When They Love You So Much It Hurts....

MadWoofter

Fleming & I have a bit of an evening ritual - he lies on the sofa next to me and rolls on his back and waves his legs in the air, and I blow on his face... it's a bonding experience I promise :)

He gurgles, I blow, he gurgles more.... It ends up with us both rolling on the sofa and Flemo rubbing his head on mine and getting lots of pats and cuddles,

Well tonight he decided it took too long for me to cuddle him so he thought he'd head-butt me first. I now have a swollen lip and it's bleeding !!

I know there have been loads of threads over the years about injuries received from our beloved pets, but I want to know - what injuries have you endured because your dog is showing they love you ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quinn likes to check in with me and show me how happy she is when she's playing. A few weeks ago she and Riley were having one of their regular chase each other round the house games, I was sitting on the couch and Quinn came bolting over, leaped onto the couch and headbutted me as she zoomed past - her big fat head connected with my cheekbone and her fur managed to get into my eye, knocking my contact lens and giving me a moment of panic because my vision was all blurry. I ended up with a bruised cheekbone and a blood spot in my eye for a week *(sore) eye roll*

Was playing with my bouncing 2yr old male Std poodle and I lent over & pointed from him to drop....well he thought I was still playing....and BAMB....bounced up & smashed me in the nose. I saw stars....black ones :laugh: Nose bled all over the place, it felt the size of a clowns nose :laugh: I then felt sick & wanted to lie/fall down.

Taught me a lesson, never lean over when directing into a drop....and wow he is a strong silly boy :D

I have a maremma bitch who ran up behind me and hit me in the back of the legs and skittled me like a ten pin and my ankle went pop.My washing went all over the place covered i dirt . One of my sons saw it and standing with his mouth open I was yelling at the dog and said to the kid [ about 16 at the time] come and help me up .'Not me' he said 'that brown snake is still too close to you yet. The dog knocked me down to stop me from walking into the snake and was now between me and the snake telling it to move on.

Was playing with my bouncing 2yr old male Std poodle and I lent over & pointed from him to drop....well he thought I was still playing....and BAMB....bounced up & smashed me in the nose. I saw stars....black ones :laugh: Nose bled all over the place, it felt the size of a clowns nose :laugh: I then felt sick & wanted to lie/fall down.

Taught me a lesson, never lean over when directing into a drop....and wow he is a strong silly boy :D

This happened to me recently only he got me on the cheekbone. Ended up with a bad black eye. :eek: Feel so stupid having to explain to everyone it was the dog!

I hope you apologized to the Maremma Steve, what an awesome dog!

I had a similar thing happen but had no witnesses, so most don't believe me. I have a big Appaloosa who is one of the loves of my life. He is a great horse, but if I'm honest he's pretty lazy, he'd rather be eating than running. Anyway, I had sighted a snake earlier in the day and decided to practically scalp the lawn so I could spot it if it came back. I was riding the mower along the track I'd chased the snake along earlier (it disappeared into the paddock) and 'Brave' came bolting up to the fence, skidded to a halt right beside me and reared up. I was stunned at first and then started telling him what an idiot he was for giving me such a fright. When I turned back to continue along, there was the snake curled up right in front of me! :eek: I would have driven right into it. Lots of carrots that night for the big boy. :thumbsup:

S

As for sustaining injuries rather than averting them, gosh so many, but I will never forget being skittled by one of my foster dogs who was 26kg of solid muscle. He was racing at warp speed with one of my other fosters around the yard and clipped me at about calf level. I got completely airborne and came down on top of him winding both of us. We both needed a chiro treatment afterwards. I don't know how neither of us had any broken bones. Another time I bent down to call and praise my blue dog Mick. He was pretty pleased with my response and came in like a rocket with a leap at the end when he reached me. While in the air, his front foot and toenails went between my bottom lip and my gums (Mick is about 20kg. WOW it hurt, left me bloodied, sore and bruised. People kept asking me did I get into a fight and what did the other person look like! LOL (funny.....now).

S

My BC likes to 'hug' people by wrapping her two front legs around your your leg. After countless times being tripped over from her 'hugs' I've had to teach her she can only do it when I'm sitting or standing still

My pug likes to run at me, full zoomy speed, and throw herself at the back of my legs to hump me when she's manic.

Unfortunatly she's the right height to hit the back of my kneecap and collapse my leg, so if I'm walking and she hits me at the wrong time, I hit the floor with her tangled up in my legs :rofl:

Before we got control over Gus's pulling there were multiple times when we would be on a walk and he would pull at the wrong time and i would fall in a hole or twist my ankle but the worst was when I was all tangled up and he decided to run down the stairs.... I ripped all the underneath part of my toes as my feet got caught onthe steps.

Stella has always been a face bitey girl. Not vicious or anything. It's her way of saying, "hi" I think. So OH & I have had numerous bruised noses & plenty of skin off my face. Lots of facial teeth marks. As she has matured she still does it but not quite so savagely. I also taught her to kiss us gently, no teeth,which has saved our faces LOL.

Edited by BC Crazy

A couple of split/swollen lips from The Douginator launching himself at my face for cuddles (usually when I've been leaning over to do something and my face is within easy reach), currently a set of gouges down the back of one of my thighs from where the puppy thought we were playing a game of slappy paws- he did a sort of.. jumpy-slap, came down awkwardly and even though I was wearing trousers, it still left deep, red marks (which are also a bit bruised, to make it look even better).

And plenty of bruises from over-enthusiastic greetings. Worst of those was from a foster who liked to stand on her hind legs to be cuddled- she jumped up at my back and accidentally scratched it when it was already badly sunburnt. The pain was ungodly.

The worst I can recall was probably from Doug, he zoomied in for a lean and didn't put the brakes on in time, his shoulder hit my thigh at about 20km/h and left a massive bruise that was painful for weeks afterward. If he hadn't of turned a bit at the last moment, I have no doubt he might have broken his neck or severely injured himself (typically though, The Doug walked away uninjured)

I liken greyhound heads to an " anvil ". Made of steel and pointy at one end. Stan ran into one of the supports under my deck doing a zoomie once and shook the foundations so you can imagine the pain of a headbut, which I have had a few. The worst was when I had a tattoo done on my foot earlier this year and Stan leapt of the lounge and his huge kangaroo toes gouged straight through it. I had only had it done that morning, I thought I was going to pass out.