What Do You Do With Your Dogs When You Go Out?

Guest hanko

When I'm home the dogs have free range inside or out although most of the time they chose to be side with us, unless it's dark and the samoyeds are out watching for possums :laugh:

If I'm gone for a couple hours they're locked inside, the two oldest males are kept separate. If it's a whole day they're locked in the runs outside. I don't give them free range of the yard. I have stock fencing and I don't need them getting ideas and getting out or having a workman leave the gate open.

The havanese are always locked inside regardless of the time we're gone.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not often we go out together without our dogs . I'm home 99.9 of the time with them. But if we do go out its usually only for a short period. We always keep them inside (they have free range of the whole house). We leave a radio or tv going for background noise.

On the rare occasion we have had to go our for longer periods of time then I have asked my parents to come up and dog sit them provided they are able too. That way they can go in and out of the house still and I know someone is still looking after them.

Mine have free range of back yard ( about 1.5 acres) that is securely fenced with 6 ft solid fencing and hot wire along the bottom...and it can't be seen from the road. Gates are padlocked. They also have the big covered back deck to use. They all 4 run together. When I'm home they are mostly inside with me unless there is bird activity outside when the stampede to get out there begins LOL!! If I have to leave them in the evening for a few hours the destructive ones get locked on the back deck and the furniture friendly ones get to stay in the house ! :)

Currently inside during the day. Having two pups 6 weeks apart they are separated by a pet gate.

Most afternoons either my partner or myself will go home and open the gate in between to let them spend a few hours together alone to build up to when their together full days outside.

Beckybec are your 2 learning to play nicely or do they roughhouse at all? I'd one day love to leave Hank and Odie and they generally get on very well but they do tend to wrestle quite a bit, not so much a problem now as they are roughly the same size but it might be an issue once Hank is fully grown :o Just asking because I've seen photos of your pup and I know that Sansa will be a bit bigger than mr. Saxon when she's fully grown :D

For sure they wrestle! Sometimes it gets out of hand but other days they can be angels. Hence why they don't get full days together. I think it sometimes works against us because they're just so damn excited to be with us/together they can be psychos! But we need to trust them - they're just puppies after all. Just means more exercise in the morning and more at night too.

Mine are big athletic dogs that thrive with room to run and play, when I am home they are inside or out as they please, usually they choose wherever I am. But unless it is a very hot or very wet day, they spend my working day outside with each other, behind secure padlocked double gates and high fences and with plenty of undercover area if they want it. Much better for them than being locked inside for several hours at a time, esp as they won't toilet inside and holding on for that long on a regular basis is not a healthy thing to impose on them.

This is not from the training group but on a search you can find lots of info too saying the same or similar

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BackyardDogs.php

On a quick skim that page is about dogs left outside in isolation. I agree no attention and kept as a backyard ornament is bad for the dog's well being. But being outside while I am at work is very different to that.

Edited by Diva

Hi, it wasnt about not ever being outside just not left alone whilst you go out, from what I recall them saying :)

I am no expert, I freely admit and am learning all the time.

This is what we told when someone asked about leaving pup outdoors, when they were talking about pen/crate training.

Not about playing out when people are about.

They said all the outside noises and stimulation stops pup getting much needed rest when your out, which leads to behaviour issues and training issues...

I was actually told not to let him free run in the garden, but have him on the lead when he is out, so he cannot ignore me and run around and he shouldnt have free run, however, it is not possible to restrict him to a small area, he likes to have a run about so I have not done this advice..

When I'm at home the back door is open and Brembo can come and go as he pleases. I'm home sick today and he has spent most of the day on the couch with me but has also taken himself outside and sunned himself on the deck.

Fluff - I don't know if you have misunderstood your trainers or they have just given you terrible advice. I don't see why your puppy can't spend anytime outdoors. What breed of dog is so precious that it can't spend anytime outdoors?

Edited by fluff1234

I really think the overstimulation argument is a load of bull, I find it nonsensical. If they are saying keep him tethered to you, there are some cases you would do that with, but only if there was a deep deficit in the relationship between dog and owner that needed remedial work. It isn't really normal.

