Worming

BT-Argo

Hi I have been reading on some sites that many people choose not to worm their dogs. I was of the understanding that dogs should always be wormed for both heartworm and an all wormer.

Can I ask others if they choose not to worm their dogs and what is the result of this if so?

Does it have to be done religiously as I have also read people choose to do it once or twice a year only as well.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine get heartworm every 4 weeks in summer an 6 weeks in winter. Bitches with puppies & puppies under 8 weeks old get wormed every 2 weeks, pups 8-16 weeks get wormed 3 times in this period. Adults aren't generally wormed - once or twice a year I do a scoot around and pick some samples for a fecal count and if necessary all will be wormed, but generally it's not needed.

If your dog has access to wild animal poo or has close and continuous contact with children I think this regime would have to be less casual but intestinal worming every month is overkill to me in almost all circumstances.

Edited by Sandra777

I don't believe in pumping chemicals into my dogs for the sake of it.

We are not in a heartworm area, we live in cool climate country so it's not necessary to treat.

I worm pregnant bitches and baby puppies. I might worm the older dogs once or twice a year. I've never had an older dog with a worm burden. If I am going to worm them, it's usually at the time when I introduce a new dog or puppy

Guest crickets

I'm a bad owner...

I don't give my dogs heartworm prevention, and I only worm if/when I see the obvious signs of them having worms.

I also will only treat for fleas if I see one on any of the dogs. I don't live in a tick area.

T.

I must be a bad owner too!

I don't do heartworm prevention and do intestinal all wormer annually.

No flea treatment unless there is an issue (which is pretty much never) and no ticks here.

Also as far as general vaccination goes I only do puppy shots plus first annual booster and do not vaccinate again for life. I'm actually starting to wonder if that first annual booster is even necessary.

I too believe we pump way too much crapola into our pups

I raw feed too.

Ours get heartworm each month and the product we use also does intestinal worms. I have considered changing to a heartworm tablet and worming less frequently, still researching/deciding.

This is what I do. I once asked the vet about getting the same amount of ingredient for intestinal worms that they used to get when I wormed them every 3 months. She said that the wormer kills any worms present & is not a preventative. Still not convinced but because one of my dogs is a Border Collie & can't have certain heartworm preventives which is why I switched to the monthly chew.

I also feed a raw diet & on some Yahoo chat groups they don't worm or heartworm at all. I'm not prepared to take the chance.

Edited by luvsdogs

We no longer heartworm .We stopped when the companies started to play around to much with products .

All our dogs are wormed ,puppies follow our puppy sheet routine & the adults are done but we don't do it as often as some but certainly twice a year or if travelling & feel its in the best interests.

Temps play a part & its more the constant day/night temp over a set period

Ours get heartworm each month and the product we use also does intestinal worms. I have considered changing to a heartworm tablet and worming less frequently, still researching/deciding.

This is what I do. I once asked the vet about getting the same amount of ingredient for intestinal worms that they used to get when I wormed them every 3 months. She said that the wormer kills any worms present & is not a preventative. Still not convinced but because one of my dogs is a Border Collie & can't have certain heartworm preventives which is why I switched to the monthly chew.

I also feed a raw diet & on some Yahoo chat groups they don't worm or heartworm at all. I'm not prepared to take the chance.

Yes, mines an Aussie and I can't give ivermectin so it limits the medications we can use, that's why we use the sentinel which does both.

Guest Labradork

With the approval of my vets, I don't treat for Heartworm because I live in a low risk area.

And, as of next year, I will be faecal testing instead of using an all-wormer.

Edited by Labradork

For my lab, all wormer from the vet every 3 months, never heartworm as he is in a cold climate (advised from vets), never treated for fleas as we have never had a problem and don't live in a tick area so no need for that either.

Will probably need to do Heartworm when I get a new pup as I am in a warmer area now but I'll check with the vet first.

I use interceptor. Won't do the heartworm injection as I don't like a year's worth in one dose. Have to do heart worm though as mozzies (and sandflies) are terrible here. Very, very humid, perfect for paralysis ticks as well (so Advantix is a must too). I know Cleo gets bitten by mozzies too, poor thing has bites all over her head :(

Not sure how true this is but I just found this on the internet " Heartworm larvae cannot develop to the stage needed to infect dogs until temperatures have been over 57 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees Centigrade), day and night, for at least one to two weeks."

Guest donatella

We're in QLD were all the nasties are so need to be vigilant on all accounts.

Could probably tailor back on the intestinal worming but am just used to using an all wormer ever 4-6 weeks.