What Do You Feed And Why

Greylvr

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RAW by way of Barf patties, chicken carcasses whatever vegies are on offer as leftovers after dinner and now and then a lamb shank.

Why = she does best on it. her coat is so much nicer on a raw diet than a dry and the mystery contact allergy has lessened greatly since the total shift over.

Mine eat what ever I give them, could be dry food, could be raw. I don't really have a set diet plan for them, and they don't care as long as they get fed :laugh:.

Mine eat what ever I give them, could be dry food, could be raw. I don't really have a set diet plan for them, and they don't care as long as they get fed :laugh:.

:thumbsup: Sounds nice and easy. I always find it interesting how different dogs can do well on different things. When I was showing dogs I fed Eukanuba premium performance they all did very well on it except my working BC (we ran a cattle farm and worked all day on horse back awesome job) he did horrible on it coat looked dull etc. He did best on the crappiest food in the world of course the breeder we bought him from fed bread and milk in the AM and a crappy dry food in PM to all her dogs and they looked awesome. If I ever tried that with the other dogs they would look so bad.

Ella's diet has changed over her life depending on the needs of her companion dogs. She could live on anything, cast iron stomach.

When we adopted Rolf he was underweight and we were recommended a whole bunch of stuff to bulk him up - Supercoat biscuits with chicken or beef mince, lamb flaps, sardines, tuna in oil, lactose free milk, yoghurt, cheese etc etc.

Turns out he is incredibly fussy and wouldn't touch lamb flaps if his life depended on it. If I tried to flavour his dinner with any of the suggested add-ons, he'd sniff it suspiciously and walk off. The one time I tried him with sardines I regretted it because the cleanup was almost vomit inducing. The best I could do and actually get him to eat it was chicken necks for brekkie, and for dinner Supercoat biscuits mixed in with chicken mince (not that NASTY beef stuff, and don't you go trying to mix it in because I'll know!!) He'd still regularly skip meals though.

Heard talk that Black Hawk was very appealing to fussy eaters and gradually switched him over to the lamb and rice (still with chicken mince). He seemed a little keener. Then my supplier got the chicken and rice in, and I heard the kibble was larger so we tried that. He actually gets excited at dinner time now instead of looking like it's some torture I'm forcing him to endure. So Black Hawk chicken and rice (with chicken mince) it is! They still have their chicken necks for brekkie and Ella doesn't mind a bit. :)

Cougar has a chicken carcass for breakie, forr dinner she gets VIP Chunkers. She always has a bowl of dried food on hand, in case she gets the munchies between meals.

Edited by mantis

My adults are on Nutro, and the pups on Royal Canin... although they have done just as well in the past on Bonnie.

Why? It's what I choose to feed them at this point in time.

They love it, I'm happy with their condition, and my vet is miffed at me because they don't see us often enough... *grin*

T.

Guest crickets

raw chicken bones are the staple & add one of each of the following to each bone meal in rotation- oily fish, cottage cheese, offal, heart meat, egg, roo meat, yoghurt and maybe once a week some sort of cooked loaf with the bone meal.

Dry food is really not on the menu here. I bought a 3kg bag of Black Hawk in the middle of the year and most of it's gone to the magpies!

I don't do treats.

Why, because I like my dogs to eat as close as possible to their biologically correct diet and they thrive on it....and the 'end results' are great too!

Edited by crickets

Grumpy gets canned tuna or sardines in springwater and Holistic Select sardine and anchovy. He's allowed to have a small bit of fat free chicken roll to take his tablets. Mini is Princess Fussy and has decided months after loving her sardines, she doesn't want them anymore.

Same. Our get some type of raw meaty bone every day, raw meat - muscle/organ, fish, eggs and yoghurt occasionally and a bit of dry occasionally too. Pretty rare these days we feed dry though, but it's good to have on hand.

Why: I think a dry food only diet is boring for them and I like to give them human grade raw as I know what's in it and they love it. Plus the bones are good for their teeth.

1354803265[/url]' post='6044389']

RAW by way of Barf patties, chicken carcasses whatever vegies are on offer as leftovers after dinner and now and then a lamb shank.

Why = she does best on it. her coat is so much nicer on a raw diet than a dry and the mystery contact allergy has lessened greatly since the total shift over.

I've switched my girl over to RAW 4 weeks ago and I'm seeing a huge improvement too, her skin allergies are lessening, her coat whre shes damaged it from itching and biting is coming back and she has so much more energy.

I do homemade RAW she gets 150g patty morning and night ( may have to increase to 200g next time I make them), she gets flax seed oil, vitamins E and zinc plus pro biotic. Looking at VANS skin and coat supplement once my current stock runs out. She can also now tolerate lamb which she couldn't when on kibble, so she gets lamb flaps and chicken frames as a treat if she's done a lot that day.

She was on pro plan and tried black hawk which is where her problems started.

I cook for my dogs, a mixture of meats and veggies, as well as bones, usually lamb or chicken. They also steal fruit and veggies from the garden and since I have got chooks they eat chook poo, and chook food, and the occasional egg if they find it before I do.

I feed kibble for breakfast and lunch. For dinner they get wet food.

Amber is on Hills Prescription diet as she has a liver condition, which is also why the 3 meals a day.

Poppy has various kibbles and really does ok on most of them, at night she gets a variety of stuff from chicken necks to Natures Gift.

I used to feed BARF (not the patties, made it up myself) and then moved to 50% kibble 50% raw. Would still feed like that except for Amber's condition. Why? I like to hedge my bets.

Artemis, Chicken, eggs & dairy (yoghurt, cottage cheese)

Why, because its low in purines and both our dogs are doing very well on them.

I found the ingredients in Artiemis to be awesome as well packed full of good quality stuff.

Ow might I add since we have had him on this diet there have been NO smelly farts, everthing else used to make him so gassy.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Chicken carcass or turkey neck for breaky.

Roo or beef for dinner.

He always has about half a cup of eukanuba or nutro kibble in a bowl but that usually gets put into a kong with some cottage cheese or peanut butter as a treat a couple of nights a week. He also eats fruit, carrots, tomatoes, pumpkin and other veg or salad stuff..

On hot days, he can have a chook stock frozen iceblock with sardines or chicken necks frozen into it. He gets an egg a week and a can or two of sardines in oil as well..

Training we seem to use dried liver and or cheese - seems to be the only thing that he is interested in.

I used to use barf patties of a night but he just stopped eating them. I am not sure why but the smell seemed to change and he won't touch them anymore.

Why? Because that is what seems to work for him..

He seems to have a sensitive tummy and to much fatty meat makes him sick. So we stick to lower fat stuff and have removed all big bones with marrow in them now as the last time he had one, he was sick again..

1354803265[/url]' post='6044389']

I've switched my girl over to RAW 4 weeks ago and I'm seeing a huge improvement too, her skin allergies are lessening, her coat whre shes damaged it from itching and biting is coming back and she has so much more energy.

I do homemade RAW she gets 150g patty morning and night ( may have to increase to 200g next time I make them), she gets flax seed oil, vitamins E and zinc plus pro biotic. Looking at VANS skin and coat supplement once my current stock runs out. She can also now tolerate lamb which she couldn't when on kibble, so she gets lamb flaps and chicken frames as a treat if she's done a lot that day.

She was on pro plan and tried black hawk which is where her problems started.

Haven't tried the VANS skin and coat but was thinking of giving it a go.

Weird thing is I was feeding her identical food as her breeder was (she's only been with us since july 27th) so maybe it's the heat/humidity up here that makes it worse for her so an allergy she didn't have previously, comes out and plays havoc with her poor belly and sides.

I feed all dogs only once per day.

Whippets: Younger dogs are on Royal Canin Medium Junior. Herbie is on Hills K/D as he has early stage renal issues.

Poodles: Royal Canin Mini Senior (8 +)

Apart from Herbie, the dogs' kibble gets spiced up with various kind of mince or tinned fish.

All dogs get meals of chicken RMBs and recreational beef bones. The odd meal of 4 Legs gets into the mix. I do add a bit of organic coconut oil to the Whippet's diet. The poodles won't touch it.

Why do I feed this? The dogs like their food (RC is the only brand Howie will always eat), do well on it and I can get RC at a good price though their breeder's club. Most of the sighthound folk I know well swear by RC. Herbie needs a special diet and sadly the RC kidney kibble isn't available in Oz. :cry: I also think they're doing really well on their diet.

Edited by Haredown Whippets