Please Help Me Save My Dog

Jellyblush

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one I have called 4 valueplus calming paste :)

I have an update for you all. Today Roo escaped from the Uni Girls again - this time they decided be fine to go out and leave her in their backyard. Um...no, I pay you because she CAN'T be left in a backyard, otherwise I'd leave her in mine!! She easily jumped their 1 metre gate - she used to jump my 2 metre gate - and ran home. I left work and along looking for her, calling her, and just as I got to a really busy intersection (St Georges Rd/Separation St for Melbs people) she darted across it towards me, ducking traffic, horns blaring, cars screeching...about 20cm from being hit by a 4WD I reckon. I nearly lost her.

In better news, crate is working a treat, I left the house today to put the bins out and also to go to the letterbox, tried the sounds of keys opening closing and garage door opening closing, about 2 minutes outside each time. She was fine. Ears pricked up when the doors closed behind me but that was it. What WAS funny is when I returned, suddenly she was all quivering and lip licking....but when I watched the video, she had only done that when I got back! Little primadonna. So, shows I have to work really hard on my reactions. From now on she gets NOTHING!! haha.

Of course the clever Nekhbet predicted this on Saturday :)

SO now I am in a predicament. Roo can't go back to the girls. They aren't responsible enough. BUT I feel like we are actually making progress and possibly on the verge of a breakthrough with this thing. I need at least a month ..... maybe longer.....of a daytime solution.

Looks like I'm taking the day off again tomorrow!

I've just caught up on this thread, what a roller coaster! Jelly, you're doing an amazing job with Roo, despite having so much to deal with.

What a disappointment about the girls :( Were there still any options from DOLers for people who may be able to take her for the next little while? I so wish I was nearby.

It's great that you have a new approach with Nekhbet, hopefully taking a different tack to what you've tried previously will be just what is needed! Nek, so awesome of you to help.

Unbelievable that the uni girls would think it's okay to leave her alone especially after the first incident. That said, the other developments sound really promising, Jelly :thumbsup:

Perhaps you could consider pensioners who are always home for the day?

Unbelievable that the uni girls would think it's okay to leave her alone especially after the first incident. That said, the other developments sound really promising, Jelly :thumbsup:

I've thought about that .... but how would I find them, maybe I could hang around Centrelink or the bank on pension day :D

No more guarantee that older people are responsible than younger ones also.

I think I'll just have to stump up for a month of daycare. I can probably put that on the credit card and hope for the best :eek:

And hope the crate thing works out in that timeframe. What do you smarter-than-me people think - is that reasonable?

Been watching Big Bang Theory all night, going out every ad break with the camera on. She's not flinching. I've tried to follow my going to work sequence - pick up keys, then when that gets no reaction pick up keys turn shower on, followed by pick up keys turn shower on put heels on go up hallway then finally out for 3 minutes and back in.

Repeat ad nauseum :D

I even worked up to getting in the car and going round the block.

Tomorrow more of the same leading up to 10 minutes.

Am I on the right track?

Sounds like you're going well :thumbsup: Stick with what Nek says though, not only does she have the expertise, she's seen Roo in person too so she's in the best position to advise you.

You may find you don't need the daycare for a whole month depending on how quickly she progresses, but being prepared for it sounds like a good idea. I'd love to help financially but unfortunately this is the worst possible time for me to be able to.

Definitely sending good thoughts to you though :hug:

Sounds like you're going well :thumbsup: Stick with what Nek says though, not only does she have the expertise, she's seen Roo in person too so she's in the best position to advise you.

You may find you don't need the daycare for a whole month depending on how quickly she progresses, but being prepared for it sounds like a good idea. I'd love to help financially but unfortunately this is the worst possible time for me to be able to.

Definitely sending good thoughts to you though :hug:

Don't worry I will! And, what lovely people are on this forum. what a wonderful thing to say, that you'd love to help. Roo and I will manage though :)

I have asked both vets re. care during the day. Nothing as yet. And no possibility to have her there.

I've thought about that .... but how would I find them, maybe I could hang around Centrelink or the bank on pension day :D

No more guarantee that older people are responsible than younger ones also.

I think I'll just have to stump up for a month of daycare. I can probably put that on the credit card and hope for the best :eek:

And hope the crate thing works out in that timeframe. What do you smarter-than-me people think - is that reasonable?

Been watching Big Bang Theory all night, going out every ad break with the camera on. She's not flinching. I've tried to follow my going to work sequence - pick up keys, then when that gets no reaction pick up keys turn shower on, followed by pick up keys turn shower on put heels on go up hallway then finally out for 3 minutes and back in.

Repeat ad nauseum :D

I even worked up to getting in the car and going round the block.

Tomorrow more of the same leading up to 10 minutes.

Am I on the right track?

If I hadn't just adopted my Staffy girl, I would have loved to do it, I dog sat all the dogs here while I was dog less. There must be many other oldies like me, that are missing having a dog & are home all day, but how to connect with them.

Maybe someone should start a website for people needing a dog in their life & people needing dog sitters. I'm not talking about a paid arrangement, just a mutual exchange of someone getting to spend some time with a dog & the owner knows their dog is safe.

Between the passing of Hank and getting Jake I would have been happy to dog daysit, company without committnent. How do you access people like that, ads at the vet, dog park maybe? Well done Jelly, very happy to hear you got some timeout for human company.

You are doing an awesome job with Roo I really hope you can make it through! Very disappointing about the uni girls, I agree with others that an older couple would be the way to go. I used to find Agistment for my horses by simply door knocking places that had an empty paddock, you would be surprised how easy it is, start with your neighbours as you will be able to sound them out. My mum has some elderly neighbours they used to have a farm they love dogs but won't have one now as they feel they are too old for the full time responsibility so finding people like that would be ideal if you can.

Your boss doesn't sound very accommodating, but is it possible to sometimes take her to work? Even in her crate, under your desk with a bone or something to keep her occupied? She looks like she'd just happily chill out and sleep and not make an annoyance of herself, would your boss even consider a trial for a day or a few hours?

Plus, dogs are great morale boosters for the office! I bring mine in sometimes, everyone loves it.

I think it is going to be pretty much impossible to find someone to look after Roo. The person would need to not leave the house from 9-5. Or have a very secure dog run. Even someone that is at home most of the day is going to have to go out sometimes.

Are there any boarding kennels near you? Or any dog breeders? They might be cheaper then the doggie day care.