• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tragic. What a disaster for that poor family. :cry:

This from News.com.au

A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy has been mauled to death by a dog in southern NSW, despite desperate attempts by his mother and grandmother to save him.

The mastiff cross attacked the child while he was at a relative's home in Deniliquin, NSW, yesterday .

The child's grandmother, aged 70, intervened but was unable to release the child. The child's mother arrived and fought the dog off.

He and his grandmother were taken to Deniliquin Hospital by NSW Ambulance Paramedics but he died a short time later. The older woman has been treated for exhaustion, bruising and abrasions.

Council rangers and police seized the dog. It was destroyed overnight.

A report is being prepared by Deniliquin detectives for the information of

the NSW Coroner.

A NSW Ambulance Service spokeswoman said the boy suffered serious head and facial injuries and was transported to Deniliquin Hospital in a critical condition but died a short time later.

"They were really quite horrible head injuries that he received, including some serious scalp damage," she said.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Poor child :(

I wish they'd report the whole story including the dog's background and the events leading up to the attack.

yes.

Why? So we can excuse the dog and blame the parents for not supervising the toddler?

I am almost 70. I have a 2yo grandson. This story is horrific.

I have also owned a dog (a dalmation) that attacked. My dog was on lead and the boy attacked was on a skateboard. My dog was given its wings the next day. The boy's photo featured in the local paper that week under the heading Another Dog Attack.

I have also lived next door to a couple of large dogs that were especially trained as guard dogs to protect the houseowners' marijhuana crop. My 8yo son went over the fence to retrieve a ball and he was attacked. Not seriously thankfully.

I love dogs. Our society must be a safe one for children to grow up.

so awful :cry:

I guess it could be difficult writing and reporting the exact context of the attack. The family would be in such shock, probably neither the grandmother or mother are in much of a state to be giving that sort of information to reporters.

I guess it will come out in the coroners report.

This is very sad.

The incident should not have occurred, it doesn't matter about breed, size of dog etc. Was the dog properly contained? Was the child being supervised? etc.

Shocking story. Poor little boy

There is NO place for aggressive dogs in our society and owners of dogs that attack should be sent to jail.

Depending on context of course.

For example:

I wish they'd report the whole story including the dog's background and the events leading up to the attack.

yes.

Why? So we can excuse the dog and blame the parents for not supervising the toddler?

I have also owned a dog (a dalmation) that attacked. My dog was on lead and the boy attacked was on a skateboard. My dog was given its wings the next day. The boy's photo featured in the local paper that week under the heading Another Dog Attack.

I have also lived next door to a couple of large dogs that were especially trained as guard dogs to protect the houseowners' marijhuana crop. My 8yo son went over the fence to retrieve a ball and he was attacked. Not seriously thankfully.

I'm glad your child wasn't hurt seriously, however....

In this situation, I would blame the child for poor judgement and yourself for poor parenting.

You shouldn't let your child trespass, especially if you KNOW your neighbours are drug users and have dangerous dogs.....the dog was just doing what dogs do in that situation. It is the job of parents to make sure their children don't come into harms way.

yes.

It's not a case of 'excusing' the dog. It's a case of investigating contributory causes ... like if & how that dog was trained. There's also usually some warning signs (but not 100%) in the history of dogs that seriously attack. Pet owners need to have some basic knowledge about dog behaviour to recognize what could be a ticking bomb.

Add that to the fact that this poor, dear little toddler was in the age group most vulnerable for dog attacks & bites.

Police have a checklist to work thro' when investigating fatal car accidents. Investigators need to have a similar checklist for fatal or serious dog attacks .... with items based on what's known to be possible contributory factors. Information from that needs to be fed back into Dog Safety programs. Just as feedback from the car accidents is translated into Road Safety preventative measures.

But... as you say, the story is horrific. The mother & grandmother must be so traumatized.

yes.

It's not a case of 'excusing' the dog. It's a case of investigating contributory causes ... like if & how that dog was trained. There's also usually some warning signs (but not 100%) in the history of dogs that seriously attack. Pet owners need to have some basic knowledge about dog behaviour to recognize what could be a ticking bomb.

Add that to the fact that this poor, dear little toddler was in the age group most vulnerable for dog attacks & bites.

Police have a checklist to work thro' when investigating fatal car accidents. Investigators need to have a similar checklist for fatal or serious dog attacks .... with items based on what's known to be possible contributory factors. Information from that needs to be fed back into Dog Safety programs. Just as feedback from the car accidents is translated into Road Safety preventative measures.

But... as you say, the story is horrific. The mother & grandmother must be so traumatized.

Agree with this 150% ^^

This is very sad.

The incident should not have occurred, it doesn't matter about breed, size of dog etc. Was the dog properly contained? Was the child being supervised? etc.

Shocking story. Poor little boy

There is NO place for aggressive dogs in our society and owners of dogs that attack should be sent to jail.

Depending on context of course.

For example:

yes.

I'm glad your child wasn't hurt seriously, however....

In this situation, I would blame the child for poor judgement and yourself for poor parenting.

You shouldn't let your child trespass, especially if you KNOW your neighbours are drug users and have dangerous dogs.....the dog was just doing what dogs do in that situation. It is the job of parents to make sure their children don't come into harms way.

Yes I do and did accept responsibility for my parenting. My heart was still thumping hours later. However 8yo's don't always do as they are told, and 8yo's are not supervised 24/7 They often walk to school alone and kick their footballs in the street. The neighbours should not have had aggressive dogs.