Dog Biting Child

doggleworth

I would PTS as well. Maybe get your husband to mind your baby, take him to his favourite park, feed him his favourite food and then take him to the vets. It isn't a punishment, but if you look at it from his side he is insecure and lashing out, and that can't be nice for him either.

My dogs are my first babies too, but if they bit my daughter or another child they would be PTS. It's something I personally will not tolerate and I wouldn't feel comfortable rehoming in that instance.

Big hugs, I feel for you :hug:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear this happened.

I think you've answered your own question when you say you can't trust your dog now.

I would feel the same way.

Unprovoked, multiple bites to face when this happenned +growling and lip-curling over months, now?

I'm a parent, too, and I'm not sure how you can achieve separating dog and child 100% of the time with 100% supervision.

Unless you're superhuman :)

My dog has nipped my child e.g. when spun around by the leash by child- I was watching, but too slow to intervene.

Silly thing to do by child who is normally more sensible.

As you say, these situations happen SO quickly!

You know what to do.

Your child has to come first, regardless of how much you love your dog.

Best wishes.

I sympathise with you a lot. The same thing happened to my parents' first dog Brutus. He was bought after mum had suffered a few miscarriages and needed the live and company of a dog. Eventually the five of us kids arrived and Brutus kept getting shunted down the hierarchy and started getting cranky and aggressive.

Mum couldn't let us outside until Brutus was locked in the garage and when my second oldest brother was about 3, Brutus attacked him and he required a lot of stitches to his face. Brutus should've been PTS there and then but dad was against it.

We kept him until he was 12 and by this stage he was very, VERY aggressive towards us, in a lot of pain being very arthritic and mum couldn't even get us in and out of the car. Mum really regrets not giving Brutus his wings once my brother was bitten, but they didn't really know any better when it came to dogs.

I am so sorry you're faced with this decision, but it does sound like your poor dog isn't coping with the arrival of your child. Only you can make this decision but I thought if share my story to let you know this has happened to others so you're not alone. :hug:

:(

Just me: I'd get a professional to advise in person. Even a heart-to-heart with his regular vet. Dol is good but is limited to online.

I say this because the decision to PTS a dog you've had for 10yrs will affect you deeply and is not something easily done on your own.

Normally I would agree powerlegs especially if the child was older, then the child could collude with you to follow a behaviourist's program.

But life with a 9 month old is exhausting at the best of times. To add a behavioural program of such serious importance, such serious consequences for failure, in addition to relatively new motherhood would be a very hard call indeed.

There is always the behaviourist option, but given your situation - concerned as you are with the time and energy demands of a little baby, I really think you are making the right decision to pts.

Edited by Wobbly

I have to say after seeing the second part of your story that I would be euthanasing. It will be very stressful to try and keep them apart, the dog obviously does not like your baby. Your baby is very lucky that his injuries were not more serious.

I realy feel for you. IT is such a hard situation to be in and no matter how many people tell you you are doing the right thing you will second guess yourslef and feel terrible.

In the same situation I would euthanase.

This.

I love my dog dearly but put in the same situation as you have described, I too would euthanase.

I'm sorry you are going through this, it's a heartbreaking thing to deal with. I hope your baby heals well from the bite.

:(

How many other dogs do you have?

If you decide to PTS this dog, then you need a veterinary behaviourist consultation on how to manage the other dogs with your child.

You cannot keep dogs separate from children, in the same home, indefinitely. You must help your other dogs integrate safely with the baby as well, not just assume they will be OK.

No-one here should be giving you advice on whether or not to PTS your dog, that's between you and your trusted vet.

We have 2 dogs. The other dog has not displayed any signs of aggression.

Before we had our baby (7-8 months before) we modified the access the dogs had to the loungeroom on the advice of a vet behaviourist about minimising the impact on our dogs and getting them to accept the new member of our household. The plan they put in place with us removed the dogs access to the loungeroom but they were still allowed inside and had access to other parts of the house. We walked them with the baby every day as advised, introduced them to him, let them get used to his smell before we brought him home. I made a huge fuss of them when I came home, and have always made sure they were patted, well taken care of, and got plenty of play time and attention. The baby was not allowed in "their space" on advice so he didn't go near their softbeds or crates.

One dog responded really well to this, the other dog just didn't. We were told to limit his interactions with the baby and give him plenty of one on one time with one of us which we did. We have really tried hard. We didn't want to be the people who got rid of their dogs when they had a baby. It is devastating to us that despite working at this our dog took the opportunity to bite.

It really sounds like you have done your very best. I am so sorry to hear of this situation.

All I can suggest is to give it a few days and see how you feel. There is a slight possibility that the dog in question may realise that it has made a grave error. I don't know, but discuss this with your vet and see what he/she says.

Please let us know, is your baby boy ok?

I am so sorry to read this, what a hard position it puts you in :( I am not a mother so can't even fully comprehend what you would be experiencing, but I do think it would be best for your son, your number one priority, if the dog was euthanized. I'm sorry x :(

Very sorry for the situation you're in. I can't imagine how I'd feel if it were me. But I think the decision to PTS your dog is the right one and I don't think anyone here would judge you on that considering the circumstances.

I really hope your baby is OK.

I don't have children however there is no way I would have a dog that couldn't be trusted with all non-threatening people, especially children.

From what you have described this really was unprovoked and for me there is only one answer to an unprovoked bite. It's horrible and it's not the dog's fault (as someone has said, it's not "punishment"), but for your own peace of mind and the welfare of your child there really is only one thing I would be doing in this situation.

Your dog could easily live for another 5 to 6 years - trying to keep him permanently separated from a two or three year old toddler is hardly going to be a good life for yourself, your child or the dog.

I'm sure the dog must hate the situation too - and he probably feels how upset and confused you are right now which is likely to make him more upset too.

This is one of the worst things about owning dogs - doing what is best for yourself and the dog. :hug: