Blind Man's Plea To Dog Owners

korbin13

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/blind-mans-plea-to-owners-to-curb-menacing-mutts-after-guide-dog-attack/story-fnii5smr-1226668099839

THE owners of menacing mutts are risking the lives of blind people and their guide dogs by letting their pets roam free.

Brent Franklin, who has been blind since birth, was almost knocked off his feet when an unrestrained Jack Russell lunged at his seeing eye dog, Yorick, while walking near his Pakenham home on Friday.

When Mr Franklin, 42, asked the owner where his dog's lead was, the man fired back with "it's a f------ park" and stormed off.

Mr Franklin said such incidents happen all the time.

"The problem is the incidences are increasing," he said.

Mr Franklin recalled terrifying and distressing encounters with wayward pooches, including once when Yorick was pinned to the ground.

Another time Mr Franklin was left in the middle of the road trying to shoo away a big dog that had escaped its elderly owner's clutches.

"When you can't see, you don't know what type of dog it is, if it's friendly or a threat, let alone if the owner is nearby and how they are going to react," he said.

He urged people to show basic respect by keeping their dogs on a lead and owning only breeds they could control.

He also discouraged pet owners from letting their animals approach specially trained seeing dogs.

"Our dogs have a lot to concentrate on," he said.

"They have to guide us around safely and these incidences are off-putting to them."

Last year, a guide dog died after being hit by a car while running away from a pack of pitbulls that had mauled it.

Seeing Eye Dogs Australia national client services manager Harry Vanderjagt said such encounters create problems for the guide dog's future. Some dogs have lost focus and have had to be sacked.

"These encounters are very distressing to both the client and the SED," he said.

It costs about $30,000 to breed, train and place each guide dog.

I must admit that I am a bit shocked at the dog owner's response to Mr Franklin when he asked where the dogs lead was :confused:

Guest Wildthing

I have got to the stage that very little surprises me these days. People are so selfish and think it is perfectly acceptable to allow their dogs (and children) to do whatever they want. To me, it does not matter if it is a park that is deemed off leash, the owner should have been aware of where his dog was and had total control of it at all times. I have the greatest respect for SED's and the enormous amount of money it takes to train just one dog.

I'm not surprised at the response from the dog owner :mad sadly people are so rude these days. It's really not good enough though.

Yes, I was threatened by an owner on Christmas Day when I politely asked him to please put his dog's lead on. Dog was huge and had charged me and my little dogs with no attempt from the owner to control it - it was terrifying at the time.

I'm not surprised at the response from the dog owner :mad sadly people are so rude these days. It's really not good enough though.

Yes, I was threatened by an owner on Christmas Day when I politely asked him to please put his dog's lead on. Dog was huge and had charged me and my little dogs with no attempt from the owner to control it - it was terrifying at the time.

This is a whole new ball game when you are talking about someone SED! Not to devalue your experience but I think most people would be extra careful around someone with a SED. I would even cross the road if I saw one and I had my dog!

At least you weren't visually impaired like this poor man. The fact that he was nearly knocked off his feet by a little unrestrained dog, would have been horrifying for him. Just shows that there are moron owners of all size dogs.

If you have no control over your dogs, whether big or small, keep them on lead.

Years ago one of the locals around here had his gorgeous old sed attacked by a couple of dogs, it had severe injuries and was forced to retire. Poor man was devastated so was our whole community. He did end up getting another one but I imagine it would make you paranoid just leaving the house.

• 4 weeks later...

On the other side of the fence I was walking Gus past the train station here the other day, on lead and he was being uncharacteristically focused on behaving and we heard a yell and a 'GET BACK HERE' only to look behind us and see a seeing eye dog tearing off across the road after us to play with Gus! I grabbed his/her little handle and took her back to where the woman was still sitting calling him and apologised (no idea why, it felt like it should have been our fault?) and the seemingly visually impaired woman with him said 'oh never mind, he's pretty spirited, he does that sometimes'

:eek:

A seeing eye dog lunged and snapped at my on leash border collie as we passed on a footpath.. I was too shocked to say anything. Maybe I should have because next few times I saw the visually impaired guy around he was sans dog, so I guess something happened. A good reminder that despite their training, they are dogs!

I've had a dog attacked by a Guide dog too! :eek: This is going back a lot of years, but I was mortified and embarrassed. It happened on a crowded street, I had my dog heeling next to me quite close and the Guide dog lunged across and grabbed him. Made an awful noise, no damage done. But no one believed me! It was awful.

I actually thought that it was a rare thing. I've not really told anyone about it, because the usual reaction is..."That's impossible, it's a GUIDE dog. They are trained." Well, I thought so too, till it happened.

I have never come across a guide dog while I had my dog but I have always thought if it happened I would cross the road (if I could), so as not to 'distract', for want of a better word, the guide dog, but I must admit I was under the impression that if I couldn't that the guide dog would be trained to not interact with my dog, let alone lunge at it :eek:

Surely these dog should be taken out of service?

I have never come across a guide dog while I had my dog but I have always thought if it happened I would cross the road (if I could), so as not to 'distract', for want of a better word, the guide dog, but I must admit I was under the impression that if I couldn't that the guide dog would be trained to not interact with my dog, let alone lunge at it :eek:

Surely these dog should be taken out of service?

These dogs would be trained to be non-reactive to other dogs. But then they are sent out to owners who cannot see a threat to their dog coming & cannot minimise the harm done to their dog. They can't put their dog into a sit & move in front to protect them, or see a threat in the distance & decide to go a different way. I'd reckon guide dogs would be the most likely, as a group, to have reactive issues after a while, poor buggers.

Great article, thanks.