Non-shedding Dogs

Obviously I love love love poodles. I never ever think about shedding!!! Is great....I have house cats that drop more coat than my 5 stds!! The stds are all in the house and outside...they bring the dirt in, which is more I'd a prob for me.

My show dogs get brushed and bathed weekly, but my others are all clipped down short. I honestly don't groom them each week....but rather a day every 4-6weeks the 3 get groomed washed and trimmed. They are very wash and wear dogs!!! Love it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riverstar - trust me your own hair is no where near as bad as a GSDs hair! LOL although it is my waist length hair that ties up the dyson rotating head

We had a few weeks in this house without the dogs and it was super clean despite lots of unpacking, foot traffic and no vacuuming.

One day with the dogs here and amongst all the dog hair there were also smudgy foot prints and drips from tongues and noses everywhere LOL

For some reason it doesn't bother me as much on carpet.. and as far as my car goes it saves me having to offer lifts because only the driver seat is hair free hehehehe

I don't want to think about my next dog too much (if there even is one) but a large size non-shedder would be a key requirement this time round.

I will never have another pug for the same reason - it is like labrador coat and they do get that doggy smell. Sid doesn't drop much coat at all, it's a single coat and he never gets doggy.

I agree. They are a smelly kind of dog. Most people disagree with me when I say that but to me they have a strong dog odour when in comparison to many other breeds. This is the first time in a long while that i have witnessed someone who thinks the same.

After a life time of pugs, I'm opting for a non shedding breed next... assuming there is a next. I'd even look at a non shedding breed of cat. I love my pugs and I can talk about the wonders of them forever but I am so. over. the. hair.

My house is dog friendly. It's all wood floors, I have an auto vacuum, the dogs aren't allowed on the lounge but the hair is still everywhere. :laugh:

I wash their beds weekly and run the covers through the drier but I cannot get the hair off the so they always look dirty to me.

Just go a black, they don't shed nearly as much :D

:laugh: I've had my share of black rescues although I confess to never owning a black pug. I still think the black rescues shed a lot and it was strange seeing their hair everywhere as I am used to fawn predominantly!

Edited by ~Anne~

My Doberman and JRT (smooth) shed a lot. Hair everywhere! I have a small fluffy who doesn't shed at all but he gets clipped every 6 weeks or so. I don't brush him in between grooms but they all get bathed weekly (I am a groomer so can do it all myself). My Bulldog doesn't shed too badly and that's just another reason why ill be sticking with that breed from now on.

I had two long haired cats in the past. No amount of grooming stopped the hair sticking to EVERYTHING. I will never own a shedding animal again! (She says now...)

Everybody has preferences, nothing wrong with that.

I find I have to be careful about coats, I'm not 'properly' allergic to dogs or cats but my existing allergies can get very irritated by loose hair. There are days where I struggle with my cat and when I visit a friend with a lab I usually feel like I've used a whole tissue box.

This is why I will always meet the breeds I'm interested in, preferably in large numbers and for a long time :laugh:

I could less about hair in the house and car. Much more important I get a dog/breed I want to live with. I can't ever see myself with a coated breed, too much work for me.

I also have cats, so dog hair or cat hair, I don't care. :D

I'm the OP in the other thread so will answer here too :)

As you might gather from my login name here, my heart really belongs to the JRT. I lost my beloved old girl just a few weeks ago and am helping myself to deal with her loss here. We aren't in a hurry to get another dog, but I want to be well researched when we do. I recognise that a JRT is perhaps not the best choice for toddlers so am looking at my options.

Frankly, I find dog hair in the house to be pretty offensive. I'm house proud and don't like seeing little tufts sitting in the corner and having to sweep every day to keep on top of it. My JRT was a short hair and did shed more than is my ideal, but my hubby's old lab/golden mix shed like nobody's business. If there was a cobweb anywhere, indoors or out, it was full of dog hair. The screen doors were caked in it. The pot plants were full of it. It drove me insane frankly, and I'd rather take care of the coat of a dog than feel disgusted at hair everywhere all the time.

I know many people don't mind it, but it bothers me. Each to their own :)

Are you suggesting that people with shedding dogs are not house proud?

Seriously, if your first criteria for a dog is that it shouldn't shed please get a stuffed toy and stay away from real dogs. My breeds, for one, should not be in the hands of the 'house proud' because you'll find that you'll instead spend all of your time cleaning up the leaves and sticks they bring in on their non-shedding coats. I spend a lot of time cleaning up after my dogs and it's not because of the hair.

I'm the OP in the other thread so will answer here too :)

As you might gather from my login name here, my heart really belongs to the JRT. I lost my beloved old girl just a few weeks ago and am helping myself to deal with her loss here. We aren't in a hurry to get another dog, but I want to be well researched when we do. I recognise that a JRT is perhaps not the best choice for toddlers so am looking at my options.

Frankly, I find dog hair in the house to be pretty offensive. I'm house proud and don't like seeing little tufts sitting in the corner and having to sweep every day to keep on top of it. My JRT was a short hair and did shed more than is my ideal, but my hubby's old lab/golden mix shed like nobody's business. If there was a cobweb anywhere, indoors or out, it was full of dog hair. The screen doors were caked in it. The pot plants were full of it. It drove me insane frankly, and I'd rather take care of the coat of a dog than feel disgusted at hair everywhere all the time.

