Old Boy Getting A Bit Stiff

I'm sure I can search back through here and find all kinds of answers but quite frankly... um, I really can't do the search thing. :o

(plus I'm lazy)

Anyhoo... My old boy is taking his old thing to the next level. He just turned 11 (Go Loki! :thumbsup: ) and apart from failing eyesight and a bit quite a bit of white hair he is doing pretty well.

Except recently he is slowing down. He really doesn't want to get up in the morning and it takes a bit of motivation to get him up to go outside. He doesn't react when I feel him up all over, nothing seems to make him react like he is in pain.

I'm starting to think he might have a bit of arthritis trouble? Is there anything that I can give him? I know there are certain blends that people recommend but I need to know what. The vet may be his next port of call soon... but I was hoping there is an simpler solution....

Of course, he now has a brand new handmade knitted blankie made by my partners mother and there is always the possibility that he just doesn't want to leave it..... (should mention he is an old man shiba inu and everyone knows shibas are mad to begin with....)

There are a couple of threads on various products - vet could arrange a course of cartrophen injections. You can try any of the joint arthritis type supplements - I have previously used Joint Guard, Glyde, and the Vets All-Natural Joint Formula with varying results.

Mine are currently both on the Rose-Hip Vital Canine supplement - http://rosehipvitalcanine.com.au/ and doing great on that.

My nearly 13 year old Border Collie is running around like a mad thing and just finished off her TD title last weekend. She has had issues with arthritis and a wrist and was starting to slow up and I put her on the Rose-Hip Vital a number of months ago and have seen significant improvement. I have had her on Joint Guard for a number of years and she has also previously had a course of cartrophen injections a couple of years ago.

I also feed a human fish oil supplement on top of the RHVC.

Not every product works for every dog the same but I certainly recommend trying the RHVC :thumbsup:.

ETA. Here is a link to the Rose-Hip Vital Canine thread - http://www.dolforums...p-vital-canine/

A Joint Guard v Sasha's Blend thread - http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/188448-sashas-blend-and-joint-guard/page__p__4308247__hl__synflex__fromsearch__1#entry4308247

Edited by ness

My old beast is the same age and has similar problems. No obvious pain when moving about, just a bit creaky and slow to get going.

I was giving him Flex but recently switched to the Paw Osteocare chews which if nothing else, are easier than having to find new and inventive ways of hiding powder in things. This place has them on sale at the moment- http://www.budgetpetproducts.com.au/new/index.php?productID=3477&cat=299

so ... has he had a good check by the vet ? it may be something else other than arthritis ..heart/other pain, failing senses .....

So far yes... He is getting old, going blind (which added a basketful of paranoia to his resume)He has good teeth. Very good teeth apparently.

The last check up he was fine. No problems at all. I do wonder about his eyes and ears, but he is shiba. I know that means nothing for most of you but for those who know...I spent a year convinced he was deaf but he was just totally ignoring me because I didn't have the treats he wanted........

Even if he sleeps inside try a coat at night time, it keeps their hips warm.

Discuss the option with your vet because cartrophen can be really beneficial and if you have a starting point then it will be easier to make an objective decision about whether he needs more medication later on.

I use the osteocare chews too because they are easy and I like that they are from Blackmore's. But there is a recent study on how good green lipped mussel powder is and you can buy the actual dried mussels online - the dogs love them.

If you haven't had any bloods done on him then now is a good time to get a baseline. I like to do my first baseline bloods at around 8 years. I have found early issues in my dogs that way.

No comments on rose-hip as I haven't used it personally and we don't sell it so I have no feedback. :)

Even if he sleeps inside try a coat at night time, it keeps their hips warm.

Discuss the option with your vet because cartrophen can be really beneficial and if you have a starting point then it will be easier to make an objective decision about whether he needs more medication later on.

I use the osteocare chews too because they are easy and I like that they are from Blackmore's. But there is a recent study on how good green lipped mussel powder is and you can buy the actual dried mussels online - the dogs love them.

Loki is a funny lil critter... He iswas one of those weird dogs that love sleeping out on wet mud and cold concrete. Not kidding... give him a blanket and snuggy warmth and he rejected it for frostbite.

We just moved house and now suddenly he is reluctent to move.... I thought it might be because of the change in his life but "he just dwells happily here" as they say..

He now sleeps indoors and he wont get up at all when asked. He curls up in a ball and nothing can break him up...

My 14 year old girl is a bit arthritic and can sometimes have difficulty getting out of her nice warm beddie in the mornings (during winter). We have tried a few joint supplements and cartrophen over the past couple of years with no real success...

She now has a dose of Meloxicam of an evening if the temps are going to drop below 10 degrees overnight, and has been doing really well on it... much less reluctant to get out of bed and get moving about in the morning.

T.

My 12 year old poodle has quite a bit of arthritis due to having both cruciates repaired in the last few years.

She has her cartrophen injections and a maintanence dose of Meloxican everyday to every second day depending on what she has been doing.

We have seen a huge improvement and she is often bouncing around like a puppy, it is just a shame she has lost most of her eyesight.

My Pug is on his 3rd shot of cartrophen, Glyde and fish oil capsules for his hips. It's too early to tell if he's getting any benefit yet (ie Im not seeing any). I researched the Glyde tho and had a vet tell me it's what a lot of the ortho vets recommend .

My old Maremma has difficulty getting up once down and has recently started defecating and urinating while she's down :( Im going to chat to the vet about cartrophen for her next week at the Pugs appointment,.

Jus' thinking ... if this has only started since moving - it may also be connected to him being uncomfortable in new surroundings, and possibly also to do with his sight loss.

Have you taken him on a guided tour ? On leash? shown him everything close up in the yard? If he enjoys food /a particular smell .. perhaps give him treats, or place his favourites in small doses at fencelines/steps/bushes etc in the yard - so he can build up a picture of what's there?

Jus' thinking ... if this has only started since moving - it may also be connected to him being uncomfortable in new surroundings, and possibly also to do with his sight loss.

This is very interesting.... He has explored the new yard a great deal, but has never been allowed out overnight because he has panic attacks after dark and the new yard isn't secure enough to deal with his stress attacks.(when he freaks out and will ninja out of almost any fence :( )

Maybe clamping down on his blankie in the laundry is his "happy" place in the new house? After all, I was in the old house for 10 years....

It could explain why Wylie (the other boy) has suddenly gone from "run about blindly in puddles" to "I cant mum, I'll get my feet wet and melt"....

Hmmmmmmm

Sorry just an off-shoot from this, didn't mean to hijack the thread.. My hubby is on glucosamine/chondroiton/MSM for his joints at the moment and I have just gotten a huge 5kg tub on special.

Does anyone know if this is suitable for dogs as a preventative? Neither my dog (5yo lab) or puppy (4mth old lab) have troubles but we do have a lot of stairs around home and am hoping to employ prevent any issues.

• 1 month later...

Make sure you see an animal chiropractor. Lots of these signs can be blamed on arthritis but really it is from them being out of alignment with pinched nerves causing them pain after years of living in our homes that are not suited to their bodies (eg stairs, slippery floors, jumping up and down off furniture, rough play or even the bitch stepping on them in the litter when they are young)