Rocky Smashes

princeza_b

:confused: i'm pretty much totally confuzzled on how to stop rocky my ridge back x GSD from demolishing my colourbond fences... yesterday my worst fear came to path... i have an alley way beside my house n it isn't used tht much but there are the regulars tht go down all the time...

now rocky doesnt react to everyone who walks the alley way... most part ppl can walk without him jumping at the fence... but there are the few tht cause him to go into the zone n u cannot break him from the zone with these ppl... one is a kid who i swear if assault wasnt illegal i'd beat the sh!t out of him... i've busted him throwing rocks n sticks over the fence n he also kicks at the fence... now i've asked him multiple times to stop doing tht n all he does is gives u this blank look n mutters under his breath n walks off... this kid goes past between 4:30-5:30 only on school days...

rocky also jumps at the fence when ppl walk their dogs down the alley now they do everything right... but of course he reacts to dogs...yesterday he literally went thru the fence... knocked a panel clean out... now this guy was great... he brought rocky back n let me know tht he got out... i've introduced rocky to a couple of the dogs before n tht stopped the crashing into the fence... but had never been able to catch up with this guy to introduce rocky to his dog... thankfully nothing bad happened...

i dont know how to stop him doing it... he also does the same at the backfence as well since my neighbour's toddler threw stuff over the fence... i know the kid was only playing but he still jumps at the same spot... i've put stuff up against the fence there n all he did was move a section to the left... any ideas on how to break this habit would be welcomed...

another question i have is... i adopted rocky from the animal adoption agency over a year ago n i still havent rec'd his paperwork... so i havent been able to register him with the council or register his microchip... i know for a fact they hadnt sent it thru to the council either coz i wouldve gotten a fine by now if they had which i couldve registered tht way... i've contacted AAA on numerous occasions asking for the paper work n they offered to email it to me n months go by n nothing...

help pls :cry: :cry:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stand outside the fence each day when the kid goes past and let him know in no uncertain terms that you will speak to his parents if he does not desist with what he is doing - apparently the soft approach is not working. Its very hard to stop a dog reacting to that type of provocation I would think.

Sorry don't have any suggestion regarding the paperwork.

Get him scanned by your vet to see if he even has a chip, if not get him chipped.

I strongly suggest you build a solid internal fence, about 50cm or so from the boundary fence. This should stop the dog being able to reach the colourbond fence and the gap will be small enough to not make him want to jump over the internal fence.

Maybe let him inside when that kid walks past and even when you are not home. If this is not possible then you will need a secure run inside your yard, like a kennel to stop him getting so worked up and fence running.

ETA: Try a hose or spray bottle (with water) to snap him out of it when he goes off. Leash him if necessary so you can correct him immeditely. This is not acceptable behaviour in suburbia and can escalate badly, especially if he actually gets out.

Edited by BlackJaq

Good suggestions for dealing with your dog when people and dogs come down the lane way.

I am assuming DDs suggestion about turning the hose on the kid is tongue in cheek and joking as it is actually assault to do so :D

But I could completely understand why you would want to do that

I am assuming DDs suggestion about turning the hose on the kid is tongue in cheek and joking as it is actually assault to do so :D

Only if you make it obvious :D You could be hosing out the cobwebs from the top of the fence and happen to miss, sending water skybound :p Just kidding...

If it was me, I would be restricting my dogs access to the area. Apart from the fact that you could land yourself in trouble if he gets out again and the person isn't considerate enough to return him, he obviously isn't comfortable with everyone who walks past and in all fairness to him I wouldn't be making him feel like he is in the position where he has to react. Colourbond fences make things so much worse in that respect as the dog has no visual cues to rely on and can only go on sound and scent, which can heighten their anxiety as someone walks past. I would reduce the issue by keeping him away from that area with some sort of internal fence, or better yet, a dog run.

Good luck :)

My dog bounces off the fence occasionally.

I go grab her by the collar and just hold her until she calms down. And then I let her go. If she bounces again, I get her by the collar and take her inside.

I used to say OI at her, or squirt her but the collar grab and waiting seems to work better and last longer.

The cat next door is a big temptation for her but we're getting better at resisting the urge.

Good suggestions for dealing with your dog when people and dogs come down the lane way.

But I could completely understand why you would want to do that

I can understand too, but I would be more worried the kid gets p*ssed right off & baits my dog or some other horrific thing. I would ignore the kid the best you can & protect your dog with better fencing.

Alleyways are difficult for dogs. We live next door to a kindergarten and generally have always lived in harmony with them (we were there before the kindergarten and it was supposed to be a reserve). But the parents committee in their infinite wisdom have decided that the kids' cubby house, veggie gardens, wheelie bins and anything else they can think of should be placed directly up against on our border fence. :banghead:

Blocking access is not fixing the behaviour but it's the path of least resistance. It will make your dog safe and the people walking past safe, and reduce your dog's anxiety about it.