I know many people don't mind it, but it bothers me. Each to their own :)

Are you suggesting that people with shedding dogs are not house proud?

Seriously, if your first criteria for a dog is that it shouldn't shed please get a stuffed toy and stay away from real dogs. My breeds, for one, should not be in the hands of the 'house proud' because you'll find that you'll instead spend all of your time cleaning up the leaves and sticks they bring in on their non-shedding coats. I spend a lot of time cleaning up after my dogs and it's not because of the hair.

Exactly, non-shedding dogs are still dogs. They still play and get dirty and carry in dirt and mud and grass and whatever charming creatures they've decided to play with in the yard and proudly show off to you. Honestly, hair is probably the least of what I pick up after my dogs, the majority is grass and sticks and flowers and dirt and plants they've dug up.

Edited by minimax

My Airedale doesn't seem to drop hair, but he definitely brings in lots of leaves , sticks, flowers and buds.  My approach is that the next house should have no trees.  :D Fluffy cats create more hair mess than my dogs do.

Edited by Cat

After owning "non shedding" breeds for 40 years we got ourselves a JRT x from the pound based on personality alone - we weren't looking for another non shedding dog, just one that would fit in best with our pack.

I have NEVER spend soooooo much time grooming a dog :eek: I brush her every day to try and minimise the shedding. We have a furminator which we use regularly on her and STILL so much hair just falls off her - you can see it flying off her when she runs around!!

With the poodles we regularly take them to the groomers every 8 weeks. Maybe they get one brush each within that time frame if they get a knot, and maybe a wash if we've been camping or something, but nothing like the maintenance I'm doing with the JRT.

We're slowly getting used to the fact that dog hair is just a major part of our lives now.....

I could less about hair in the house and car. Much more important I get a dog/breed I want to live with.

This is my point about preferences. Some of us want to live with a dog that doesn't shed.

I don't mind mud, leaves, etc... but hair around the house makes MY hair stand on end.

What's so wrong about knowing what you want, why should we justify it? :shrug:

What's so wrong about knowing what you want, why should we justify it?

Agreed. If it is important and means the difference between the dog being inside following you around or not coming inside as much then choose what you are happy with so you and the dog have the best lives you can.

I had a British Shorthair cat, as much as I loved him I will NEVER have another one due to the massive amount of hair they have and lose. I am not a really house proud person as such but having that much hair around got to me.

I have breeds I love come into the kennels and as much as I love them I couldn't cope with that much hair in my house so I wouldn't own one as it wouldn't come inside as much as I would like. I now have Sphynx cats and Whippets along with a shorthair Border Collie - hmmm theme happening there :)I I would have a non-shedding breed I could groom before I would have a breed that took shedding very seriously.

I could less about hair in the house and car. Much more important I get a dog/breed I want to live with.

This is my point about preferences. Some of us want to live with a dog that doesn't shed.

I don't mind mud, leaves, etc... but hair around the house makes MY hair stand on end.

Because that seems to be the criteria - a non-shedding dog. Anything else, like breed characteristics and owner capabilities never seem to come into it. Anyone who lists their first criteria as a non-shedding dog will never get a recommendation from me aside from this sort.

why pick on my post :confused: who asked you to justify anything :confused: I was responding to the OP.

To many it is one on a list of prefences, and yes a low shedding coat was part of mine and a good part of why out of my three shortlisted breeds I decided on Whippets - apart from many other things I liked about them.

Edited by OSoSwift

I LOVE a non shedding dog = clean house/clean car/clean furniture = not so much vaccuming

I owned a long coated GSD and vaccumed almost daily for 14 years and he was brushed daily :eek: . As much as I adored him - the shedding drove me crazy. Gotta love a Schnauzer :thumbsup:

as for non shedding it does seem to depend on what you read

with my last litter I had an enquiry for a pup from a school teacher, in fact she told me she was the principal of her school. Her research led her to believe greyhounds were non - low shedding. I just laughed and asked who told her that? It was something she read on the internet, one of those what breed would suit me. Needless to say she didn't get a pup from me ( for other reasons as well ). The really sad thing was she didn't believe me when I said they shed heaps, she practically said outright " I'm a principal and I know what I read ".

Edited by Rebanne

why pick on my post :confused: who asked you to justify anything :confused: I was responding to the OP.

Sorry Rebanne, only the first line was in response to your post, as it sort of supports the point I was trying to make.

The other two lines are in response to the thread in general. I'm not picking on anyone, as far as nobody is picking on us non-shed-lovers :laugh: I'm sorry it came across that way.

Edited by Melina Bea

Sorry Rebanne, only the first line was in response to your post, as it sort of supports the point I was trying to make.

The other two lines are in response to the thread in general. I'm not picking on anyone, as far as nobody is picking on us non-shed-lovers :laugh: I'm sorry it came across that way.

Just to point out: I am. See previous posts.