Are Strawberries Okay For Dog?

pipsqueak

Thank you. Dogs usually pretty much get kibble and raw meaty bones, so I've never really thought about fruit/veg they can or cannot have. But, I have read onions and tomatoes are a no-no, which is what prompted me to check. Off to give them just a few to see if they like them.

Thank you. Dogs usually pretty much get kibble and raw meaty bones, so I've never really thought about fruit/veg they can or cannot have. But, I have read onions and tomatoes are a no-no, which is what prompted me to check. Off to give them just a few to see if they like them.

Grapes are the other main no-go fruit, other than that it's pretty much fine to give them most fruits.

Strawberries are a big winner in our house with my 2. They have them as a treat after dinner. OH got them started on them. I didn't think they would hurt but not so sure about the trickle of cream & icing sugar though .....giggle :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Well, that was an interesting experiment. Our "garbage guts" (part lab), who I thought would inhale them, spat them out! Our girl, who is a delicate, and sometimes fussy eater, nibbled delicately, and decided that they were okay. I then ate one in front of "garbage guts" to show him that they were edible, so then he thought they were okay. Our girl was scrambling for more. They only got two each, as I didn't want to risk upset tummie, but it just shows that you cannot always predict what your dogs will/will not like!

My dogs raided my strawberry patch before we even knew they were ripe :laugh:

same here, I put some wire netting around my strawberries and the dogs had fun lifting it up from the bottom to get the strawberries.

Penny ate so many she looked like she had on red lippy :laugh:

OH has certainly spoilt our 2 as far as their strawberry indulgence goes. It has become a nightly after dinner ritual. As soon as they even think they hear OH go to the fridge to get them our 2 race up to their spots on the rug in front of the TV & sit there salivating in anticipation LOL

And don't think Miss Stella will have hers without cream or icing sugar, oh no! If you give her a plain Strawberry she spits it straight back at you, little bugger :) ha ha....

Stan ate every cherry tomato in my vegie patch the first year I got him and he was fine. There were random tomato plants popping up all over the back yard, just mowed over them though...I know where they'd been.

Haven't tried strawberries on mine, but Sam is very fond of mulberries - picks the lower ones while the birds & I fight for those higher up.

Twig has more exotic tastes. She chomps through the cape gooseberries, cheerfully spitting out covers & stones.

Thought I heard somewhere that avocado is not good for dogs either.

Stan ate every cherry tomato in my vegie patch the first year I got him and he was fine. There were random tomato plants popping up all over the back yard, just mowed over them though...I know where they'd been.

Pretty sure it's just unripe tomatoes - the red ones are fine as far as I understand it :)

:laugh: ahh Stan

Stan is a funny fella , Stan's the man LOL

Stan is a funny fella , Stan's the man LOL

Yes Stanley the nutter strikes again. It's been suggested by friends that I write a book called "The Adventures Of Stan" :laugh: