Elizabethan Collar Alternatives

moosepup

Guys, Nacho and I are going mental! His dislike for the e collar is getting in the way of sleepy time. :( He's been sleeping in my bed because the cone makes it hard for him to manoeuvre in his crate lol but he still spends half the night moving around. Moose is also unhappy with this arrangement as the bed is usually his domain only.

Has anyone tried and tested the alternatives with success? Soft cones etc? He's not bothered about the actual cone part but he hates the plastic around his neck. We aren't trying to stop licking, just ear scratching. Heeeelllpppp!!!

I told him to do his best eyes so you would help us.

a43fee212ac06468ee293ccd3fc329da_zps79d70d04.jpg

We have comfy cones Moosepup I think I bought them from Waggle, they have been great and just collapse down when they lie down. They are made of a ripstop type material so are much softer. They arrived very fast as well.

Comfy e-collars

Hmm that looks quite good! How does it stay around the neck? Velcro?

Not sure I can offer any help, but I had to comment on his photo- how could anyone not try to help when they see those eyes. He is gorgeous. Good luck finding a workable solution.

Di

Haha he is the king of guilt trips!!

We also used a comfy cone when Luka was desexed recently. He got used to it quite quickly. You just put it round his neck and velcro it as tight as it needs to be. Hardest thing for us was Luka didn't like the noise of the velcro being undone, so if you do have a noise sensitive dog this may be a problem. Although at least the noise precedes the cone coming off :)

We have successfully used the Kong cloud collar, love it. fur-panto is the right height for bumping that hard plastic into the back of your knees, effectively taking you out...

eta: it wasn't for ear scratching though, it was more for anti-wound licking.

Edited by Panto

I can highly recommend the Novaguard. It is Australian made and just a great design, doesn't muffle up their ears and is much narrower so they can still run around like normal. My girl recently had her desexing surgery and the Elizabeth collar stressed her out sooo much, she is very sensitive so she hated it whenever it bumped into things and she couldn't hear properly, she was just miserable. She tolerated the Novaguard much better and didn't bump into stuff anymore. The only drawback was that I had to do it up really quite tight because her fur is so slippery if I didn't it would just slide back and smoosh her ears lol. Other than that it was a great product. :thumbsup:

Edit : Just realized you wanted to prevent ear scratching... well it won't help with that then as it leaves the ears free.. LOL.. sorry, my bad.

Edited by silentchild

Sorry Moosepup I missed your question, yes they just velcro on , there are three sets of velcro tabs on ours for adjustment and they run almost the length of the cone shape so it is quite secure. It also has tabs that you could slide a collar through as well, but we just used the velcro and it stayed on.

I have been using a folded up towel wrapped on and held with vet wrap for my pup whos just had his rear dews done :) he looks very silly but its not really bothering him and because its soft he can sleep comfy too :)

edited to add: I didnt have anything..until he chewed one of his stitches out!! (two on either paw)

Edited by Missymoo

I recently used a King Cloud collar. It was well tolerated, much smaller and more comfortable that a traditional collar. Not sure how it would go if it was a wound on a foot or something though?

Normally Rommi doesn't lick her sores but the wound at the front of her shoulder she would not leave along. The collar worked wonderfully

Thanks guys! The cloud one looks difficult to lie down in! Not sure if they make them small enough for a Chihuahua? The comfy cone looks good, I'm just trying to see if I can find one in store somewhere in Perth so I don't have to wait for shipping.

He didn't need a bucket at all when he was neutered but then he only had a couple of stitches, this is much more extensive. :( And he definitely needs it on because he tries scratching immediately when you take it off.

The big plastic collars were like a weapon!!

Yes! I think he's not far off taking Moose or Zoe's eye out! Plus he likes bulldozing under the doona and it's 5 times worse with a giant scoop on his head. There's nothing delicate about my Nacho lol.

Edited by moosepup