Charles "charlie" Wentworth

W Sibs

Just in case people didn't know.. Charlie was given his wings earlier this week... here is the post I put up about it

See Ya Charlie

What I didn't write on the post was how he passed away and the story behind it. So here goes...

The past 2 weeks he was showing me signs that the disease he had (Gorham Disease or Bone Vanishing Disease - if you want to know more about it, just google it) was coming back. The disease was stable for a year but unfortunately it was coming back. He was restless and sore, but being the tough guy he is, it never stopped him from living his everyday life of lizards hunting, walking, play session or simply just living his everyday life. We were giving him metacam every single night to he can settle at night and sleep though. But I knew that it was nearly time. He was still all attitude but the spark he had his in eyes was slowly going away. He was tired.

It was Sunday night that he really let me know that it was back and he was in pain. We took him to sash straight away, they immediately gave him pain killers and we left him there overnight for pain management and xrays. It confirmed that the disease was back and it was back with a vengeance. So bad that he was basically paralysed. No bones in his pelvis area, his right back legs were useless and he could no longer use but the most heartbreaking and damaging news was that there was no bones left in his lower spine to protect his spinal cord. There was nothing anyone can do. No amount of painkillers he was on can ever manage his pain :( We all knew it was time.

On Monday afternoon, we decided to take him home. We planned to get the vets to come the next morning so he can be put down at home, but Charlie being Charlie, he had other plans. He came home and he did his last explore around the yard, checked all his lizard hunting spots and I fed him a big can of My Dog food (it's his favourite food in the world!), and we did our last family/pack walk down the street and back (it's something we do every single night before bedtime). That night, Charlie wouldn't settle and he was telling us that it was time. So we went back to sash about 11pm and we took Emmy and Skeeter with us, so he was surround by his family. The car ride there was peaceful.

No matter how sick this guy was, he was just attitude.. right to the very end. He wanted to walk into sash, so Richie put him down, held up his tail and Charlie walked into there with head held high and with all the attitude of 'I am here! Lets do this!'. They gave him more painkillers and he was stoned but even though he was stoned, he still managed to growl at Skeeter to settle down (which, of course Skeeter immediately do), and he wanted his last cuddle with me but he chose to pass away in Richie's arms (like he knew Richie needed it to happen in his arms).

His passing was peaceful. Emmy accepted the death very quickly. It took Skeeter longer, we let him smell the body and he spend a few minutes kissing his face and nudging Charlie to wake up, but when he realise that Charlie wasn't going to wake up he let out a whinge, and went to the door and let out a howl. Emmy and Skeeter wanted to leave the room (Richie took them to the car).

Richie, Emmy, Skeeter and I are doing ok. It's just a lot of sad. There is no guilt, anger, what ifs, doubt or anything... just sad. We had 4 amazing years together and we treasure everyday with him. People keep saying that he is lucky to have us in his life, but in all honestly, we were blessed to have him in our lives. He changed it completely and for the better. We are better people because of him.

Richie and I are in awe and bit overwhelm with everyone's reaction to this news.. it really means a lot with everyone condolences. So thank you so much. It really warmed our hearts and a big comfort to us that Charlie has touch other people's lives too.

4500917727_2500be928c_z.jpg

His infamous stink eye - attitude at 9 weeks old :p

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing the end of Charlie's story on earth with us. I don't go to the Rainbow Bridge forum - too tough - so I hadn't known that Charlie had, in his Charlie way, let yo know when it was time. What an amazingly special little dog - and what an amazingly special family he had, You guys continue to be an inspiration. :grouphug:

Guest LittleMissOdie

goodness your post had me in tears. Sounds like you gave him a good, loving home and that is worth ten lifetimes. My condolences to you :hug:

I have been reduced to a blubbering mess crying.gif He was an amazing little dog - his attitude to life was extraordinary. I may not have posted much but I so enjoyed reading about his antics and was impressed with how he and you all coped with his disease.

Thank you for sharing him with us.

I'm lost for words. Tears are flowing freely here. What a wonderful life you gave him right to the end. What a fabulous way to go, surrounded by all that you love

Take care W Sibs and thank you for sharing yours and Charlie's story.

Run free little man :angel:

Just switched on the iPad while I have a coffee and I saw W Sibs had started this thread. Truth be told, I cannot read it yet, because I know I will be reduced to tears.

Charlie has left a lot of sorrowing people behind, but he has left a legacy too. A memory for many of us as to what love and dedication can do. Against all odds, Charlie reached and celebrated his 4th birthday. Very few dogs with his disease would have managed that. He was one in a million with wonderful owners, Vi and Richard. Skeeter and Emmy have a lot to live up to, with a lot of loving to give and get.

God speed Charlie :love::love: