Raw Diet

Hi All

So after doing abit of research I have changed my girls diet to raw just wondering if what I am givin them enough nutrition wise

Their diet consists of

Chicken necks

Lamb and Beef hearts

Chicken and Lamb livers

Lamb and Beef kidneys

Chicken frames

Lamb shanks

I also am looking at adding in some fish oil as well as raw egg their meals are one day white one day red, also they do get so dry food of a night

I have also read that a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water 2 times a week can be good for them

Thoughts please

Edited by staffy2

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me (and I am sure someone more experienced will correct me if I am wrong) but that seems like a lot of offal = depending on how often you are giving it to her.

Zig is mainly raw fed. He is 27kg staffy cross (looks more like an amstaff) and he gets:

Breakfast: a chook carcass or half a cup of kibble with a tin of sardines in oil or a few chook necks or a turkey neck or a rack of ribs with about 3 or 4 ribs on it from a lamb.

Dinner is 100-150g roo meat or beef meat or a barf patty.

Other stuff he gets is his kong with 1/4 cup kibble and some cottage cheese (maybe once a week).

An egg a couple of times a week - the whole thing, shell and all - raw.

Training treats these days is usually some devon and or cheese.

When it is really hot, he gets a chook stock ice block.

Edited to add - I don't give him any offal (because he doesn't like it).

Edited by Staffyluv

staffy2 ..I bet they are loving the meat :)

Shank bones are not recommended these days , as the bones are very hard , and when they break, it is often into sharp /arrow head type pieces .Not ideal to be swallowed , in case of injury ...

You may like to read/skim thru this very extensive thread on RAW FEEDING :) Enjoy :p

staffy2 ..I bet they are loving the meat :)

Shank bones are not recommended these days , as the bones are very hard , and when they break, it is often into sharp /arrow head type pieces .Not ideal to be swallowed , in case of injury ...

You may like to read/skim thru this very extensive thread on RAW FEEDING :) Enjoy :p

Thanks for the tip on the shank bone and the link heading there now to have a read

Oh yeah, I forgot about weight bearing bones - we don't use them at all.. I did give Zig a couple of marrow bones but the way he crunched at them, I was worried about him breaking teeth.

So we use ribs and brisket bones.

Many years ago I used to feed lamb shanks, & they were 50 cents each.

So it was a very long time ago. Then a very experienced breeder advised

me never to feed weight bearing bones like shanks as they do splinter & can

cause serious problems internally. She advised Brisket bones. So have followed

her advice.

Edited by BC Crazy

Very high bone content considering you are also feeding dry -- chicken necks are up to 80% bone and chicken frames have very little meat on them too. Quite honestly if you're going to feed half and half I'd focus on adding proper meats in the diet instead of bone and offal as kibble already provides plenty of vitamins and minerals.

needs more muscle meat added, as others said that is a lot of offal. Beef, lamb, chicken minces or chunks, tripe (if you can get it). Some like to do a bone meal (carcass, wings, necks etc) and then a muscle meal with the extras - bit of offal, cottage cheese, oils, yoghurt, veg and fruit, eggs etc etc not all extras being added into each meal!

Hi there,

Why are you still feeding dry food? Anyone who does this is actually doing more harm than good. If you are going to feed dry then just feed dry. The gut environment needs to be quite different to effectively deal with the two different types of food and by feeding both the poor dog is unable to deal with either effectively.

Have a look at this article. The topic is related to cats but same principle applies:

http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-feed-raw-and-dry-at-the-same-time

I think a lot of people are nervous about raw feeding and go half half to try and hedge their bets. The reality is that you are not realizing the benefits of either diet by sitting on the fence.

I will find another specifically about dogs later.

Apart from cutting out the dry food I also suggest you add green tripe.

Good luck!