Edited by Diva

I mentioned he ran of and I had to chase him when I called him to come in, he is only young and thinks its a fun chase game LOL, they mentioned why does he have that freedom, he shouldnt have that freedom in the garden, to be able to do it and he should be leashed! I mentioned we had issues with him toiletting on the lead, which cause real problems in the beginning and now is not a problem as he goes freely to the toilet when I take him out, watch and treat. I was told he has to learn to toilet on the leash. I however, didnt follow this advice, he has way too much fun playing in the yard and I really dont want to stress his toileting out either as he hasnt had an indoor accident for weeks and weeks and is only 17 weeks old.

We are actually switching training schools soon due to another issue regarding desexing, so will ask them their thoughts :)

Edited by fluff1234

Our dogs (4, two girls + two boys, ranging in age between 4 and 11) have access to inside and outside, 24/7 as they please. :thumbsup: They have a dog door which they can use as they please, and a massive backyard with a garden for them to dig in (they never do :laugh:) and a pool as well. Indoors they have upstairs and downstairs, with no restrictions as to where they are allowed to go (except my sister's bedroom, as the kitten decided that is his new kitty litter tray so door stays shut). All of them sleep in their 'person's' respective bedrooms. Carl and Mischa sleep with me.

When I'm not home, they're asleep on my bed in the sun. When I am home, they're wherever I am. :D

Well my dogs come in when I want them in not when they want in and they go out when I want them out or when they want out. They know crying at the door wont get them what they want from the time they arrive so they don't do it and they are all happy well mannered and well adjusted dogs. There are a lot less dangers for them outside than inside un attended because Ive designed their environment to keep them safe and happy. over stimulated? What IS that?

Elsie is left inside when no one is home, she doesn't really spend much time outside at the moment actually as our chickens have made a giant bloody mess of the garden and it's all mud and chicken sh*t at the moment and I refuse to bath her daily LOL so she just has access to the patio and a tiny bit of garden. She only wants to go outside if its sunny so she can nap in the sun, but the weather has been really yucky lately :(

Well my dogs come in when I want them in not when they want in and they go out when I want them out or when they want out. They know crying at the door wont get them what they want from the time they arrive so they don't do it and they are all happy well mannered and well adjusted dogs. There are a lot less dangers for them outside than inside un attended because Ive designed their environment to keep them safe and happy. over stimulated? What IS that?

Yep. All my dogs have been able to be inside, outside, on their own, together, separated either side of a fence or baby gate, whatever I want is what they get. And they are quiet about it. I call the shots in this household.

hi hankodie

My dogs are get kept inside a 6 ft fence made of 1.5 x 2 m panels and 6 ft chain mesh fence when I am away from the house.

I keep my dogs away from the boundary fence around the property.

It stops my dogs annoying people but more impertantly, it stops people annoying my dogs.

The fence panels join the rear of the house, and the downstairs laundry makes an excellent kennel for them.

They have a large yard, divided into two big areas, and have learnt to play together, tease and boss each other around.

Bruno has access through a dog door to the living areas of our house. Bedrooms are blocked off with a baby gate (mainly to protect the kids toys from being stolen, Bruno loves toys). Mine is not a destructive dog, and he mostly sleeps when we are out. He likes to watch the street from the lounge room window too.

I block the dog door and keep him outside if he has a bone to eat though. No one needs to find a manky roo tail inside that way.

All three of mine are indoors. They get a long walk in the morning and have free rein in the house, usually a max of 8 hours. We haven't found a dog door big enough for them that is also secure enough, and outside would result in problems for both the neighbourhood cats and wildlife. They all sleep happily.

My Shihtzu has an open crate and a bed in the laundry for when we go out, the laundry has a pet door to the outside, so she can be in the laundry or the garden. Don't let her have the full run of the house because she gets frantic if she can't find me in the house. If I'm home she is wherever I am. She sleeps on our bed at night. :)

In a large pen with a concrete floor, fake grass and lots of toys :)

I am suprised so many are outside, I would be so worried they would escape or be stolen.

The dogs either side of us are left outside all day and are a pest

The dog training said its not good for puppies too leave outside either..

Maybe they are outside cause they are after all dogs and it's good for them, rather then be cooped up in a pen for 3/4 of their life. Pups need to feel rain on their back, sunlight on their face, wind ruffling through their fur, chase a leaf blowing along the ground. I appreciate this is not always possible for people living in flats/units but if you have a backyard, then yeah I think the dog should be allowed to enjoy it, on his own terms, not with a human hovering over them.

Totally agree with this :) Environmental exploration /developing of all sorts of skills ..and just FUN ..watching bugs , tasting grass, sniffing dirt, feeling different things with those paddy feet ....