New Foster Carer Required For A Whippet X

Approx a month ago I took on a very scared and timid Whippet x from Hawkesbury Pound. She has come a long leaps and bounds, but unfortunately has become far too boisterous for my two dogs. Her vet work is already completed (vacc, micro and desexed) and she is on flea and worm medication.

Poppy is now an affectionate sweetheart who is currently sleeping on my feet under the desk. I reside in Kingswood NSW (near Penrith) and would ideally find a carer for her nearby so I can keep in touch with the carer and Poppy with visits if need be and assist in her training.

She loves other dogs and loves to play. However I do not have cats, nor have I properly assessed her with cats, and she is not suitable in a home with free range chickens.

There is no need to sign up to the rescue group I am affiliated with, we are willing to sign her over to another rescue if the carer would prefer. Any new carers would require a yard check prior to signing up with our group.

Here is her PetRescue profile and I have attached a photo below.

Please get in touch with me asap if you can be of any assistance or have any questions.

post-2348-0-29559000-1357619204_thumb.jpg

The pound had her listed as a Bull Terrier x, but I saw Whippet and felt she had a whippet type personality (but I am limited in my whippet experience). She could well be Pharoah hound. I shall upload more images for people to take a guess:

2013-01-02_16-54-10_898_zps9fcad8ba.jpg

IMG_2537-1_zpsb2225a19.jpg

2012-12-11_21-02-48_867-1_zpsee640689.jpg

Considering the prevalence in Pharaoh Hounds and crosses in rescue in the Sydney area recently I would say there's a fair chance she has Pharaoh breeding. The big pricked ears disappear very quickly with crossing away from Pharaoh so first cross is likely.

Carlo1 on here is an experienced Pharaoh fosterer and owner and may be able to offer some knowledgable contacts. The Pharaohs and crosses that have come through rescue in the last few years have needed experienced homes - lovely, lovely dogs but not beginner types.

Considering the prevalence in Pharaoh Hounds and crosses in rescue in the Sydney area recently I would say there's a fair chance she has Pharaoh breeding. The big pricked ears disappear very quickly with crossing away from Pharaoh so first cross is likely.

Carlo1 on here is an experienced Pharaoh fosterer and owner and may be able to offer some knowledgable contacts. The Pharaohs and crosses that have come through rescue in the last few years have needed experienced homes - lovely, lovely dogs but not beginner types.

That's what I was thinking, the one's I've come across have been very full on and they are so different from Whippets.

Big ears does not make a Pharaoh but in saying that, nothing would surprise me at all considering the amount of rescue Pharaohs and crossbreds there have been in need of help.

I honestly think Rescue Groups are shying away from helping Pharaohs.The last one I fostered had such extreme issues he had to be euthanised whilst in care.He had been bounced around five homes in his short life and nobody had been able to deal with him.They are not for beginners as Aloysha said.

I cant help you Shmoo.I am boarding a Pharaoh puppy here at the moment whilst owners are away and her welfare has to come first.I am inclined to think its a Whippet Cross myself . . . .can you explain how full on this dog is with your other dogs?

Thank everybody, very interesting that most of you seem to think Pharaoh x.

She was very timid in the pound, basically did nothing but sit shoved up against the wall and ate the bare minimum to survive. She is still a little timid, certainly pretty freaked when we walk off the property, it's just that she is super playful and full of energy and my dogs are 9 and 10 years old and are not interested in playing with her constantly. My Greyhound tears around the yard with her for about 5 mins and then needs to sleep for 12 hours :laugh: but Poppy keeps trying to play with her and even when they snap at her she doesn't get it and just barks in their face.

eta: I give her bones and treat balls which she loves (very food motivated) and I try to play with her and her toys (as she loves her toys too) but she isn't quite sure what to do when I approach her and stops playing. She does however stand about 2 metres away from me and bark at my when she wants my attention and wants to play :banghead:

I've taken her for about 4 walks at the park across the road and but she is still very concerned about things going on around her -- other people, cars, loud noises etc. She loves to rub her belly on the grass (as displayed in one of the photos), but if she can see home she just tries to drag me back.

Edited by shmoo

I honestly think Rescue Groups are shying away from helping Pharaohs.

I fostered a litter of Pharoah x Afghans a couple years back. One (DaVinci) stayed longer than anyone else and we had such a huge bond. He was so loyal and unlike any other pup I'd fostered before (or since, pretty much). Although my place isn't suitable to an adult of his size, I would jump at the chance to experience the breed(s) again. Here he is:

296623_10150775704540203_6062081_n.jpg

Sorry to hijack, Shmoo. I wish I could help but my place is full. :(