Dog Killed At Kennel By Another Dog

Rosetta

How sad for both dogs and their owners at losing their pets due to some form of negligence. However, I do not understand what relevance the comment about the deceased dog being handed to owners frozen has to do with anything, would they have rather be handed a decaying body?

Most likely grief. They would have been in shock at having to collect their poor dog's body and the fact that it was frozen may have been too overwhelming for them. :(

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An awful situation but I also get confused when people sue as they still will be traumatised and their dog will still be gone.

Unfortunately, the business of suing is now big business and has gone to ridiculous lengths when a householder can be sued by a robber who is hurt while robbing the house :eek: .

However, when something like this happens, I think it is more about making a point and trying to ensure that others don't suffer the same.

And, most importantly, it is about ensuring someone takes responsibility for a tragedy that should not have happened.

True DD, but they have been fined and are answerable for what happened.

Having worked in vet hospitals getting handed a deceased pet can be extremely traumatic any way it is done. These people sounded extremely dependant on their dog and do not seem to be handling the pets death as a majority of owners would most likely handle it.

So for them it may have been too much. Personally I don't like to think of my pets being cremated, however I am lucky I have the land to be able to make the choice to bury them at home.

Terrible set of circumstances.

With regards to suing- i am split down the middle. I went after a company and won after their gross negligence nearly killed my horse and has resulted in ongoing soundness issues, more than 15 thousand dollars in vet bills and a serious reduction in the horses value. Would i do the same thing in a situation with a dog where the financial impact is not the same? Maybe.

Interesting to see the various opinions regarding suing in this case. I remember in the tragic case of Buddy the vast majority of posters supported legal action. A lot would depend of course on the kennel's approach to the incident when informing the owners initially.

In the end the best revenge is perhaps being able to name the business responsible for the neglect - sometimes tying the matter up in the courts precludes this from happening. These people are certainly grieving their loss and perhaps they feel that issuing of an infringement notice by the council is not sufficient to change the kennel's practices. I feel very sad for them - they would be feeling guilty about leaving the little dog in the kennel as well.

The owners of Grommit were on TV tonight

According to them, the rottweiler was out (in an exercise yard?) on leash with ..... (his owner?). Her mobile rang, and she answered it, walking off and leaving him. Then another person, thinking the area was vacant, let Grommit out. And she was attacked by the rottweiler.

According to them, the rottweiler was out (in an exercise yard?) on leash with ..... (his owner?). Her mobile rang, and she answered it, walking off and leaving him. Then another person, thinking the area was vacant, let Grommit out. And she was attacked by the rottweiler.

Unlikely to be the owner if it was inside the kennel. Stupidity all round. What show was it on?

Another effect, should this one get a lot of publicity and Grommet's owners win their case, will be that kennels will get much more conservative about letting dogs exercise.

Accidents are waiting to happen at a lot of kennels. Unless each indoor run is attached by a gate to its own private outdoor exercise area, and there are no gates between exercise areas (a set up that creates a nightmare for lawn mowing), there's a lot that can go wrong letting dogs out to exercise. It's hard to know when one of your helpers is going to do something stupid . . . or for that matter, when you, yourself, might do something stupid.

I would imagine that a few DOL members have had one of their dogs seriously harm, if not kill, another because a gate was poorly fastened, or someone took their eye off the dogs at the wrong moment.

I know nothing about the kennel involved, and I'm not saying the event is excusable.

For me, the very high responsibility, hard work, and lack of time off that go with running a kennel were good reasons to get out of the business (not to mention the low return on capital investment). I'm glad to have left it behind.

I'd expect that the kennel's insurance company has instructed them to say nothing to anyone . . . so it's going to be hard to find out what happened in this case.

Edited by sandgrubber

What "value" do you put on a companion animal? What is a "fair replacement cost" of a such an animal? The dog was a Cav cross, so going by the "retail price" of such a mix, maybe $600-1000? Not a huge incentive for the kennel to change their practices to any great degree, is it?

But this was a dog whose owners cared enough about it to try to select a place for it to stay while they had a short holiday - somewhere they thought that it would receive proper attention and care and be safe while they were away. Instead, they were faced with a dog owner's worst nightmare - a call to tell them that their dog was killed by another dog while in care...

The truth of the matter is that anyone who receives a call like that is going to be somewhat traumatised - and that really needs to be addressed when trying to ensure that those responsible take strong note of the fact that their negligence has caused this trauma. The only way that a business will change it's practices to ensure that an incident doesn't ever happen again is to hit them where it's going to do the most harm - the wallet.

Money will not bring the dog back, and it won't change the owners thinking about their dog's last moments of fear and pain... but it might just send a very strong message to that kennel business (and others) that they need to be a lot more careful with the lives they've been entrusted with.

T.

How sad :(

Communication is vital in any kennel environment, there is no room for error, not for a split second.

"Thinking" or "believing' an area is vacant is simply not good enough, you have to be 100% sure.

In terms of the amount being asked for I do believe they should be compensated well over the price of getting another dog.

They probably had to pay for other flights, cancel their holiday, they are having counciling etc.

I would be distraught if this were one of my dogs and would never forgive myself despite doing everything possible to ensure my dog was safe, well cared for and happy. :(

Sometimes hitting people in the hip pocket is the only way to get some action.

My dogs and cat recently had an eight night stay at a kennel . I was surprised by the lack of protocol to follow regarding pick ups and drop offs . It got pretty hectic at closing time and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were incidents between animals coming and going .

What "value" do you put on a companion animal? What is a "fair replacement cost" of a such an animal? The dog was a Cav cross, so going by the "retail price" of such a mix, maybe $600-1000? Not a huge incentive for the kennel to change their practices to any great degree, is it?

But this was a dog whose owners cared enough about it to try to select a place for it to stay while they had a short holiday - somewhere they thought that it would receive proper attention and care and be safe while they were away. Instead, they were faced with a dog owner's worst nightmare - a call to tell them that their dog was killed by another dog while in care...

The truth of the matter is that anyone who receives a call like that is going to be somewhat traumatised - and that really needs to be addressed when trying to ensure that those responsible take strong note of the fact that their negligence has caused this trauma. The only way that a business will change it's practices to ensure that an incident doesn't ever happen again is to hit them where it's going to do the most harm - the wallet.

Money will not bring the dog back, and it won't change the owners thinking about their dog's last moments of fear and pain... but it might just send a very strong message to that kennel business (and others) that they need to be a lot more careful with the lives they've been entrusted with.

T.

This is how I view it also. You can do all the research possible and ask all the right questions before deciding on a kennel but in the end you also have to trust that there is appropriate attention to safety by the staff. I hate using kennels - you just have to trust that they actually do what they say they do.

I won't hesitate to sue and wouldn't give a rats **** if it drove up the costs of insurance and then boarding fees. I would want them out of business.

There is no way I would ever board a dog where the kennel thinks it is ok to put them outside in exercise yards. I put my dogs in a kennel to be safe, I want them in their own run attached to the kennel part. I could care less about them getting extra exercise while in a kennel. An attached run is quite sufficient. They are not there for a holiday they are there to be kept safe.

I won't hesitate to sue and wouldn't give a rats **** if it drove up the costs of insurance and then boarding fees. I would want them out of business.

There is no way I would ever board a dog where the kennel thinks it is ok to put them outside in exercise yards. I put my dogs in a kennel to be safe, I want them in their own run attached to the kennel part. I could care less about them getting extra exercise while in a kennel. An attached run is quite sufficient. They are not there for a holiday they are there to be kept safe.

I agree.