What Is The Cheapest Quality Dry Food?

Never heard of Kirkland brand before but a quick review tells me thsi is good stuff!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-dog-food/

I'll be interested to grab one. Especially from Costco where you buy things really cheaply in bulk (how can it not be bulk for a Labrador?!)

That review is totally weird, and I'd be questioning his opinions of a lot of those fillers and ingredients!

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1031&cat=all

The dogfoodanalysis has a review date of 2007. Whereas dogfoodadvisor is 2012! Besides, one uses the adult formula and the other uses the small puppy formula. Not quite apple-to-apple.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of Kirkland brand before but a quick review tells me thsi is good stuff!

I'll be interested to grab one. Especially from Costco where you buy things really cheaply in bulk (how can it not be bulk for a Labrador?!)

That review is totally weird, and I'd be questioning his opinions of a lot of those fillers and ingredients!

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1031&cat=all

The dogfoodanalysis has a review date of 2007. Whereas dogfoodadvisor is 2012! Besides, one uses the adult formula and the other uses the small puppy formula. Not quite apple-to-apple.

They still use the same fillers, which is the bulk of the food.

This can easily turn into a religious debate so let's all just beware!

Jess, my girlfriend has a black Lab and feeds her Kirkland kibble but supplements her diet with eggs and sardines. She's more critical than I am with food content and she absolutely swears by Kirkland. She has compared other brands in detail and when she discovered Kirkland couldn't believe the price tag. She immediately bought 4 large bags when it went on sale. LOL...

canidae has a 20kg bag for $100.

20kg should last an adult lab with moderate excercise 80 days.

with working out costs on dry dog food it's good to look at how much of the food you have to feed a day, some of the cheaper ones you may end up feeding 4-6 cups a day vs 2-3 cups for food with less fillers

Hi sunny1shine, I don't work for Costco and without wanting to sound too over zealous about Kirkland this is the last I'd post on the matter.

As I have mentioned, Kirkland isn't really "cheaper stuff" sort of dog food. Yes it is cheap, but as I've mentioned time and again, the content is at par with those costing $100+, hence why my gf could not believe that it costs less than $50 for a bag. I know some people trust products purely on price alone without doing some research. I'm not saying that your choice, for example, is bad... it may well be the best dog food around but I'm saying people shouldn't judge Kirkland strictly because it's cheap.

She also only used to feed her dog Pro Plan and Royal Canin before Kirkland.

Edited by ziggyboy

Hi sunny1shine, I don't work for Costco and without wanting to sound too over zealous about Kirkland this is the last I'd post on the matter.

As I have mentioned, Kirkland isn't really "cheaper stuff" sort of dog food. Yes it is cheap, but as I've mentioned time and again, the content is at par with those costing $100+, hence why my gf could not believe that it costs less than $50 for a bag. I know some people trust products purely on price alone without doing some research. I'm not saying that your choice, for example, is bad... it may well be the best dog food around but I'm saying people shouldn't judge Kirkland strictly because it's cheap.

I use to feed Pro Plan to my lot as well but have moved to Kirklands. I've been very happy ever since.

In the end it's about what your dog does well on.

I use to have an ABPT who would never put on weight, looked awful. I fed him every kind of high end food and nothing worked. The only food he did well on was (of all things) Pal. So don't be too quick to dismiss the cheaper foods.

I use to feed Pro Plan to my lot as well but have moved to Kirklands. I've been very happy ever since.

In the end it's about what your dog does well on.

I use to have an ABPT who would never put on weight, looked awful. I fed him every kind of high end food and nothing worked. The only food he did well on was (of all things) Pal. So don't be too quick to dismiss the cheaper foods.

Yes I agree. Before I started feeding the VIP I also tried all the top shelf kibble but the only food that didn't give Stan the runs was Supercoat. I am so glad I have found a kibble that is reasonably priced, easily sourced and my two do brilliantly on.

with working out costs on dry dog food it's good to look at how much of the food you have to feed a day, some of the cheaper ones you may end up feeding 4-6 cups a day vs 2-3 cups for food with less fillers

I've been feeding mostly Canidae to my dog. So in many ways I like that food. And you're right. Some dog food requires a lot more cups. I think Canidae is the one that requires a bit less judging from the high protein content.

