What Is Bitey Face All About?

Little Gifts

My guys are HUGE bitey face fans - especially during all the good TV shows so can never hear whats going on.

My guys also love it if I get on the ground on all fours, play bow at them and then pretend to sneeze - they think its the best game and pounce on me while I cover my face under my arms on the ground as they try to get their little noses in through my arms and lick me to death :rofl:

Gosh that makes me sound c-r-a-z-y :crazy:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My guys are HUGE bitey face fans - especially during all the good TV shows so can never hear whats going on.

My guys also love it if I get on the ground on all fours, play bow at them and then pretend to sneeze - they think its the best game and pounce on me while I cover my face under my arms on the ground as they try to get their little noses in through my arms and lick me to death :rofl:

Yep, but I'm crazy too if that's the case :laugh: :p

My two never do it. Stan likes to lick Maddie's ears occasionally but that's about it.

I've noticed it's usually only the young fosters that do it. Our last girl (Sophie) was a bitey-face monster and if Doug got bored and tried to walk away, Sophie would bitey-leg him and follow him around (she was a few months younger).

The ear licking though.. interesting that you mention that because I've only seen it as a habit in one pair of dogs and that's Kiff and our old girl, Sally. They're not "close" (he'd still growl at her over certain things) but we've had both of them for a few years now and the ear licking is something he only does to her. Doug seems interested in ear licking but then.. Doug is the sort of dog who'll try to squeeze himself into bed with any dog that doesn't growl too much at him, he's a bit of a tart :p

Practice for fighting sounds instinctual and right because I am starting to feel that there is more purpose to some of the things our dogs do than to simply amuse us! Based on how rough and noisy this game can get there is rarely any accidental damage so they show amazing self control.

Sneezes are also common here during bitey face and it nearly always occurs on the lounge furniture when people are trying to sit there too watching tv. Maybe they like us watching their fighting practice? I'd prefer them to be sweaty gladiators if they're going to be that close!

I also have a game with my dogs where I lie on the floor and play dead - they try to lick and nose me back to life!

We always have to turn the TV up for "pug volume" then they eventually quiet down and I get mad because the TV is so loud :laugh:

:thumbsup: Bitey face rocks! :rofl: _ well according to 10.5 year old Kirra and 4 year old Rory, my two BCs. The noises are apparently a very important part of the game - as is the sneeze break - don't know if others do this, but mine have to break off briefly every now and then for a sneexe break - then it's back on.

And yes, it does seem to represent a rest break in a game of zoomies sometimes.

This is exactly as it happens in my house!!! Except my BC's are 6 months and 3 years!! Other than that I would write an identical description!

Exactly the same behaviour at our house too !!! Down to the letter. Except my BC's are 4 years & almost 2 years !!

Edited by BC Crazy

My two never do it. Stan likes to lick Maddie's ears occasionally but that's about it.

I've noticed it's usually only the young fosters that do it. Our last girl (Sophie) was a bitey-face monster and if Doug got bored and tried to walk away, Sophie would bitey-leg him and follow him around (she was a few months younger).

The ear licking though.. interesting that you mention that because I've only seen it as a habit in one pair of dogs and that's Kiff and our old girl, Sally. They're not "close" (he'd still growl at her over certain things) but we've had both of them for a few years now and the ear licking is something he only does to her. Doug seems interested in ear licking but then.. Doug is the sort of dog who'll try to squeeze himself into bed with any dog that doesn't growl too much at him, he's a bit of a tart :p

Gotta love the Dougster :)

Maddie loves the ear licking thing. Stan sticks his nose in her ear to make it stand up (she's got pretty big wing nuts that go every which way) and then away he goes. Mads tilts her head to the side and closes her eyes :)

There is a lot more to play than practice for fighting and hunting. You only need to watch the way they adapt to different playmates to see that. There are clues everywhere. My Erik considers putting teeth on dogs strictly for close friends only. This is especially so for faces. It's not hard to imagine why given there is a lot of important stuff on faces with not a lot of protection. Trust is paramount. My boys bite each other a lot everywhere and seem to know exactly how hard they can bite before they will cause pain. When you think about it, this is a really important thing for them to know. They can use their teeth for gentle, tender allogrooming, or they can use them for rough and tumble play, or they can use them to say "Quit it!" or they can use them to say "I really meant that!" or they can use them to say "This will end now". They can do all of that without causing injury, which is amazing when you think about their capacity to cause injury with their mouths.

My two will often start jaw sparring as a kind of "slap fight" where there isn't enough room to run out the tension. One will be trying to exclude the other from something and they will bite at each other's face and it turns into play as a way for them to sort out their differences and release frustration safely without damaging their relationship. Play can be used to defuse tense situations.

ETA the sneezing is an arousal-reducing thing, usually, or a transition behaviour if they are winding down play to do something else. Play usually follows a natural wave as arousal fluctuates. They will bring themselves down periodically. Watch what happens if they don't. The play gets more intense, dogs get more aroused, and it's more likely to turn serious.

Edited by corvus

In Bitey Face, they're practicing for fighting IMO but "pulling their punches". My dogs often extend the game to incude play biting at legs - a crippling move in a fight.

Absolutley, they test their grip, strenght and developing the skills, moves and stamina that would be required in a fight. Yes it's great fun but they don't restrict the game to just the face.

There are strategic points involved, including grips on the ears, the throat and in particular practicing taking out a leg.

Watching the Staffords is very intereting and the pups test and push the adults from day one.

Gotta love the Dougster :)

Maddie loves the ear licking thing. Stan sticks his nose in her ear to make it stand up (she's got pretty big wing nuts that go every which way) and then away he goes. Mads tilts her head to the side and closes her eyes :)

That's what Mo does. He will walk over to Lili and turn his head so his ear is in her face, she then cleans both ears and eyes while he lies there with his eyes closed :laugh:

Stafford Bitey face is pretty full on iv had visitors actually freak out thinking they were fighting when they were playing the sounds can be terrifying and (for want of a better word) wild. I find my 2 facinating to watch it is all pray type behaviour so not just getting the face but all points that can be used in attack situations.

Most occasions of bitey face happen here when its to wet to play outside for extended periods of time or if they have been at a show / trial for the day and crated for a longer then normal period, so for my guys its a way to let off steem with out being too full on inside the house :D

Mine don't do a lot of bitey face. Fergus likes a good old-fashioned game of chasey and Lucy only rarely breaks out into full-on play mode.

Fergus does wrestle a lot with me though and mouths my hands (only when I've started the game). He has fantastic inhibition and even play bows when we start! I get on the floor with my face right in his but he never tries bitey face with me.

I've noticed the bull breeds seem to do bitey face a lot.