Family Pet Mauled To Death

pie

Geez, Mymatejack, perhaps you should stop while you're behind. :mad SO many assumptions, such complete and utter lack of empathy! Trying to cast this poor dog in a bad light when you have no clue! Where do you get off suggesting that it may have aggressively approached and 'yapped' at the attacking dog?

The beach concerned is a popular off leash dog beach, and the media report wasn't at all ambiguous about the fact that the dog was facing its owners. From what I can gather it was attacked either from the side or the rear while its attention was on its owners. I'd ask my friends who happen to be close friends of the family but I'm not that insensitive!

WHATEVER happened, nobody deserves to see their beloved dog torn apart in front of them and it would be nice if these threads didn't turn into "It must have been the small dog's fault" all the time, just because somebody made a guess as to the breed, rightly or wrongly. The dog was identified by the family, not the media, as being possibly an American staffy, it wasn't the usual media cry of 'pitbull! pitbull!'

I'm all for 'blame the deed, not the breed' but when you point the finger at the victim in such a harsh manner just because one of a few breeds is mentioned, it makes the anti BSL cause look like some fanatical anti-small/fluffy-dog hate campaign.

My dog is about as big as you can get, and a BSL target in some regions of some states, but I can still empathise with this poor family, and their poor little dog.

RIP Elfie :(

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mymatejack - you are the typical owner that I fear, no empathy for those that own small dogs.

As a small dog owner, I'm sick to death of people who own large, uncontrolled and frequently unfriendly dogs who allow them to run off lead or loose when they aren't even around.

And believe me, they far outweigh the number of small dogs in my area. I think I've found 2 loose small dogs over the last 5 years and many, many medium/large sized dogs in the same period.

The loose small dogs were not a problem to me - I didn't even have to kick them to deter them.

As for the large dogs, well it was a different story. I've had to fend them off by whatever means it took - one day I'll probably have a heart attack with the level of adrenaline required to get through. I'm currently having a problem walking my dogs in my street and the surrounding areas due to owners of large or dog aggressive dogs that are in unfenced or improperly fenced yards.

Your lack of empathy, emotional intelligence or whatever you want to call it - is obvious. You are pretty typical of the people I've encountered. Don't give a crap about anyone else.

mymatejack - you are the typical owner that I fear, no empathy for those that own small dogs.

As a small dog owner, I'm sick to death of people who own large, uncontrolled and frequently unfriendly dogs who allow them to run off lead or loose when they aren't even around.

And believe me, they far outweigh the number of small dogs in my area. I think I've found 2 loose small dogs over the last 5 years and many, many medium/large sized dogs in the same period.

The loose small dogs were not a problem to me - I didn't even have to kick them to deter them.

As for the large dogs, well it was a different story. I've had to fend them off by whatever means it took - one day I'll probably have a heart attack with the level of adrenaline required to get through. I'm currently having a problem walking my dogs in my street and the surrounding areas due to owners of large or dog aggressive dogs that are in unfenced or improperly fenced yards.

Your lack of empathy, emotional intelligence or whatever you want to call it - is obvious. You are pretty typical of the people I've encountered. Don't give a crap about anyone else.

Totally agree - a completely inappropriate response by this poster.

and yet another case of stupidity by the media reporting that the dog was "believed" to be a certain breed.

As for the bloke punching the dog in the head, mate, stick ya boots into it's ribs with all the force you can muster, hitting a dog in the head will only hurt you.

I do feel very sorry for the family, but i'd like to know the full story, did their little fluffball yap and carry on toward the larger dog first or was it as portrayed, a completely unprovoked attack? Unfortunately we're never likely to know!

And now you make me see RED, here you go suggesting the small dog was to blame. Read the article again. The black dog was offleash. It was a much bigger dog. This was an unprovoked attack - it sounds like it was so sudden that noone had time to do much, they didn't see it coming! It RIPPED THE INNARDS out of the smaller dog.

What does it take to make you and people like you realise that this is abnormal? It is completely unacceptable and this owner should go to jail and pay an enormous fine, his dog should be euthanased. The owner did nothing at all to prevent this attack and I'd like to know how many other dogs and animals have been killed already by this large dog - you can put money on it that it's done it before.

wow, so many posters suggesting i'm excusing an unprovoked attack. Read what i actually said and try again. I did not place blame on either dog, I simply stated I'd really like to know the full story, not just what the media has told us. Did this occur in an offleash dog area? Did the larger dog approach the smaller dog and the larger dog ended up reacting to the smaller dog acting aggressively? Was the small dog really on leash? Lots of questions which we probably will never know the answer to.