I know Beet Bulp in Kirkland is a controversial ingredient and may cause problems, but heck, this is a common ingredient in Royal Canin, Iams, Holistic Select, Sc Diet and Eukanabe to name few highly commercially advertised products. It's not common to see dogs seriously harmed by them? And reviews seems to indicate that Kirkland is equivalent or better than these with a shocking low price of $50 for 18Kg. Man, I can't wait to try....

And it's probably cheap because Costco has super global buying power. There's no such pet shop with such buying power. I bet Artemis premium price will drop significantly if they got signed up by Costco :)

Edited by Jess the Lab

hey ziggy, my comment wasn't to judge kirkland,I wasnt even looking at the posts on kirkland, so was more a reminder to compare how many days worth of food the OP gets from a bag rather than just cost per kg of food.

Pailin if you have a Costco near you there is a food, Kirklands All Natural or Natural Selection (or something similar it's in a blue bag with a Sibe on it) that is grain free and about $40 for 15 kilo.

My dogs love it and have been doing great on it.

Kirkland stuff is often recalled for various reasons and the treats were linked if I remember correctly to some illnesses in pets, I'd be very careful with it.

Very happy with Optimum here. It's often on special at our local Pet barn too :thumbsup:

Minimum poo output and Luka is doing great on it.

The other 2 are on Uncle Albers and have been for years, It's the only dry food my fussy Husky will touch.

They do all get raw for breakfast though.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think the easiest for me will be the VIP. Something I can buy in the local supermarket, affordable and quality. Ticks all the boxes and I had never heard of it before. From what I have read there is a bigger bag (7kg I think?) but I have not come across it yet.

I do like the Canidae (price for money and quality) and I think it would be my choice if I was feeding more kibble but she is on a predominantly raw diet and I am just looking for a kibble for 1 (or 2, tops) days per week and sometimes not even that.

You could look at the Natures Gift kibble. It is a semi moist kibble. It does have some wheat in it to bind the kibble together.

I like the Purina One kibble. My dogs have always done well on it. Can only find the small dog variety at the moment which is weird.

Had no issues with VIP but reckon coats are a bit better on Purina One.

There is a kibble in Coles too that isn't too bad. One of their lines. Can't remember the name.

I think the easiest for me will be the VIP. Something I can buy in the local supermarket, affordable and quality. Ticks all the boxes and I had never heard of it before. From what I have read there is a bigger bag (7kg I think?) but I have not come across it yet.

I do like the Canidae (price for money and quality) and I think it would be my choice if I was feeding more kibble but she is on a predominantly raw diet and I am just looking for a kibble for 1 (or 2, tops) days per week and sometimes not even that.

Heh Pailin,

I'm glad you decided on of the many suggestions to try. Might be a good idea to close this topic given we are aggressively opinionated when it comes to food!

Heh Pailin,

I'm glad you decided on of the many suggestions to try. Might be a good idea to close this topic given we are aggressively opinionated when it comes to food!

Nothing aggressive or opinionated about this thread JTL, this one's mild :) The VIP is working for us Pailin, hope it works for you. We have just gotten the 7kg bag at Woolies recently so hopefully will turn up in your local Woolies/Safeway soon.

Oh wow where are you getting your Canidae? The cheapest I can find is 13kg for $113.

edit: noticed the grain-free formula's dearer!

Edited by mel_

Oh wow where are you getting your Canidae? The cheapest I can find is 13kg for $113.

$89.95 for 13.6 KG grain free. Free delivery if you're in Victoria!

http://www.robbospetbarn.com.au/products/c-362/DOGS/FOOD/SUPER-PREMIUM/CANIDAE/GRAIN-FREE.aspx

$99.95 for 20KG with grain. Free delivery if you're in Victoria!

http://www.robbospetbarn.com.au/products/c-153/DOGS/FOOD/SUPER-PREMIUM/CANIDAE/CANIDAE-DRY.aspx

$89.95 for 13.6 KG grain free. Free delivery if you're in Victoria!

http://www.robbospetbarn.com.au/products/c-362/DOGS/FOOD/SUPER-PREMIUM/CANIDAE/GRAIN-FREE.aspx

$99.95 for 20KG with grain. Free delivery if you're in Victoria!

http://www.robbospetbarn.com.au/products/c-153/DOGS/FOOD/SUPER-PREMIUM/CANIDAE/CANIDAE-DRY.aspx

Thanks! :D

I am not using VIP because of the cost factor. I am using it because when I compare the ingredients with the so called "premium kibbles" it compares well. That and the fact it is so readily available. I found Taste of the Wild good as well but such a pain to source.