilled with bread crumbs, the dogs had one each, they thought they were a bit of ok.:laugh:

Mine are raw eaters as well, but, if I have been slack and forgotten to defrost their minced turkey necks they get taste of the Wild, they chomp it down really fast...it is their take-away

We caught three marine cat-fish and had them for tea the other night...enormous thick fillets, grilled with bread crumbs, the dogs had one each, they thought they were a bit of ok.:laugh:

Ha!! Home made fish and chips! I knew it!!! I'm not the only one!!!rofl1.gif.

Come on everyone...' fess up! Who else has been known to feed 'funny stuff' on occasions when the cupboards bare? rofl1.gif

Edited by westiemum

Can't say I've ever fed fish and chips because the cupboard was bare but the dogs do love sharing chippies!

Mmmmm feeling like fish and chips now!

Mine end up with a weird combo of eggs, ricotta cheese and what ever else is around.

I can honestly say that the worst I have ever fed any of my dogs is Advance canned food and that, only one meal.

This is because I think ahead for feeding my dogs the same as I think ahead for feeding us humans.....and also because I particularly do not want to clean up sloppy poos after them and I want them to feel the best they can, not feel sick in the stomach as they must if they have sloppy poos. I am anal about this!!! LOL :rofl:

Trialling all the different premium dogfoods to find what suits them best was interesting, some of it did cause soft poos....some only soft to begin with but with others the soft poos did not improve.

Of course ALL dogfood has fillers in it, even the grainfree ones, it's just not grain but potatoes or similar. If you don't want fillers then you feed BARF or raw or cooked food that you have prepared yourself.