Quality Indoor Dog Bed

Whiskered

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for a high quality indoor dog bed for a tall dog around 50kgs. There are so many to choose from for smaller dogs but a real paucity for large dogs.

Being such a big dog, I'm looking for something with plenty of padding to support his weight properly. I'd also like it to have built up sides and to have a design that isn't gaudy.

I haven't had much success in my hunt so far but the best ones I've found are these beds: My link.

I don't think any retailers in Australia stock them but I'm happy to freight in if I need to. Has anyone used these beds or does anyone have any good suggestions for alternatives?

Many thanks :)

I have no idea where I got the idea from, but it has been suggested to me to instead of spending hundreds of dollars buying beds for my 4 idiots, to buy them a cheap old couch off ebay or gumtree etc. When it gets worn out, replace :)

I looked into getting mine cut-down futon mattresses, I figured half a single size bed would do for a bed for each of them, but found out it would be cheaper to buy whole mattresses.

I second the cot mattresses. I wrap them in plastic, get a set of cot mattress sheets and put the flat sheet on the bottom and the fitted one on the top. Keeps it all cleaner. Then just add a blanket or similar. You can usually get plenty of free cot mattresses on freecycle.

Hi Whiskered!

We have just bought a bed from Hey Pup. We had a chance to look at these at the Pets in the Park day in Malvern a couple of months ago and were impressed. They are a bit expensive but our 40kg baby has plenty of room and I reckon it's comfy enough that I could sleep on there! :)

Thanks so much for all your replies everyone :)

Cost isn't an issue - I'm more than happy to invest in an expensive bed if the quality is there. The rectangular mattress type beds are great and he has two of them already but he loves to lay with his back against the wall if he can so I'd like to find something with high/bolstered type sides. That way it'll be more comfy for him and mean I don't have to clean the giant schnauzer sized patches of discolouration off my white walls quite so regularly!

I went to Clark Rubber and bought two cut bits of medium density foam [about a meter squared each] came home made covers to fit and have one on the floor in the family room and the other on the floor in my bedroom. The covers were made from old chenille throw blankets - easy to take off and wash when needed. Can't complain only cost $20 for the foam :D They're still going strong 5 or so years later.

My two love curling up in their custom made dog beds. I had my dad help me make them. Just make a box out of wood from bunnings. For the mattress, I purchased a Snooza D1000 small size and made the box to fit it -- most websites have the Snooza's dimensions so it was easy to build the box to have it fit.

The Snooza fits perfectly and Zeus loves it!! :thumbsup:

For indoors, our dogs have their own couch and couch futon (opened out into a bed).

I was thinking for you, if you had a 2 or 2.5 seater couch for him, it will be comfortable, have a back rest if he wants to lean up against it, easy to get on and off being higher (better for the joints than something on the ground), will not clash with décor if you can get something that goes with everything.

The 2.5 seater we have can comfortably lay 1 or 2 of our 40-50kg Rottis. They move from either the that couch to the futon, whichever suits at the time. The couch is cord fabric (which is not so trendy now) but it is around 10 years old, dark green, so doesn't really show the dirt. Hair vacs or wipes off easily and we spray it weekly with a disinfectant/deodorizer spray. It has absolutely no blemishes and looks brand new other than a bit of grimy dirty sections that would dry clean off, so it just blends in with the rest of our furniture. We use the single seaters for ourselves.

This 2.5 seater also fits in our bedroom for when we have had the dogs sleeping in there, but usually we just use a crate for that now.

Our plan is to just throw the couch out when we have had enough of it or it walks out on it's own, LOL.

The futon couch laid out as a bed, we put a fitted sheet over the huge cushion and wash it once or twice a week as needed and also spray the cushion regularly.

I am sort of over dog beds a bit. I just find I spend a lot of money on them and they don't last and I get disappointed. Padded thins, covers get torn or zippers break or they are just too hard to wash.

Hope you find something you are happy with. :)

We have a bed from Lyrebird Furniture.. Apparently I got a little over-excited with the size but Foxy seems ok with that lol

http://www.lyrebirdpetfurniture.net/beds.html

563430_584408954919917_835769508_n.jpg

Foxy is close to 30 kg but I'm sure they can make it as large as you need. We bought a size XL for $190 + $90 for the pillow (which is very thick and well stuffed). I bought a bunch of cheap doona cover sets to use as "pillow cases" so I can wash them regularly lol

ETA: They are also very sturdy, as you can see ours holds about 90kg without issue ;)

bed3l.jpg

Edited by BlackJaq

We have a bed from Lyrebird Furniture.. Apparently I got a little over-excited with the size but Foxy seems ok with that lol

http://www.lyrebirdpetfurniture.net/beds.html

563430_584408954919917_835769508_n.jpg

Foxy is close to 30 kg but I'm sure they can make it as large as you need. We bought a size XL for $190 + $90 for the pillow (which is very thick and well stuffed). I bought a bunch of cheap doona cover sets to use as "pillow cases" so I can wash them regularly lol

ETA: They are also very sturdy, as you can see ours holds about 90kg without issue ;)

bed3l.jpg

Nice BlackJaq :thumbsup:

I have one of these that my pugs share. They come in sizes up to xlarge. I like that they are washable and durable. It has soft sides that hold their shape and a removable cushion with a washable cover inside it. I purchased a couple of extra cushions with covers, one in a faux lambswool and the other two with a cotton cover. I have had it now for 2 yeas and despite weekly washing of the cushions and monthly of the external bit it is still going strong.

post-3413-0-75783200-1366190779_thumb.jpg