Hungry Dog Silliness

Little Gifts

not at some ridiculous hour that Ive seen friends feed theirs

What do you call 'ridiculous hours?'

:o some nights the house dogs get fed at 8;30 ..sometimes 2 in the morning . ..they get fed whenever we go to bed ..whether that's early or late.

The working dogs get fed anytime from 5 pm to midnight ..depending on what we're doing ..and sometimes they are fed early in the morning instead :)

Perse with all due respect(as always) who walks out at two in the morning and goes...dinner everyone? It takes just a couple of minutes to feed the dogs. Mine eat hours before I do. I understand working dogs are fed late but are they still working at 2am?

:) We do keep odd hours here :o

the workers get fed VERY late some nights if it's hot , and we're still up . They often won't eat when it's really hot anyway ..so I like to wait until the temp drops .....then it's a feed & fresh water . If it is still way too warm, then I feed at 6 or so in the morning . They enjoy it much more then. .:)

House dogs ..as I said when we go to bed ..they go to bed , and that's when they get their dinner .

Yes ok thanks for explaining. As I said not sure on what the deal is with working dogs as I have no experience. Thank dog there are no greyhounds living at your place...........no change that, thank dog MY greyhounds are not living at your house :laugh:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scout gets fed twice a day...no real set time [just a vague sometime between 7-9am and then 6-8pm]. Usually he'll just push his bowl around in the kitchen, that gets ignored. Sometimes if he's feeling rather hungry a kitchen chair will end up in the lounge room [he pushes it out there knowing it'll get my attention] :laugh: . Or he'll just stand at the pantry door staring forlornly at it, hoping it'll miraculously provide food. Other times he'll stand in the kitchen and just bark [that gets ignored].

If all the above fails and he's famished, then he'll come and put his front paws on my legs and stare at me intently.

But in most cases, he just gives up and goes and lays down on his bed :D he gets fed when I feed him lol

I am really spoiled, mine would probably be starving before they complained about no food. I do like to keep dinner time a bit random because I don't like anticipatory behaviours. They are still genetically wolves and they didn't have a regular feeding time so I can't see what is wrong with variable feed times as long as there are no illnesses. Does it really matter if they get fed at 3am?

If dinner is 3am, what time is brekky?

Not every dog is fed twice a day. :shrug: None of mine are once they are adults.

I once got home, walked the dogs and got tied up in a busy night. Went to bed at 1100 and wondered why a couple of dogs tummies were rumbling. Then it hit me - I'd forgotten to feed them. embarrass.gif

No way would Ted let me get away with that now. He barks if he thinks its dinner time.

Ah of course. I'm so used to pugs who would actually chew their own leg off if they only got fed once a day :rofl:

To all the heros who say they don't tolerate that behaviour congratulations. However when you feed dogs at a certain time everyday they tend to pick up on this time and get excited, energetic and alert. It has nothing to do with tolerating, its about a routine they have adapted too, a bit like when you leave and come home from work, I bet your pets can pick this time almost to the clock as well.

Hit a nerve or something?? Didn't realize you had to resort to name calling.

You missed the point - as I don't tolerate such demanding behaviors, I don't feed at the same time every day - some days I don't even feed dinner at all. And no - mine don't time my going and coming from work - I mix up my morning routine and generally come home at different times every night. Routine is not always a good thing as it can lead to anxiety behaviors if that routine is not adhered too.

While I'd mostly agree with you, in some cases, routine can be very important.

Greyhounds generally live by a routine- even down to when they can toilet. They find comfort in routine and when being moved from trainer to rescue to foster carer to new home, routine can be the one consistant in their lives which actually makes them less stressed and helps them to cope with other disruptions.

I feed all of my dogs on a schedule and I've yet to see any anxiety result from it. A worst, they get whiney (because they're hungry) if dinner is too much later than usual.

not at some ridiculous hour that Ive seen friends feed theirs

What do you call 'ridiculous hours?'

:o some nights the house dogs get fed at 8;30 ..sometimes 2 in the morning . ..they get fed whenever we go to bed ..whether that's early or late.

The working dogs get fed anytime from 5 pm to midnight ..depending on what we're doing ..and sometimes they are fed early in the morning instead :)

Perse with all due respect(as always) who walks out at two in the morning and goes...dinner everyone? It takes just a couple of minutes to feed the dogs. Mine eat hours before I do. I understand working dogs are fed late but are they still working at 2am?

:) We do keep odd hours here :o

the workers get fed VERY late some nights if it's hot , and we're still up . They often won't eat when it's really hot anyway ..so I like to wait until the temp drops .....then it's a feed & fresh water . If it is still way too warm, then I feed at 6 or so in the morning . They enjoy it much more then. .:)

House dogs ..as I said when we go to bed ..they go to bed , and that's when they get their dinner .

