Dogs Scared Of Fireworks & Nye

HeelerLove

I do find that having the TV up loud - even if it's playing the NYE fireworks - tends to settle my girl pretty well. She can tell the difference between the real thing and "fake" sounds from the TV, so having the TV louder than the outside bangs works for us.

T.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a genuine question for those that think coddling the dog when there is a thunderstorm or fireworks is what is best for the dog..

What do you do, when you can't get home to coddle the animal?

I understand staying home on NYE due to fireworks but surely there have been times when you have not been able to get home for the dog during a thunderstorm?

I don't agree with ignoring a distressed animal but I do believe that petting, cuddling it and telling it that it's all OK while it is in a state of panic, isn't the right thing to do (just my opinion). I guess if it works for you that's great but what about when you can't be there??

I do think giving the dog something to do (training time) or a safe place to hide away is a way to deal with it.

I am also happy for the dog to sit next to me, follow me around and a I act like nothing is going on. I will pat the dog and play games, turn the TV or music up and lights are on.. This is what has worked for me in the past.

I always leave the TV on and a light on when I go out..

I have been very lucky that the last 2 dogs I have are/were not afraid of storms or crackers.

Sometimes distractions don't work and the dog is not interested in training, food, or anything else.

It's not coddling as such but as corvus said, calm comforting. I find calm comforting (holding, gently stroking) works for Annie because she seeks me out when scared and prefers to be close. Kayla, on the other hand, needs her space and she has her own safe places, which on NYE is usually in the shower. So calm comforting doesn't work as well for her. They're all different and you do whatever works for them.

Thanks for all the replies. He is an outside dog, shows no interest in coming inside the house except when there are fireworks then he is straight under the bed lol.

The 'bear hug' for a few minutes calms him down enough to just sit with us without being too scared until the next one goes off.

I thought about taking him and our girl (who couldn't care less!) for a drive as they both love the car and drives but not sure if he would react worse being in the enclosed car if they were going off (and could be difficult handling 27kgs of terrified ACD whilst in the car lol)

He has a fully enclosed kennel to hide in, the shed to go into (with radio on 24/7) and he can come inside the house if he wants to.

I might have a look in pet stock for a thunder shirt a bit later today too.

Needless to say we'll be home with him tonight for the fireworks. Ill see how he goes with the first few if we just act like nothing bad is happening and all is normal and if he does his normal freak out ill sit with him again.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated!

Zoe doesn't like storms and fireworks. If she will settle in a crate, under the table or under the bed, then that is where she usually ends up when there are fireworks on - whatever will keep them settled. Under the bed tends to work when nothing else will settle her.

Whenever there are fireworks and your dog looks scared, don't make him see that you seem scared as well. Also, make sure that you find something else to do so his attention wouldn't be directed to the fireworks. Most importantly, don't try to soothe him as he would think that you are reinforcing his behavior - and that wouldn't help you at all.

Marieevans have you read the thread at all?

Obviously not. :laugh:

I'm another for do what suits your dog. I tried everything with Kenny & the only thing that worked, was him sitting next to me with his head tucked underneath my armpit.

I'm just hoping my little Cougar isn't afraid of fireworks, I'll find out tonight.

I have a genuine question for those that think coddling the dog when there is a thunderstorm or fireworks is what is best for the dog..

I understand staying home on NYE due to fireworks but surely there have been times when you have not been able to get home for the dog during a thunderstorm?

I don't agree with ignoring a distressed animal but I do believe that petting, cuddling it and telling it that it's all OK while it is in a state of panic, isn't the right thing to do (just my opinion). I guess if it works for you that's great but what about when you can't be there??

I do think giving the dog something to do (training time) or a safe place to hide away is a way to deal with it.

I am also happy for the dog to sit next to me, follow me around and a I act like nothing is going on. I will pat the dog and play games, turn the TV or music up and lights are on.. This is what has worked for me in the past.

I have been very lucky that the last 2 dogs I have are/were not afraid of storms or crackers.

Well I don't coddle my dog but I will answer anyway :) I am trying to avoid the big state of panic and try to do as much distraction as possible by any means to avoid it. If me getting down and giving him a bear hug distracts him enough to think 'wtf' and take his mind off listening for the bangs then that's what I am going to do.

What you have done is basically what people are saying to do, don't just shut them away and ignore a very distressed animal but try a few different methods to get a better result.

This is for fireworks only though, thunder he will bark at but only if it's close and there is always someone home to put him in a crate or calm him.

I was getting no where with ignoring him and allowing him to get so stressed he would be shaking and crying, sure it may make some dogs worse but if all people have ever done is ignore their dog and it's not working, then surely trying something new and different would be worth a go?

Edited by tollersowned

Tight pressure in some points actually can help relieve stress - much like s thundershirst. My girl isn't normally scared but we had a huge storm over our house a few months back. It woke me up and I found Lucy shaking under the bed. I tempted her out with num nums, she got on the bed ANC I pressed the point between her shoulders, she lay down and I put my head and hand against her firmly. She could easily have moved away (never trap the dog!) but she settled right down and slept peacefully. I'm glad that I didn't follow the age old "ignore the dog" mantra.

Tight pressure in some points actually can help relieve stress - much like s thundershirst. My girl isn't normally scared but we had a huge storm over our house a few months back. It woke me up and I found Lucy shaking under the bed. I tempted her out with num nums, she got on the bed ANC I pressed the point between her shoulders, she lay down and I put my head and hand against her firmly. She could easily have moved away (never trap the dog!) but she settled right down and slept peacefully. I'm glad that I didn't follow the age old "ignore the dog" mantra.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Interesting about the point between the shoulder blades, because that is where my dogs love being scratched and so does Gussy Cat.

I don't think my 9 month old pup has been through fireworks before so I didn't know how he would go, but He's pretty laid back about everything. The 9pms are going off now and we are pretty close, and He's fine. He tried barking at them when they started, but He's gone back to sleep now! Max didn't even wake up when they started.

I am able to be home with Smooch as I am home 90% of the time, I do watch the weather forecast and if there are storms forecast I never go out. I know other people are not able to do this.

I am trying a thunder shirt that I have borrowed from a friend, on my Stafford tonight for the first time. So far, there have been fireworks, and he is a lot better. Slept through some, which amazed me. Fingers crossed for midnight.

My little dogs are all scared of them except for one. I don't have thunder shirts for them, but will buy one to try, as they are all scared of thunder storms as well. Good luck to every one. I just hope the fireworks are over quickly, and don't drag on for hours like last year.