Family Pet Mauled To Death

pie

Odds are that he did slink off to avoid prosecution - but there is also the slight possibility that he was also extremely shocked at the actions of his dog and just didn't know how to cope with the situation.

We are always so quick to judge people and their dogs based on only one side of the story - and this one is a media story to boot.

We have only the small dog's owners account of the story. We don't know if the small dog was or wasn't actually acting excitedly at the time. We don't know why the big dog only targetted that particular small dog. We don't know if the big dog had any history of dog aggression or heightened prey drive. All we know is what the owners of the small dog have reported to the media.

I'm not excusing anything about what happened - any dog killing another is simply NOT acceptable for any reason - but I'm not jumping on the assumption bandwagon either.

T.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He probably panicked. The reference to a hit and run driver is apt.

Yeah I'd agree with this. Even a crappy owner would be shocked and upset to see something like this happen. He probably shat himself, was scared about what was going to happen to his dog now, and didn't know what to do. Doesn't excuse the behaviour, he should have stayed, but I can undersatand how that would be someone's first reaction.

Horrible situation all round.

First of all i want to express my deepest sympathy to the owners of the “little dog” Elfie <3 and my over whelming utter DISSCUST for the owner of the “large breed dog”

Most of all i want to say, clearly no one will ever know what happened, these things happen so quick! plus alot and alot and ALOT of people do not understand their own dogs fully let alone understand the way dogs NATURALLY react/behave!

I am not saying that the little dog acted aggressively towards the bigger dog and im also not saying the bigger dog just attacked unprovoked, we will never know i guess! but people do need to understand!! DOGS DONT TALK they rely on ENERGY!!! The energy that may have been projected from the smaller dog may not have been a calm energy it could have even been excited but to any dog and a dominant dog foremost be it a small or large dog an unstable dog that does not project calm energy is seen to be weak. In the natural world weak animals are killed they are not comforted and told to toughen up! It is horrible to think but it is the truth.

We say it is un natural....but please try remember of were dogs originated from, they are hunters/killers if we like it or not, they have a natural drive that only by our human interference can it be redirected to do other things like search and rescue, sniffer dogs, police dogs and even guide dogs! All of these dogs have the same make up and are all still DOGS but there energy and natural instincts have been redirected to use for the good.!

In regards to the bloke that walked away.......how about we all hate on him and not his dog!! I guarantee you all of this would have been avoided if the dog had a stable and confident owner someone that clearly respected ALL dogs, knew what they mean to a human as a companion, how they need to cared for and most of understanding the natural behaviour of dogs.

I will never take my dogs to the dog beach for this exact reason! I do not have control over other peoples dogs and i think the beach is just a massive fight about to happen and in this case it did, a horrific one.

I believe this is ALL THE OWNERS FAULT OF THE LARGE BREED DOG! I am not saying the dog is to be blamed and definitely not the poor defenceless Elfie.

Humans need to realise you can take the dog out of the wild but you cant take the wild out of a dog EVER!!! Not matter what breed and no matter what size!

I hope they find the owner that so heartlessly walked away from a dying dog knowing that HE was fully responsible!

RIP Elfie and my wishes lie with the family that they find the guy!

How would any of us react if we saw our own dog do what the big dog did in that story? How much would it help to hang around with the offending dog and offer apologies?

I'm not excusing what the dog or the owner did as told in the story - but am offering a possible different theory as to what they may have done next.

T.

I think my adrenelin would've had me in there punching and kicking my dog off the one it was hurting but once you seperate them you do need to put distance between both dogs so I can imagine myself calling for help to leash and confine my dog on the sand but still within talking or yelling distance from the owner so we could communicate what then to do to help their dog. And if I had a car with me I'd get my dog in the car and race right back to the scene of the crime. I'd be crying right along with them but still wanting to help their fatally injured dog above my own needs or that of my dog. I think the owners would be able to identify my own honest distress and concern for what had happened and I would take whatever punishment from them or the legal system that came my way. That's because I love animals and care for the distress of my fellow human beings. Slinking away simply doesn't cut it for me. He could've tethered his dog and come straight back. Even if he got scared and took off he could've fessed up later and tried to clean up the mess left behind. Just makes me sad when people avoid responsibility for things even if they were an accident or a one off. I don't think that kind of denial is healthy - loss/loss situation.

I am not saying that the little dog acted aggressively towards the bigger dog and im also not saying the bigger dog just attacked unprovoked, we will never know i guess! but people do need to understand!! DOGS DONT TALK they rely on ENERGY!!! The energy that may have been projected from the smaller dog may not have been a calm energy it could have even been excited but to any dog and a dominant dog foremost be it a small or large dog an unstable dog that does not project calm energy is seen to be weak. In the natural world weak animals are killed they are not comforted and told to toughen up! It is horrible to think but it is the truth.

We say it is un natural....but please try remember of were dogs originated from, they are hunters/killers if we like it or not, they have a natural drive that only by our human interference can it be redirected to do other things like search and rescue, sniffer dogs, police dogs and even guide dogs! All of these dogs have the same make up and are all still DOGS but there energy and natural instincts have been redirected to use for the good.!

what a lot of psycho babble

Cesar Milan has a lot to answer for... and not all in a positive way...

If you tried to apply some of his methods to a couple of my dogs, you'd be bitten, and deservedly so.

He is a trained professional, and has years of experience up his sleeve. Applying his (nicely TV edited and sanitised) methods to the average dog will see you in deep water faster than you can say "be calm and assertive"... *grin*

T.

I had to go watch that now that you mentioned it. Wow. Not all dogs are as easily pushed around as pitbulls it seems... Maybe he should stick to what he knows... Then again those poor beasties probably suffer enough without his "training"

Edited by BlackJaq

How would any of us react if we saw our own dog do what the big dog did in that story? How much would it help to hang around with the offending dog and offer apologies?

I'm not excusing what the dog or the owner did as told in the story - but am offering a possible different theory as to what they may have done next.

T.

If my dog was being attacked I would want the owner of the other dog to leave with his dog quickly. It would only be afterwards that I would be aware that he hadn't apologised etc. Think about the state the attacking dog would be in - how on earth is it helpful to have a dog reacting like that still around?

I say this as someone whose dogs were attacked by a large off-leash dog years ago. The dog was seriously dog aggressive and we were, quite simpy, lucky that the dog's very young owner came running up quickly and got it on lead. All I wanted in the moment was that dog a LONG, LONG way from my dogs. It was only afterwards that I regretted not knowing where it lived so that I could report it.

ETA - not excusing anything as it is an horrific situation but explaining why the man & his dog leaving may actually have been a good thing in the moment.

Edited by Trisven13

and yet another case of stupidity by the media reporting that the dog was "believed" to be a certain breed.

As for the bloke punching the dog in the head, mate, stick ya boots into it's ribs with all the force you can muster, hitting a dog in the head will only hurt you.

I do feel very sorry for the family, but i'd like to know the full story, did their little fluffball yap and carry on toward the larger dog first or was it as portrayed, a completely unprovoked attack? Unfortunately we're never likely to know!

And now you make me see RED, here you go suggesting the small dog was to blame. Read the article again. The black dog was offleash. It was a much bigger dog. This was an unprovoked attack - it sounds like it was so sudden that noone had time to do much, they didn't see it coming! It RIPPED THE INNARDS out of the smaller dog.

What does it take to make you and people like you realise that this is abnormal? It is completely unacceptable and this owner should go to jail and pay an enormous fine, his dog should be euthanased. The owner did nothing at all to prevent this attack and I'd like to know how many other dogs and animals have been killed already by this large dog - you can put money on it that it's done it before.

wow, so many posters suggesting i'm excusing an unprovoked attack. Read what i actually said and try again. I did not place blame on either dog, I simply stated I'd really like to know the full story, not just what the media has told us. Did this occur in an offleash dog area? Did the larger dog approach the smaller dog and the larger dog ended up reacting to the smaller dog acting aggressively? Was the small dog really on leash? Lots of questions which we probably will never know the answer to.

What does it take to make people like me reaslie that this is abnormal? What does it take to make morons who own little yappy fluffballs to realise that it's not ok for their dog to aggressively approach other dogs? I didn't intend for my comment to suggest that a dog getting barked at was reason enough for the other dog to react in such a manner, however anyone who lives in the real world will see stupid owners of all sized dogs allow their uncontrolled dogs to act dominant or aggressively toward other dogs, the majority of those are little fluffy yap yaps. It doesn't take much for a large dog to rip a small dog apart!

BTW, I'm absolutely sick of stupid owners(mostly owning little fluffball yap yaps) who allow their dogs to charge and carry on toward my dog. It may well be the case that this little dog was completely innocent and the larger dog(well it's owner at least) was completely at fault but I'd like to know the full story, not just what we're told by the media!

what a jerk you are mymatejack

That's incredibly rude when mymatejack hasn't been rude to anyone here. I suggest you go and read the forum rules.

and yet another case of stupidity by the media reporting that the dog was "believed" to be a certain breed.

As for the bloke punching the dog in the head, mate, stick ya boots into it's ribs with all the force you can muster, hitting a dog in the head will only hurt you.

I do feel very sorry for the family, but i'd like to know the full story, did their little fluffball yap and carry on toward the larger dog first or was it as portrayed, a completely unprovoked attack? Unfortunately we're never likely to know!

And now you make me see RED, here you go suggesting the small dog was to blame. Read the article again. The black dog was offleash. It was a much bigger dog. This was an unprovoked attack - it sounds like it was so sudden that noone had time to do much, they didn't see it coming! It RIPPED THE INNARDS out of the smaller dog.

What does it take to make you and people like you realise that this is abnormal? It is completely unacceptable and this owner should go to jail and pay an enormous fine, his dog should be euthanased. The owner did nothing at all to prevent this attack and I'd like to know how many other dogs and animals have been killed already by this large dog - you can put money on it that it's done it before.

wow, so many posters suggesting i'm excusing an unprovoked attack. Read what i actually said and try again. I did not place blame on either dog, I simply stated I'd really like to know the full story, not just what the media has told us. Did this occur in an offleash dog area? Did the larger dog approach the smaller dog and the larger dog ended up reacting to the smaller dog acting aggressively? Was the small dog really on leash? Lots of questions which we probably will never know the answer to.

What does it take to make people like me reaslie that this is abnormal? What does it take to make morons who own little yappy fluffballs to realise that it's not ok for their dog to aggressively approach other dogs? I didn't intend for my comment to suggest that a dog getting barked at was reason enough for the other dog to react in such a manner, however anyone who lives in the real world will see stupid owners of all sized dogs allow their uncontrolled dogs to act dominant or aggressively toward other dogs, the majority of those are little fluffy yap yaps. It doesn't take much for a large dog to rip a small dog apart!

BTW, I'm absolutely sick of stupid owners(mostly owning little fluffball yap yaps) who allow their dogs to charge and carry on toward my dog. It may well be the case that this little dog was completely innocent and the larger dog(well it's owner at least) was completely at fault but I'd like to know the full story, not just what we're told by the media!

what a jerk you are mymatejack

That's incredibly rude when mymatejack hasn't been rude to anyone here. I suggest you go and read the forum rules.

I wouldn't worry about it, I have a pretty thick skin. Apparently some people(several more on this thread than just this poster) failed reading comprehension at school. Sheridan's accusations toward me are particularly humourous

Edited by mymatejack

• 2 weeks later...

OMG what a terrible thing to happen, my heart goes out to the poor dog and owners who were victims of such an horrific attack.........but the owner of the attacking dog didn't know his dog was DA.......I don't believe that for a second :mad There is a remote possiblity if threatened that a good stable dog may fight under pressure, but attacking dogs are cranky dogs with other dogs to some degree and an owner of a dog like that couldn't no matter how stupid they are be oblivious to the tendency for his dog to be DA and when that is the case, you can't afford to let dogs like that off leash around other dogs and that's the problem with places like dog parks and beaches etc, you can't control what idots may be there too with the wrong dogs at large which they have no control over themselves :eek:

???? Are you serious! What an idiotic thing to say.

There is NO excuse for this sort of attack.

I feel so deeply for the poor dog and owners. The attacking dog should be euthed, the owner charged and fined.

Now I am p'd off :laugh:

Three weeks ago I was walking my Bull Arab female. Fern is a gentle giant and is brilliant with other dogs.

Three unknown crossbreeds (one large breed, two meduim breeds) approached us. I could see on their approach I had an issue. I put Fern into a drop and stood between them and her. When I gently put my left hand down on Ferns head and said, stay. BANG! I have never experienced anything like it. I had one pinned down by the throat and was booting the other as hard as I could with my boot (I am pretty strong) The third dog kept coming in from behind.

This was an unprovoked attack. If it had been a small breed they would not have stood a chance. Kids walking that dog could well have been bitten and sustained serious injury.

I had 15 stitches in two fingers, luckily Fern was unharmed aside from a few puncture wounds around her back end. I am glad it was my hand and not Ferns head!

There is NO excuse for these sorts of attacks. Lose dogs walk the streets daily, it should not equate to a serious attack upon other dogs or people.