Yes ok thanks for explaining. As I said not sure on what the deal is with working dogs as I have no experience. Thank dog there are no greyhounds living at your place...........no change that, thank dog MY greyhounds are not living at your house :laugh:

I'm a bit the same as Pers, I have to admit.

The dogs don't get fed until very late at night for a few reasons. One is the ability to provide routine- I know I'm always going to be home at midnight so there's no worry about breaking routine. Another is hygiene- I rabidly hate flies and late at night, no flies around to bother the dogs while they're eating. Also much cooler and the dogs feel more inclined to actually get out of bed. Late feeding also seems to keep them very quiet during the night. As for how long it takes.. feeding mine can take up to two hours so it needs to be at a time of day when I can supervise them without having anything else to worry about. I feed raw so I supervise meals and there are also the foster dogs so not everyone can eat in the same area. Both are factors others here also probably have to deal with so I wouldn't assume dinner is a quick affair for everyone.

I do remember though when I used to feed kibble and only had one dog.. the good old days when it was just shovel some kibble into his bowl and walk away (admittedly a lot more time was spent poop scooping and struggling to breathe through hellish dog farts though).

I work shift work, so it's easier for me to not have a set routine for them. As a consequence, one night I stayed at the BF's place but went straight from work so asked my sister to feed the dogs. The next day they didn't get fed til about 7pm, and that was the point when my sister told me she'd forgotten to feed them! I felt awful, but was very proud of them because even though they were hungry, they didn't destroy anything, or even make pains in the bums with themselves. Needless to say, these days I have to be absolutely desperate to ask my sister to feed them, if I can swing it at all, I just do it myself, at least I know it gets done.

having a routine made our other dogs a lot more settled and of course they don't have tummy troubles so are more flexible about feeding times. it has also been helpful for the fosters to have a routine around everything. but with our adult dogs brekkie is a very small token thing - a dob of yoghurt with kibble sprinkles really!

as it is now 6.24pm i have lots of whining going on behind me. yes i'm coming now tempeh!

My dog used to get so hungry like your dog. We'd feed her during breakfast, but since there are carpenters working in the backyard, she'd cry out to them and ask for food when she had just eaten. We didn't really know what to do because she just wouldn't shut up until such time that we told the carpenters to eat around back and just ignore her screams and cries. It eventually worked, but she still would bark a lot. That's another problem in another forum though.

My dog comes and looks at me intently, often placing his paw on my leg or foot, then if clearly I'm just not getting it, he runs to the pantry, then back to me, then back to the pantry, then back to me, then continues staring and 'targeting' different areas of my body with his foot as if I have some magic button that needs to be discovered. If I appear to be coming to the party he will stare at me and bark to reinforce my behaviour. My dog is a great trainer.

My dog comes and looks at me intently, often placing his paw on my leg or foot, then if clearly I'm just not getting it, he runs to the pantry, then back to me, then back to the pantry, then back to me, then continues staring and 'targeting' different areas of my body with his foot as if I have some magic button that needs to be discovered. If I appear to be coming to the party he will stare at me and bark to reinforce my behaviour. My dog is a great trainer.

Next he'll be out getting a clicker to train you :rofl:

I feed twice a day since getting Earl - breakfast is anywhere from 5 - 7 and if it is holidays or weekends then we might all go back to bed afterwards. Dinner can be from 5 to 8 depending on schedule - ours don't seem too phased - the kelpie is pretty hyper 24/7 and the hound just gives us the usual sad face - which he has 24/7 smile.gif.

Mine don't choose the time they get fed as I vary it, but once I set the wheels in motion, all the silliness happens laugh.gif.

I generally use this time to train at least one or 2 of them.

Seems such a waste to have all that enthusiasm & not use it for my own purposes :)

Next he'll be out getting a clicker to train you :rofl:

Haha. You have no idea. I used to say 'sneezing, good boy' whenever my dog sneezed to capture the sneeze and put it on cue. This worked pretty quickly, but then every time he did an organic sneeze he looked at me intensely until I said it then wagged his tail 'mission accomplished' and relaxed. Now whenever any of the dogs sneeze I say it without thinking and so does the entire family! He's conditioned us all!

:laugh:

Fur-panto does this too, except she does a snout/head press instead of the magic button. She knows she isn't allowed to beg whilst we're eating (she gets fed sometime between the humans eating, and bed-time), although sometimes OH is lazy and feeds her before (for which he gets a reprimand!).

She will look pointedly at your food. then in the direction of her food and bowl (another room), then snout/head gets pressed down onto a surface (coffee table, leg, couch...)... and she'll stay there giving you pointed looks... and sometimes falls asleep doing it...

the look

post-36791-0-81353700-1355896946_thumb.jpg

the snout/head press

post-36791-0-43493800-1355896953_thumb.jpg