Enough Gumtree Ads Perhaps?

Salukifan

Wasn't there a change to the forum rules a couple of years ago (correct me if I'm wrong, had very little sleep!) to stop the constant 'please vote for my dog/kid/brothers best friends uncle' threads because they had gotten completely out of hand? To me, this issue is kind of the same deal. I hang out in OT now more and more, I do find there seems to be less engaging threads in general than there used to be.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We most certainly do not need another forum for Gumtree ads.

Even if there was one, and I cant see that happening, members who have been here for any length of time probably wouldnt even bother looking at it. They're quite capable of searching ads themselves if they want to.

Exactly, it serves no useful purpose. As I mentioned upthread, we monitor gumtree by having an email alert in place for NSW for the two breeds we rescue. Sometimes you don't intervene, sometimes it looks like a mess in the making and you do. DOL doesn't have to be involved.

As to why Gumtree, I suppose we monitor there because it is the home of choice for many fringe sales activities and that is almost always where people flogging off/giving away their 9 to 18 month old difficult adolescents show up. But I think what HW is objecting to is not people monitoring the environment to pull pure bred breeding dogs from the BYB pool, but people deliberately driving past the train wreck, and then wanting to drive the rest of us for a look as well without any intention of doing anything practical to improve anything. The world is full of idiots, I'd rather discuss the smart, useful and interesting aspects of dogs.

We most certainly do not need another forum for Gumtree ads.

Even if there was one, and I cant see that happening, members who have been here for any length of time probably wouldnt even bother looking at it. They're quite capable of searching ads themselves if they want to.

Exactly, it serves no useful purpose. As I mentioned upthread, we monitor gumtree by having an email alert in place for NSW for the two breeds we rescue. Sometimes you don't intervene, sometimes it looks like a mess in the making and you do. DOL doesn't have to be involved.

As to why Gumtree, I suppose we monitor there because it is the home of choice for many fringe sales activities and that is almost always where people flogging off/giving away their 9 to 18 month old difficult adolescents show up. But I think what HW is objecting to is not people monitoring the environment to pull pure bred breeding dogs from the BYB pool, but people deliberately driving past the train wreck, and then wanting to drive the rest of us for a look as well without any intention of doing anything practical to improve anything. The world is full of idiots, I'd rather discuss the smart, useful and interesting aspects of dogs.

:thumbsup: Agree totally. There is no value in voyerism. (Though unfortunately some people seem to get a kick out if it).If you are not the emergency services, or the person calling them DIRECTLY when needed to get help, then you are the person slowing the traffic to look or calling the radio station to say how horrible it is. Serves no purpose.

Edited by espinay2

But I think what HW is objecting to is not people monitoring the environment to pull pure bred breeding dogs from the BYB pool, but people deliberately driving past the train wreck, and then wanting to drive the rest of us for a look as well without any intention of doing anything practical to improve anything.

:thumbsup: Well said, Mags. Same with the - oh noesss a pet shop is selling puppies.

I think what has to be remembered here is there are some new forumites..discovering new issues and learning new things.

Just because some are "over" some issue doesn't make it a moot point for all.

But how does discussion ONLY between experienced pure bred people promote and increase knowledge about pure bred dogs? Aren't we (not that I'm including myself as experienced but YKWIM) better off encouraging new people, however annoying, to come and learn?

On other note, some new people do come in all guns blazing and either don't read the rules or any other threads at all before posting - which is a bit silly really - or they are intentionally stirring up trouble, troll anyone? I know exactly what you mean about newbies who join up, post 10,000 threads about their BYB/pet shop puppy then argue till they're blue in the face why they are right. Those people clearly don't want to learn from being here and are just annoying... Although I do find the train crash threads fun to watch *gets popcorn* :o

It never was that. But it was new and experienced dog folk talking about purebred dogs and all the issues that sprang from that... breeding, choosing, buying, feeding, training, care, grooming,history.. lots of stuff. Rescue was here then too.

i came here as the newish owner of two purebred dogs. Since then I've titled dogs in conformation, obedience, and agility, trained as an instructor, registered a Breeders prefix and become involved in my local Breed club, and my Canine Control. I've also added a second breed to my home. A lot of that has been with the advice and encouragement of more experienced members here.

I've evolved as a dog owner, furthering my knowledge of a lot of aspects of dogs. You don't get to do that by reading forums mainly populated with vents, whinges and finger pointing at poor dog related practices.

Yes, it certainly used to be a LOT easier to find the USEFUL threads here! Discussion was purposeful and positive. I too know a lot of great and experienced folks that have left because the majority of the posts are just whinges, people with noses out of joint and people getting off on how horrible some things are. It would be nice if we could turn it back into something a little more proactive and purposeful.

Edited by espinay2

I think the initial gripe here was the fact that a good number of the Gumtree and pet shop threads appear to be more acts of hand wringing and general decrying of how unprincipled the advertiser is for offering their dog up for sale there, than actual calls to help the dog in question.

Those type of threads really don't bring much to the table in the general course of things... and tend to make the people who participate in them look like they are trying to score some sort of brownie points for showing how outraged they are.

Without actual figures, I'm going to make an assumption that not many of the animals referred to in those threads get safely rehomed via this forum or it's members.

Like I said before - if one isn't actually going to get physically involved in "saving" the animal in question, then please slow down on the number of these threads you post.

If you see something illegal posted on Gumtree, please contact the relevant authority about the ad - ie. unchipped pups for sale, get hold of the council or DLG via email or phone to report it...

T.

:thumbsup:

I'm a long term member who hardly ever posts about dogs, does that mean I don't contribute or don't learn anything here?

WoofnHoof, you contribute heaps and I'm sure you find something useful in these threads occassionally! :laugh:

I think what has to be remembered here is there are some new forumites..discovering new issues and learning new things.

What I cannot gather, other than some kind of call for group outrage, is the point of some of these threads AT ALL. Hence my (I thought polite but apparently uncaring and unwelcoming) suggestion that perhaps we've had enough of these theads IF they serve no purpose other than to call for gasps of outrage from members.

It's like all the gasping in horror and outpourings of outrage that goes on with FB folk who insist on sharing shocking photos of abused animals. Yes, we all know it happens but you "sharing" a photo doesn't make you a warrior for animal welfare. What it does is distress people.

I am of the opinion that it is (supposedly) a free world..where we can all exercise our own right to do and not do...that also applies to this forum. If an item doesn't appeal, or indeed, offends, then don't read it, but at the same time, don't dictate what others can comment on...unless it falls outside the forum rules, nobody has a right too. It's like people who access Facebook, read something unpleasant and then get upset about it...simple answer...don't go on facebook. So many people nowadays want to set the boundaries for others to abide by...as I get older I get more intolerant of people dictating...no one has the right...my penny's worth.

What I cannot gather, other than some kind of call for group outrage, is the point of some of these threads AT ALL. Hence my (I thought polite but apparently uncaring and unwelcoming) suggestion that perhaps we've had enough of these theads IF they serve no purpose other than to call for gasps of outrage from members.

It's like all the gasping in horror and outpourings of outrage that goes on with FB folk who insist on sharing shocking photos of abused animals. Yes, we all know it happens but you "sharing" a photo doesn't make you a warrior for animal welfare. What it does is distress people.

This I will actually agree with.

I avoid Gumtree because the piles of BYB litters are just depressing- I know this, everyone else knows this- we don't need to be told something is depressing when it's been said and done a thousand times before.

Posting ads for the purpose of alerting rescues is fine by me (as I said earlier) and can help dogs. Posting ads just so people can gawk and indulge their inner keyboard warrior is even more depressing to me than the ads, themselves.

Guest RosieFT

Completely agree.

Just because you have been here for years and have seen the same topics repeated and form the view that they are are useless rants about dog parks etc. , you have to bear in mind that many people experience this for the first time and are genuinely seeking clarification and help. I certainly have had my eyes opened about dog parks and many other dog related issues by posting about my experiences and reading the replies given.

Where else would you come and vent/relate about dog problems?

I think some of you are being a bit precious, in my personal opinion. I was a member of a horse forum for many, many years and did get a bit bored with the same posts year after year, but again, it was all new and relevant to those posting and they were genuinely asking for advice.

I think some of you are being a bit precious, in my personal opinion. I was a member of a horse forum for many, many years and did get a bit bored with the same posts year after year, but again, it was all new and relevant to those posting and they were genuinely asking for advice.

Precious eh?

Perhaps you'd like to point out the bit where I've whined about repeated posts from newbs asking for advice or ones about dog parks, puppy problems etc??

Let me help you out. I haven't. I'd never complain about a post seeking advice. Bloody tempting at times to point out that the forum has a search function but I haven't done that either.

HW, I suspect some people haven't actually read (or perhaps haven't understood) your original post.

To accuse those becoming personal in their responses of comprehension problems would be unkind. But apparently it's OK to call longer term DOLers names.

Same old, same old. :shrug: