Looking For A Working Line Labrador

dasha

Hi there,

I am trying to help a work colleague look for a labrador pup (yellow female).

It will be raised in the family home and then when she is old enough, she will be trained as an assistance dog.

My colleague has MS and is in a wheelchair and so she would like to start the process now of an assistance dog to help her in the future.

The family has had dogs before and family used to show dogs so are a knowledgeable dog home.

She was thinking a working line labrador would be better in some aspects and that is her preference. She wouldn't want the highest drive pup in a litter but a working bred litter is her preference.

If anyone can recommend any breeders or triallers that may be able to help, it would be much appreciated.

She is not wanting a coated breed so not Goldens or anything else.

My friends breed dogs used in the assistance programme but they aren't working lines at all .

There dogs are used in retrieving trials ,guide dogs & assistance dogs .

The Lab club should be able to suggest good working breeders that still have sensible dogs

I was reading up about the dogs used as guide dogs and from what I remember reading, they prefer a much calmer temperament due to the job they're required to perform eg ignoring a lot of their surroundings, which can get quite distracting.

I understand assistance dogs and guide dogs perform different jobs, but I really do think a calmer dog would be more suitable.

Yes guide digs and assistance dogs are selected fir calm, stable temps. Whereas the customs dogs are more like working line Labs and are bred for their drive. It's like comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't want to live with a customs dog lol.

Yes guide digs and assistance dogs are selected fir calm, stable temps. Whereas the customs dogs are more like working line Labs and are bred for their drive. It's like comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't want to live with a customs dog lol.

totally agree, I have been around both retrieveing (working line) dogs and my daughter had a service dog, no way would a true working dog be able to stay calm for as long as needed in an asisstance dog

as Kirty said they are apples and oranges

Back in the guide dog training days we had a Lab that failed big time as a guide dog, turned out to be a fantastic drug dog. Blotted his reputation a fair bit by grabbing the briefcase off the aide to a very important international political figure. Nope, never found out what was actually in that briefcase :laugh:

Back in the guide dog training days we had a Lab that failed big time as a guide dog, turned out to be a fantastic drug dog. Blotted his reputation a fair bit by grabbing the briefcase off the aide to a very important international political figure. Nope, never found out what was actually in that briefcase :laugh:

Love it! :laugh:

Had my suitcase used in a training scenario for a young Lab at an airport once. Of all people to ask and they got me!!!! It was awesome - the dog was learning "intelligent disobedience" and you could just about see him swearing at his handler :D

Thanks guys. Will let her know.

She doesn't want a show line lab she said.

She said she wanted a dog with lines that are very trainable and bred to work with you, not a show dog line.

Will def look into the suggestions here and let her know. Thanks so much

She said she wanted a dog with lines that are very trainable and bred to work with you, not a show dog line.

guide dog have specific lines that they buy pups from, I would have a look at these :) My boy Riddick is from http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=SANDAKHAN and he looks very working line.

8423433230_e1dd5a9a7e_c.jpg

http://www.degellabradors.com/ is another breeder I would highly recommend, she often sells puppies to guide dogs (my mums dog Rover comes from here and is fantastic, 3 of his siblings are now working guide dogs :))

Show lines may not have the drive that working lines do, but Labradors in themselves are very trainable and live to please their people, including show line Labs!!

Edit to add: I often comment that my show line Lab would have made an excellent assistance dog. She is calm around the home, she closes doors, brings me items, very trainable to do most tasks around the home that an assistance dog would be trained to do. My other Lab, though not certain what her lines are as she's a rescue, is a complete nutter and would make a terrible assistance dog. I vote the same as the others, calmer temperaments are more suited to assistance dogs!

Edited by RubyStar

I don't just don't see where people get the idea that show bred dogs of any breed are untrainable head cases....total bunkum! You get what you put in. A hard wired dog may be totally unsuitable, also a working Lab should be a calm steady dog that has plenty of down time waiting to be asked to perform its role, no use to a hunter if the dog is a nut case that is unsafe around other dogs or shooters with guns.

Edited by Crisovar