Dog Killed At Kennel By Another Dog

Rosetta

I won't hesitate to sue and wouldn't give a rats **** if it drove up the costs of insurance and then boarding fees. I would want them out of business.

There is no way I would ever board a dog where the kennel thinks it is ok to put them outside in exercise yards. I put my dogs in a kennel to be safe, I want them in their own run attached to the kennel part. I could care less about them getting extra exercise while in a kennel. An attached run is quite sufficient. They are not there for a holiday they are there to be kept safe.

In which case I would want their kennel license revoked, not a bankruptcy declaration.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't hesitate to sue and wouldn't give a rats **** if it drove up the costs of insurance and then boarding fees. I would want them out of business.

There is no way I would ever board a dog where the kennel thinks it is ok to put them outside in exercise yards. I put my dogs in a kennel to be safe, I want them in their own run attached to the kennel part. I could care less about them getting extra exercise while in a kennel. An attached run is quite sufficient. They are not there for a holiday they are there to be kept safe.

In which case I would want their kennel license revoked, not a bankruptcy declaration.

nope, I would want the lot, vindictive b!tch that I am :)

So you wouldn't board your dog with me because I have their kennel which is concrete and they are walked a very short distance to a grass exercise yard, at least twice daily and are exercised by themselves( or with their family group)

That's pretty harsh.

I too think shoddy kennels should be shut down they give us who do care and are doing a great job a bad name.

Yes, that sounds good to me.... having a system of overview where a kennel's licence could be revoked. Nothing would make kennels tighten up protocols more.... than to know that a serious incident could halt their business.

Also in SE Qld, I knew of people whose tibbie was killed in kennels because a dog in the adjacent kennel was able to scramble right over the top of an unroofed section.

So you wouldn't board your dog with me because I have their kennel which is concrete and they are walked a very short distance to a grass exercise yard, at least twice daily and are exercised by themselves( or with their family group)

That's pretty harsh.

I too think shoddy kennels should be shut down they give us who do care and are doing a great job a bad name.

OsoSwift, sadly there will be shonky operators in every profession, from huge multinationals down to the grass roots providers of a service.

I guess, in the final analysis, you have to do the best you can and market yourselves accordingly.

There are those who, like yourselves, want to be able to sleep soundly at night, and there are those at the other end of the scale don't care.

It is the way things are and those of us who do care have to continue to be vocal in anyway we can.

I can totally understand how angry and frustrated you must be when events happen that tar the industry with the same brush.

I've had some shocking experiences from kennels - the good, the bad and the ugly....now I have one where I know the owners very well and completely trust them with any of my animals...I have never had that before....the dogs come back as well and fit (or better) as when they went in...I don't worry about fights, ticks, incidents, escapes, vet issues being ignored or anything else...so I agree with OSoSwift - they exist - you just have to go looking and be selective...

That's terrible. :(

I'm waiting for OSo to move to the big smoke so I can go on a holiday. :D

Aww thanks :)

I have to say when the dogs are with me they are like my own, if there are any concerns at all their owners are contacted immediately, even if it isn't a need to see the vet emergency situation. I treat others and their dogs as I would wish myself and mine to be treated. That means their physical and mental health are equally important.

I go into the kennels multiple times throughout the night if there are storms and I have known storm phobic dogs, There are genuine people who really do care. The ones that don't yep they can be shut down :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I have to say when the dogs are with me they are like my own, if there are any concerns at all their owners are contacted immediately, even if it isn't a need to see the vet emergency situation. I treat others and their dogs as I would wish myself and mine to be treated. That means their physical and mental health are equally important.

I go into the kennels multiple times throughout the night if there are storms and I have known storm phobic dogs, There are genuine people who really do care. The ones that don't yep they can be shut down :)

I hope your clients appreciate you! Yours is obviously the type of kennel we are all looking for but they are so hard to find.

OSoSwift it's nice to know there are some good people out there in the animal industry.

Unfortunately I know of too many bad things that happen even if only minor, to ever risk my guys in someone else's hands. If I went away and something went wrong I would never forgive myself and I know I would be out for blood.

Probably the reason why my husband and I have only been away twice for three days at a time in 18 years even then we took dogs with us.

You need to choose a kennel the same way you are choosing your accommodation for your holiday and you don't do it at the last minute (although I know emergencies do arise).

I've only had to use kennels twice in my life (normally my sister or a friend would house and dog sit). One time I remember the owners expressing concern about my two sbt's (mother and son) eating and sleeping together and I had no idea what they were on about but they said fights had happened before when two supposedly friendly dogs had been kennelled together. They tried separating mine but the crying and carrying on meant they went back together. Also when I drove in to pick them up my boy burst out from the kennels and jumped straight into my car before I had time to even get out. I thought that was hilarious at the time (he missed me) but for the staff it was a moment of great panic. I don't know how he even got out but he was a real Houdini at home so it didn't worry me as nothing bad happened. Now I'm imagining owning a kennel and having to deal with those kinds of situations and the grown up in me can see what a nightmare it could be!

There are good and great boarding kennels out there... but if you've never boarded your dog before, really how are you going to know which ones are the ones you want to trust with your dogs?

Almost anyone with the kennel space can get a boarding license, but we all know that the license isn't the bit we really want to know about with regards to the business of caring for other people's pets...

I'm lucky that I have a friend with kennels who I would happily trust to look after my dogs if I needed to go away for a short while - and even my neighbours are happy to look after my dogs at my house in an emergency, like when I had to go to hospital a couple of years ago.

All that said - I haven't been on holiday for years... I actually prefer to stay home with the dogs... lol!

T.

I agree. Oso the people who board their dogs with you are very lucky, I too wish you were in the big smoke :)

I worked in a number of kennels in my area 11-12 years ago. The policy in 2 of them in school hols was to double up dogs in single kennels and 4 dogs to a double kennel run. Inspections were by appointment so we could move the double ups out into the yards so there was only 1 remaining in each kennel as people came through. We would have up to 8 dogs in each outdoor exercise area during the day. The dogs weren't seperated for feeding or supervised and the dogs that were mixed had often never met before. People were paying around $25/day thinking their dogs had a kennel to itself. It was unfortunately the norm, and the clients had no idea. The only kennel that housed as they promised to did it because there were webcams up 24/7 so owners could check on their pets (they cost more though)

I won't board my dogs if I can avoid it, ever.

And that was also a big reason why we never went far after my very trusted friend got married and had three kids and couldn't house sit any more.

I am always reinforcing to myself why I wanted to do this and the fact I designed and built kennels that I would be happy to put my own dogs in.

There has to be more out there but yes how can you tell which are which???

I feel for anyone who has boarded their pet and had a phonecall to say they have been injured or worse even, killed. To be honest if it were my dog I would want answers as well and I would be out for blood. I guess it's like good breeders, sometimes it can be hard to sit the wheat from the chaff