Stand outside the fence each day when the kid goes past and let him know in no uncertain terms that you will speak to his parents if he does not desist with what he is doing - apparently the soft approach is not working. Its very hard to stop a dog reacting to that type of provocation I would think.

lol i've gone further then the soft approach with this kid... i tried tht at the start... i'm actually at tht stage where i'm gonna follow this kid home to tell his parents...

here's my dilemma... i dont own the property i just rent so adding to or changing the fence is out of the question :(

i've thought about the hosing of the kid... i've even gone one step further n was extremely tempted in having water balloons filled with pee n bombarding him with them but apparently thts considered assault :eek:

my dad had suggested the water bottle or hose but he's not the one tht has to replace the hoses rocky's chewed already... n rocky doesnt like water which is a complete shock to me coz all my dogs loved water n play with water... rocky hid when we 1st got him... now he's a bit relaxed n will be in the same area as me when i use the hose... so i dont wanna reverse tht... we even thought about water balloons stuck on the parts of the fence tht he hits but tht would reverse all the work his done so far...

grabbing him by the collar has been tried already... him being so fast n strong the doctor told me not to grab him for at least 6 weeks so my broken finger can heal... tht was 4 weeks ago...

all we were told when we adopted him was tht his previous owner kept him on a chain all the time n she allegedly had him from 6wks of age up until he was 18months when she surrendered him to AAA... the scars he has n the inch or so missing from his tail tells me he'd been abused n attacked by other dogs... his food aggression n need to gulp food down also his ribs sticking out were signs tht he was starved... so along with working with rocky about his "issues" i've had to retrain cuddles in some of his things around food coz him n his sister ninja used to play musical bowls at feeding time but with rocky tht would end in a fight so now when its feeding time i have rocky on one side n cuddles coz of his degenerative myelopathy has been trained to eat laying down in bed now... n u should see when they play... he is so careful with cuddles... like my backyard is uneven n they were playin on the side where it slopes n cuddles lost his footing n rocky was rolling n its hard to describe how it happened but he caught cuddles n held him up with his hind legs until i was able to repositions cuddles' legs n he lowered down... he literally stopped him from falling down the slope... cuddles has poor nite vision now n rocky will walk with him n blocks him if he thinks he might walk into something or hurt himself...

there is so much stuff... but rocky's worth the work... he is such a loving dog... he's learning hand commands now n has improved immensely n its just tht jumping at the fence tht we're stumped at ways of stopping him without reversing the other stuff he's overcome... i'm the only one tht he allows to leash him... n allows to be chained by... if anyone else goes to do it he thrashes about n runs from them... he's learnt a lot on the assistance side as well n has a fair way to go with tht but we work on tht everyday...

what about setting an electric fence up inside your boundary fence. You can buy portable electric fence controllers that take 4 D cell batteries. Horse people use them when they take their horses away to shows, camping etc. I recently lent mine to a friend to reinforce her boundary fence in a rental property. The initial outlay would cost a bit, you'd have to buy the electric tape and fence posts, but you can take it with you when you leave.

A dog run is a great idea, that can be taken with you when you move.

The electric fence may also be another option - my neighbour's dog got out several times a week for 2 years. Some of the time she ended up in my house - she broke my dog door once, but apart from that (she is a large dog), when she came in she terrorised my old littlies and turned the house upside down - jumping on the kitchen benches, knocking all the water bowls over and so on.

He'd chopped down all the trees she would climb to get up on the fence which she'd walk along like a tightrope - it was amazing to see - but in the end, she could still climb the fence so then he put up an electric line and there's been no more escaping thank God.

You run the risk of your dog being declared "dangerous" if he's getting out to get to other dogs.

As for the paperwork, that's pretty poor of AAA - especially as you've contacted them several times. It would make me wonder if he is or isn't chipped as someone said or if they took a surrender from someone who wasn't the original owner.

You can contact your council and discuss with them - do a Stat Dec perhaps, just check.

Edited by dogmad

You don't need paperwork to register your dog with the council. Go in & say you want to register a dog & they will give you a form to fill in. You don't have to say where you got him from. The rule is that you must register a dog over 3 or 6 months ( varies )living on your premises not state where obtained from or similar.

Sounds like the poor dog has landed in heaven with you after its previous life.

What about keeping him inside with you & when he needs to go out you go with him.

Maybe pop him on a lead at school times & firmly tell him no & to sit when he wants to lunge at the fence, treat if he likes them, & try & train him out of it.

On lead outside at the end of the alley so he can see the kids coming down it out of school may help if he is friendly. No use if he isn't.

Put a camera on top of the fence where the brat kid kicks, even a fake one may scare him off. Good luck. Hard situation.

Or threaten with the police. Both equally horrifying. Perhaps some fave CCTV cameras you could point out to him? :p

I am assuming DDs suggestion about turning the hose on the kid is tongue in cheek and joking as it is actually assault to do so :D But I could completely understand why you

would want to do that

Not really. Accidents do happen, particularly as hosing can be quite a Zen activity :) :)

Our daughter and son in law had a problem with one of their dogs jumping the 6ft colourbond fencing. He seemed to do it when they were out(maybe separation anxiety, even though they had another dog for company).They would find blood on the fence and no dog, so he was harming himself in his struggle to go over that fence. He is not dog aggressive, but was looking for human company. They installed an electric fence, and only needed to have it on for a few days. Now, since they have moved they only have the tape around the fence line.... it is not hooked up, just the sight of the white tape is enough to deter him.

I would seriously look into keeping your dog inside the house when you cannot supervise him seeing as he has fear issues that you do not want to aggravate.

And you can buy portable dog runs. Just get a sheet of gal mesh to lay under it for flooring so he cannot dig out, any farm center or steel place will have them. This way the whole thing is portable and does not require a slab. You will need a piece of mesh slightly larger than the run so the panels of the run stand on top of it and there is no gap. I even found concrete mesh (which is cheap) works fine for large dogs. Anything his shoulders won't fit through will be fine (for the floor).

Your dog sounds like he is very stressed by the situation, which in the long term can have a very bad impact on the dog's mental and physical health, not to mention the fact he has already had success once now, he will not forget this. Is there any reason why he cannot be inside where he is safe from these negative stimuli?