Cheers

Kirsty

My guys are fed raw, they get a chicken frame for dinner, and brekkie is a mix I make up in bulk and freeze. The mix contains 5kg of mince (usually a mix of beef and lamb, but more beef than lamb as one pug has a sensitivity to lamb so I only give small amounts at a time), two livers chopped, a few tins of sardines in oil, some carrots, zucchini and apples through the juicer (pulp only, not the juice).

And that mix lasts a month. There is no need to feed every single food, every single day. A raw diet is about balance over time.

I think the concept of not being able to feed both raw and dry is hogwash personally.

I feed cooked raw these days. One of mine cannot tolerate raw meat as well as others so we cook it. I also add a variety of vegetables and they get sardines, egg, yoghurt and other little treats separately.

needs more muscle meat added, as others said that is a lot of offal. Beef, lamb, chicken minces or chunks, tripe (if you can get it). Some like to do a bone meal (carcass, wings, necks etc) and then a muscle meal with the extras - bit of offal, cottage cheese, oils, yoghurt, veg and fruit, eggs etc etc not all extras being added into each meal!

Heart is considered muscle meat rather than offal.

Just added beef mince this morning

Was up at 7 am and found it at a butcher for 3.99 per kilo came home and mixed it up with raw egg and ground down the shell

Thanks for all your advice :)

Was up at 7 am and found it at a butcher for 3.99 per kilo came home and mixed it up with raw egg and ground down the shell

With raw egg...don't feed the egg white :) OK if it's cooked.

As for the person who advocates not feeding raw & kibble.....I think that is probably a lot of hogwash, but I am no rocket scientist so how would I know, except that my two BC's are fed a mixture of raw & kibble & really...the proof is in the pudding :laugh: If you can get your guy whole meat ie steaks etc it will be much better for his teeth than mince. IMO

With raw egg...don't feed the egg white :) OK if it's cooked.

As for the person who advocates not feeding raw & kibble.....I think that is probably a lot of hogwash, but I am no rocket scientist so how would I know, except that my two BC's are fed a mixture of raw & kibble & really...the proof is in the pudding :laugh: If you can get your guy whole meat ie steaks etc it will be much better for his teeth than mince. IMO

Whole eggs are fine - don't feed just the yolk or just the white - feed the whole egg.

The "don't feed raw whites" comes about as you shouldn't feed whites on their own, but whites and yolks together are fine.

Whole eggs are fine - don't feed just the yolk or just the white - feed the whole egg.

The "don't feed raw whites" comes about as you shouldn't feed whites on their own, but whites and yolks together are fine.

egg white depletes the body of biotin, but egg yolk has biotin in abundance! Whole eggs are fine. I've been feeding them to my dogs for many, many years.

I also feed two meals a day. One of minced chicken carcass's and one of dry food. Sometimes it's all raw for a while, sometimes all dry for a while, bits of this and bits of that. Only vegies my dogs ever get are raw carrots for chew toys and the odd amount of left overs. And they love a feed of warm porridge in the cold winter mornings. :D

egg white depletes the body of biotin, but egg yolk has biotin in abundance! Whole eggs are fine. I've been feeding them to my dogs for many, many years.

I also feed two meals a day. One of minced chicken carcass's and one of dry food. Sometimes it's all raw for a while, sometimes all dry for a while, bits of this and bits of that. Only vegies my dogs ever get are raw carrots for chew toys and the odd amount of left overs. And they love a feed of warm porridge in the cold winter mornings. :D

So is there any benefit in feeding the egg white. :confused: I always thought that if you just fed the yolk, then the dog would get more benefit than if fed it with the white...I know it is a bit more fiddly to seperate the two, but I would have thought that just feeding the yolk would be more nutritious. My dogs wont eat the shell, unless it is put through a food processer.

I just give Miah the yellow yolk part every once in a while with her other raw food. I bought a egg separator very cheaply recently from an op shop. Its not that fiddly to use. :) I also add some of the cracked shell into it.

Sometimes all the cavs get cooked scrambled eggs as a treat :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs