Pug Puppy Help!

Haley1234

I am about to become proud parent to a beautiful black pug puppy on January 12th & I'm a bit unsure what to feed her as there is a lot of conflicting advice on the Internet.

I was thinking of using Eukanuba as I heard that it was the best...

Any helpful advice would be fantastic!

What is she currently being fed? if it's a good brand I wouldn't change it personally. Everyone has different opinions about what to feed, some will say raw, other will suggest science diet or royal canin. I use supercoat for puppies and raw. But I wouldn't change the diet straight away, if it's not ideal slowly introduce your choice of food. Eukanuba isn't bad but I think it's a bit overpriced. Science diet puppy is good.

again the breeder should provide all that information. If it's not ideal i'd be researching foods myself, i'm not into the raw thing, all my kids get Advance feeds and it works really well for them, they like it and are happy to eat it, they are a great weight, have beautiful coats, have lots of energy, stools that aren't huge and sloppy and ultimately they do really well on it. It was also important to us that they had a large breed formula for our pups as that is important for us as is small breed formula for some breeds, plus we needed an active formula for our kids when they were older because 'normal' adult food is not enough to keep up with their level of activity. Basically we looked around at lots of feeds, looked for something from a reputable company, something that had an actual meat as the first listed ingredient as opposed to 'meals' or grains as lots of 'popular' feeds are (including some premium ones!). I personally don't like 'wet' feeds so I knew that wasn't for us either. Something that I could get on a regular basis so I didn't have to worry about lack of supply either.

I guess you need to decide what important for you, your puppy's nutritional requirements and what works best for you. Lots of people will tell you, this brand is best, you have to feed this etc etc. BUT all dogs are different even within the breed and what works for my dogs is something that another breeder's dogs turn their nose up at. The important thing is that your pup is healthy, has what it needs to grow and thrive and that you're happy with it too.

again the breeder should provide all that information. If it's not ideal i'd be researching foods myself, i'm not into the raw thing, all my kids get Advance feeds and it works really well for them, they like it and are happy to eat it, they are a great weight, have beautiful coats, have lots of energy, stools that aren't huge and sloppy and ultimately they do really well on it. It was also important to us that they had a large breed formula for our pups as that is important for us as is small breed formula for some breeds, plus we needed an active formula for our kids when they were older because 'normal' adult food is not enough to keep up with their level of activity. Basically we looked around at lots of feeds, looked for something from a reputable company, something that had an actual meat as the first listed ingredient as opposed to 'meals' or grains as lots of 'popular' feeds are (including some premium ones!). I personally don't like 'wet' feeds so I knew that wasn't for us either. Something that I could get on a regular basis so I didn't have to worry about lack of supply either.

I guess you need to decide what important for you, your puppy's nutritional requirements and what works best for you. Lots of people will tell you, this brand is best, you have to feed this etc etc. BUT all dogs are different even within the breed and what works for my dogs is something that another breeder's dogs turn their nose up at. The important thing is that your pup is healthy, has what it needs to grow and thrive and that you're happy with it too.

This all good.

When I had three dogs, I had three types of dry food, one type of wet (Big Dog BARF) and lots of other 'raw' type stuff such as eggs, fish, vegies and meaty bones. Poo patrol becomes a BIG part of life when testing different foods :)

The best advice will come from her breeder :)

Not necessarily.

I couldnt wait to change my all my pups diets from what they're breeders were feeding them.

Do your own research and slowly switch the diet over.

If I fed my dogs what they're breeders fed, they'd still be on supercoat, coles brand dry and weetbix. Yuk!

My Pug did well on Holistic Select Fish and lately BARF. Both far superior diets than what the breeder feeds.

dogmad, My dogs are more than happy eating their dry food everyday. They get bones every now and then but are otherwise perfectly happy and very healthy dogs who sneak the odd bit of cucumber, apple etc where they can. In fact they will even train for their dinner. It's a very personal and individual thing which is what a lot of the above poster's have said. And when researching diets for dogs I found that a lot of the reputable sources say that when you take on the role of providing meat, veges etc as a diet for your dog that it is very important to ensure that you do lots of research to ensure that you are providing all of the nutrients, vitamins and minerals etc. that your dog actually needs as opposed to what you think they might 'like'. I'm not saying it's bad and not to even consider it etc. but you think about all the research that goes into producing good quality dog food by these companies and if you want to develop your own diet I think it's important that you are prepared to put in the same amount of research etc. to ensure you are providing a complete and total diet for your dog.

There are lots of people who are prepared to do the required research but it's a big ask and I think when you recommend things like this that it's important to mention it.

Come on everybody lets see what the breeders diet is before it's condemed.

It may be an excellent diet.

If the new owner is still not happy please come back and ask some questions, giving us details of the breeders diet and if it needs adjusting we may be able to help.

Also if it is of any help when you pick your pup up you "usually" receive

A diet sheet

A vaccination record

A microchip record

A registration certificate from your states controlling body with the dog in your name or the registration certificate with signed transfer (on the back)

In some states registration may be different and the papers may have to be forwarded at a later date.

Any other information the breeders deems necessary.

Edited by oakway

yes, speak with your breeder, and ask what they recommend . Some breeders will send home a sample too :)

It may be better for your pup to keep to the breeder diet for a week or so while you gradually introduce the new food you want to use . This way avoids tummy upsets.

The best advice will come from her breeder :)

Not necessarily.

I couldnt wait to change my all my pups diets from what they're breeders were feeding them.

Do your own research and slowly switch the diet over.

If I fed my dogs what they're breeders fed, they'd still be on supercoat, coles brand dry and weetbix. Yuk!

My Pug did well on Holistic Select Fish and lately BARF. Both far superior diets than what the breeder feeds.

Makes me recall, my first dog from a breeder was being fed weetbix!!!

I don't agree with feeding a dog dry food only, would you like to live your whole life on dried biscuits? I doubt it.

When you've got past the puppy food, ensure your dog has plenty of good quality variety - meat, fish, veggies (check they are not toxic ie onions) and so on.

Not a dog, LOL, but try to give Gussy Cat anything but her dry - won't get eaten.

As a pug breeder I would advise you to ask the Breeder for his/her Diet Sheet and then go from there.

As a breeder I get very annoyed when buyers for whatever reason, change the pups diet. i have seen first hand the negative impact that not feeding the right diet can have on pugs. Some people seem to believe that because they are little dogs they don't need as much care with their diet. It is also frustrating to see them at 5/6 months looking all skinny and underweight because the vet said they were too big.