What does it take to make people like me reaslie that this is abnormal? What does it take to make morons who own little yappy fluffballs to realise that it's not ok for their dog to aggressively approach other dogs? I didn't intend for my comment to suggest that a dog getting barked at was reason enough for the other dog to react in such a manner, however anyone who lives in the real world will see stupid owners of all sized dogs allow their uncontrolled dogs to act dominant or aggressively toward other dogs, the majority of those are little fluffy yap yaps. It doesn't take much for a large dog to rip a small dog apart!

BTW, I'm absolutely sick of stupid owners(mostly owning little fluffball yap yaps) who allow their dogs to charge and carry on toward my dog. It may well be the case that this little dog was completely innocent and the larger dog(well it's owner at least) was completely at fault but I'd like to know the full story, not just what we're told by the media!

How do you get it into your head that stupid owners (mostly owning little fluffball yap yaps) allow their dogs to charge and carry on. What sort of a dog do you have? Personally, I wouldn't like to tangle with an owner like you. I think you would be the sort of owner who would blame any other dog or owner because you think you're correct. I have two mini schnauzers (must be one of those stupid owners and a moron) who interact with dogs at the park, big and small. By the way, the are not yap yaps. I have never had a problem with any dogs there. Why, because the owners are of the responsible and considerate type. More often than not, it's not the dog, it's the person that's with them. The person responsible for the dog that attacked is a moron and surely would have realised that the dog, supposedly under his control had the capability and obviously the temperament to do what he did. Again, I ask, how you would react if it was you in this situation and had seen your dog ripped apart in front of your eyes.

A dog that will rip the insides out of another dog, even if the other dog barked at it, is not a normal dog. On what planet is that remotely acceptable?! I feel so sorry for the family of the dog that was attacked, imagine watching your dog die in such a horrific way.

Ever seen a greyhound with high drive? They're just as capable of the same thing and it's certainly not abnormal. Some dogs have higher prey drive than others and sometimes in breeds you wouldn't expect. In this case, if it was an amstaff, I would consider some amount of prey drive to be pretty normal. Get a dog with higher drive, allow it to self-reward that drive by letting it hurt other animals and you have the makings for a situation just like this.

A dog with drive like that certainly shouldn't be out unmuzzled and offlead (I have a high drive dog myself and we have to be very careful) but high prey drive does not mean the dog is aggressive or abnormal- just that it needs to be managed more carefully.

Edit, typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

and yet another case of stupidity by the media reporting that the dog was "believed" to be a certain breed.

As for the bloke punching the dog in the head, mate, stick ya boots into it's ribs with all the force you can muster, hitting a dog in the head will only hurt you.

I do feel very sorry for the family, but i'd like to know the full story, did their little fluffball yap and carry on toward the larger dog first or was it as portrayed, a completely unprovoked attack? Unfortunately we're never likely to know!

And now you make me see RED, here you go suggesting the small dog was to blame. Read the article again. The black dog was offleash. It was a much bigger dog. This was an unprovoked attack - it sounds like it was so sudden that noone had time to do much, they didn't see it coming! It RIPPED THE INNARDS out of the smaller dog.

What does it take to make you and people like you realise that this is abnormal? It is completely unacceptable and this owner should go to jail and pay an enormous fine, his dog should be euthanased. The owner did nothing at all to prevent this attack and I'd like to know how many other dogs and animals have been killed already by this large dog - you can put money on it that it's done it before.

wow, so many posters suggesting i'm excusing an unprovoked attack. Read what i actually said and try again. I did not place blame on either dog, I simply stated I'd really like to know the full story, not just what the media has told us. Did this occur in an offleash dog area? Did the larger dog approach the smaller dog and the larger dog ended up reacting to the smaller dog acting aggressively? Was the small dog really on leash? Lots of questions which we probably will never know the answer to.

What does it take to make people like me reaslie that this is abnormal? What does it take to make morons who own little yappy fluffballs to realise that it's not ok for their dog to aggressively approach other dogs? I didn't intend for my comment to suggest that a dog getting barked at was reason enough for the other dog to react in such a manner, however anyone who lives in the real world will see stupid owners of all sized dogs allow their uncontrolled dogs to act dominant or aggressively toward other dogs, the majority of those are little fluffy yap yaps. It doesn't take much for a large dog to rip a small dog apart!

BTW, I'm absolutely sick of stupid owners(mostly owning little fluffball yap yaps) who allow their dogs to charge and carry on toward my dog. It may well be the case that this little dog was completely innocent and the larger dog(well it's owner at least) was completely at fault but I'd like to know the full story, not just what we're told by the media!

what a jerk you are mymatejack

A dog that will rip the insides out of another dog, even if the other dog barked at it, is not a normal dog. On what planet is that remotely acceptable?! I feel so sorry for the family of the dog that was attacked, imagine watching your dog die in such a horrific way.

Ever seen a greyhound with high drive? They're just as capable of the same thing and it's certainly not abnormal. Some dogs have higher prey drive than others and sometimes in breeds you wouldn't expect. In this case, if it was an amstaff, I would consider some amount of prey drive to be pretty normal. Get a dog with higher drive, allow it to self-reward that drive by letting it hurt other animals and you have the makings for a situation just like this.

A dog with drive like that certainly shouldn't be out unmuzzled and offlead (I have a high drive dog myself and we have to be very careful) but high prey drive does not mean the dog is aggressive or abnormal- just that it needs to be managed more carefully.

Edit, typo

I've yet to own or foster a greyhound that would rip out the insides of another dog. A cat or bird yes, but a dog, no.

Edit, typo

Firstly, we don't know that it was a prey drive triggered incident, and secondly it IS uncommon for a dog to rip out the insides of another dog. When I said it's not remotely acceptable I meant regardless of whether the small dog barked at the attacking dog, it doesn't make it ok that the larger dog mauled it to death.

I have an extremely high prey drive dog too and work with many others and of course prey drive doesn't equal aggression, but there's also no way to know what caused the dog to behave the way it did.

Edit, typo

I've yet to own or foster a greyhound that would rip out the insides of another dog. A cat or bird yes, but a dog, no.

I have one- she's currently outside napping in her sand spot. With people and large dogs, she's lovely. Would I trust her not to rip a small dogs to pieces.. absolutely not. I've had to put to sleep a couple of foster dogs who were more drivey than she was so it's not abnormal, just on the upper end of the scale. High prey drive in a breed type that was designed to chase and kill is not abnormal, it's a trait humans have selected and bred strongly for.

As for the damage the dog did, the ripping out the insides bit sounds terrible but when a dog picks something up and shakes it vioently, that can happen. When a dog kills something it intends to eat, the stomach is ripped open first as it's the easiest skin to get through- both of these things are normal predatory behaviours. Of course they aren't appropriate when practised on other dogs but that's why breeders/rescuers of dogs with developed prey drives need to help educate the public about drive and what it can lead to without proper management.

You're the one suggesting this is a little yappy fluffball and yet it clearly states it's a mini schnauzer.

You're the one suggesting that this dog provoked the bigger dog and that's why it's dead.

You did blame the dog that was killed and you're doing so again. You have no sympathy for the owners.

You are offensive and extremely nasty.

What is the world coming to when someone can witness their dog rip another one apart and then run off. It's bad enough that people scratch other people's cars and leave no note (happened to me last week) but seeing their dog do that and walking off that's just inhumane. We seem to have a whole generation of people growing up who take no personal responsiblity for anything and it would seem in this case have no feelings whatsoever. RIP Elfie.

what don't you get from the article?

It's the owners account, NOT the media's. The owner said it possibly could be a staffy NOT the media. The owners dog that was ripped apart DID NOT approach the other dog, it was with it's owners and it was approached. Let me guess, we also don't know if it was the media that ran onto the beach dressed as a dog and killed the other dog?

Media, Media, Media - how dare they report a victims account of what happened. The fact that the other owner did the bolt i think in about 30 seconds shows you what happened here.

But hey, its the media's fault. Not the owners, and certainly not that poor aggressive dog that ran up and tore another dog to shreads.

What an ugly post mymatejack you sad little individual.

RIP Elfie :(

it IS uncommon for a dog to rip out the insides of another dog.

yes,but not uncommon for internal bits to hang out of large puncture wounds/tears ....

A small dog being bitten ..people intervening ..large dog becoming more aroused ... there could well have been multiple punctures , made larger by shaking/pulling etc.

I know what happens when our dogs get a bunny or feral cat ..no they don't intentionally disembowel ..but it can happen quite easily.

I do hope the owner and dog are found ..but doubt this will happen.

I honestly can't understand how the owner of the aggressive dog could see what his dog did and do the bolt. How could he ignore the screams of Elfie and her owners? How could he overlook blood on the sand and all over his dog? How could he not be heartbroken by what his dog did to another? If a dog in my care did that it would change my life forever and that dog would've been taken straight to the vet and euthanised. I could not excuse or justify that attack in any kind of way, nor could I ever make it up to Elfie's family. How does that man sleep at night?

Poor Elfie and that poor child witnessing the horrific death of her beloved pet.

The owner of the dog that did the killing certainly does not appear to be a responsible dog owner in any way shape or form.

h

Edited by dogbesotted