Christmas Trees And Dogs

dandybrush

We don't have any tree trouble here. When Sonny was little & the tree was put up he checked it out, touching the orniments with his nose but he was rewarded when he left it alone so he just stares at it now in amazment like a child lol. Stella is frightened of it."Oh no, not that scarey tree again" ! She wont go within 10 feet of it.

I can't put any presents under it though till after dogs are in bed xmas eve because Sonny goes over every single one of them, smelling them & pushes his nose into them to see if they squeak. If they smell good or make a noise they get opened as fast as he can & he gets so excited, just like a child. He loves chrissy time. Such a funny, beautiful boy :)

Alkhe, your little foster is such a cutie, bet he is loving every minute of the terrible "abuse" he is subjected to of late.....giggle.

Edited by BC Crazy

Former foster now Mum's dog liked to walk underneath it around in circles. Took us a while but we think it was to scratch her back. Was quite funny as the tree spins as she does it. Unfortunatly it fell, she ran away and has never been near it again. :rofl::rofl: (Aren't we mean laughing at her)

So basically knock it over when they go near it and they wont go near it again. Though we did lose a few ornaments

thanx guys yeah i know my older boy razzle would be good he doesnt seem to get up to much when locked inside. its my younger terror who loves to shred and destroy anything/everything :laugh: i think when i buy a new tree next year i will also get a puppy pen and protect my pressies also the citronella spray is a good idea :thumbsup:

currently i have all my presents wrapped and up on the dining room table...will be curious to see how they fare after today, mine also are locked in for about 6 hrs a day while im at work.

Hi dandybrush - my older dogs don't even look at it (having said that, though I don't tempt them by having presents underneath. This year we have an addition to our family (a two-year-old - canine, not human) and just to be sure I bought a kids playpen. The tree is in the corner and fenced off at the three sides she can get to (although she has shown zero interest in it so far).

:)

I have no family so no pressies....actually I can't even put the tree up as I got another lounge for the dogs so no room for the tree. I do put up some tinsel and lights, just to get in the spirit :)

Stans mum I hope you give yourself a present! :)

My dogs ignore the tree. They would have fun with presents under the tree though if I was silly enough to leave any there.

My two dogs, Rosie & Luci pretty much ignore the tree. They will take notice if the lights are flashing. Temporary Resident pup however needs to be supervised. I left her for a few minutes to put the kettle on and to my knowledge she stayed put on the couch. Until I saw her sparkly present on the back lawn..yep wrapped in tinsel pieces. :eek:

So now pup is gated out of the area if cannot see her.

the big tree, presents and general decos have been up for about 4 days and all was going well. till today. my little foster failure tempeh has twice been caught today helping herself to decorations. they will probably all be in the backyard covered in slobber by the time christmas day arrives! :cry:

post-11463-0-45588800-1355757868_thumb.jpg

In the 14 / 15 years I had Tara and Sam , I never had one incident with them touching the tree or ordaments or even presents left under there including their stockings with treats in them :)

was sad yesterday when put the tree up as the first Christmas without Tara this year :(

she loved to sit and watch me as did Sam

and they seemed to know they had a stocking under there for them

Tynka hasnt seemed to worry about the tree or presents yet

My dogs are awesome with the tree. But my cats!!!!!!..... :banghead:

Tufftuff2012_zpse717589c.jpg

Tuff tuff thinks the tree is her own personal gym!!! We have it anchored to the curtain rail in 3 spots with fishing line...thank goodness otherwise it would be long gone!

She plays chasings with her sister....& has broken 4 deco's & a set of lights.....grrrrr

love the tree guard dog :laugh:

mine have never touched it , the birds on the other hand love it and I can't find them :rofl: I don't put the dogs pressies under the tree, nothing else under there interests them

I know somepne that sprayed the lower levels wih citronella , stopped thiers from attacking it , worth a try, you could put a fence round it maybe

Just watch out for ornaments we lost a cockatiel who chewed a decoration the wire of which was copper. Turns out copper is toxic to birds.

love the tree guard dog :laugh:

mine have never touched it , the birds on the other hand love it and I can't find them :rofl: I don't put the dogs pressies under the tree, nothing else under there interests them

I know somepne that sprayed the lower levels wih citronella , stopped thiers from attacking it , worth a try, you could put a fence round it maybe

Just watch out for ornaments we lost a cockatiel who chewed a decoration the wire of which was copper. Turns out copper is toxic to birds.

oh dear never thought of that, something to keep in mind thankyou , most of mine are string luckily and the birds mainly hide in there from me lol

If your Christmas tree could be placed on top of a table top, then do it. Place the presents in a place where your dog wouldn't be able to reach it. Or, you could try putting a fence around the Christmas tree so your dog wouldn't get to it. Of course, you have to make sure that your dog won't be able to leap over it.

Stans mum, hope you buy yourself something special too . Maybe you have chrissy lunch plans with friends or something :) Merry Christmas to you, gorgeous Stan & Maddie :)

Thank you and you too kayla1. Yes I'm having Chrissy lunch with friends and their family so will be lovely. Thank you so much for the Xmas wishes...very kind :)

our tree is on a coffee table and presents put around the bottom of it even chocolates....they haven't touched it so far but when the kids put the candy canes on the tree one of the dogs grabbed one and had it eaten before we caught her with it :laugh: