Breed Id

Red Fox

A friend has just taken on a dumped dog. She's 9 months old, approx 20-22 inches tall, unsure on weight at this time

Previous owners said she is Ridgeback x Bullmastiff but way too small IMO and neither breed is common in this area.

Does anyone want to have a guess at the mix? (local council requires a 'breed' or combination of breeds for registration, will not list as 'mixed breed')

Thank yousmile.gif

List what people would think if it got lost .

We get so many dogs in boarding that are registered with the council as XY & that is the breed people book them in as but if the dogs where lost & the combo described you wouldn't consider it .

Staffy/kelpie cross or Ridgie /staffy cross.

The butterfly ears are more typical Staffy the rest could be pot luck .

I see no Mastiff anything there

With current problems & hysteria I wouldn't put the word bull anything in the breed.

Could be anything but the colour is sort of Ridgeback. Shape looks like a Corgi as in short legs, long body.

Make up some breeds that people have heard of just in case she goes wandering by accident.

Another photo from a different angle. Legs are not short. I really can't see much Ridgeback in her, or bull-mastiff. Personally I was leaning towards a mix of Lab x and generic staffy x, with perhaps some Cattle Dog/mastiff/ridgeback further back in the mix.

She will probably be registered as a Ridgeback cross regardless.

I suck at this stuff - but friends from Darwin have just moved to Adelaide with a beautiful ridgeback - and he reminds me of him. So ridgie x GSD for me too.

Whatever he is, I suggest you stay away from including any of the hysteria breeds at the moment - without any DNA testing its impossible to tell for sure anyway and you (and he) don't need the grief. smile.gif

List what people would think if it got lost .

We get so many dogs in boarding that are registered with the council as XY & that is the breed people book them in as but if the dogs where lost & the combo described you wouldn't consider it .

Staffy/kelpie cross or Ridgie /staffy cross.

The butterfly ears are more typical Staffy the rest could be pot luck .

I see no Mastiff anything there

I agree with this - the whole point of a breed ID is so that numpties will recognise the dog as that.

When running the rescue we had a litter come in who were German Spitz x with something shorthaired (only know this because of Mum). The pups were all labrador coloured so we IDed them as Labrador X Terrier and told the owners what they actually were. Having spent many years dealing with dogs in pound IDs that don't match dogs don't help dogs.