Extreme Anxiety When Being Groomed

CathyM

Hershey is one of my beautiful ex foster dogs, (I foster for a rescue group in Canberra) who was adopted by a friend of mine. He has thrown up a few challenges along the way, but none so traumatic for my friend as the issue he has when being groomed. I was hoping someone in this discussion forum may have experienced anything similar and might have some advice on how to cope going forward. See below.

Thanks

Hershey is a beautiful cross-breed 6 year old dog with a thick woolly coat. We adopted him as a rescue dog 12 months ago and were aware early on that he becomes easily anxious when in pain or threatened. He is particularly wary about having his feet touched. We suspected that having his coat clipped would be a challenging experience, as he had probably only been clipped once and this was done under general anesthetic during his surgery to de-sex him (before we adopted him). We chose a dog groomer who had experience with rescue dogs, however Hershey became so frantic that she was unable to finish clipping him, even though he was muzzled.

We tried again 3 months later. This time Hershey was sedated and clipped by our vet. The vet advised that she could only do a short clip (as for surgery). Although his coat was short, Hershey returned to his usual self within 24 hours. We couldn’t have his coat clipped short over winter because he would be too cold, so it was 7 months until his next clip, again with the vet. His woolly coat was quite matted and the job was difficult. The result was a very short clip with some razor scrapes and raw areas. Over the next couple of days, Hershey was in constant distress. He curled up in his bed trembling and growled when people or our other dog tried to comfort him. We contacted the vet 3 days later and she prescribed sedatives to help calm his anxiety. These made him sleepy but he continued to tremble and growl. By now he had also developed a constant habit of flipping around to reach his tail and flapping his ears. He was still doing this a week after his clipping and had taken to hiding in cupboards for hours on end. He wouldn’t engage with us at all. However during this whole period he continued to eat, drink, poop and go on walks.

Exactly a week after his clipping we took Hershey back to the vet. Based on his usual nervous personality, she suspected that his behaviour was an anxious response to the procedure. She prescribed a series of steroid tablets to help relieve his physical discomfort (short hair and raw patches) and suggested behavioural modification tablets might be needed if his anxious behaviours didn’t stop. Thankfully, at this stage, nearly 2 weeks after being clipped, it seems that the steroids – or simply time – have helped relieve his physical and mental pain and he is starting to recover. He is now affectionate with us again and the frantic behaviours have reduced, though not yet gone.

We’re grateful to have Hershey “return” to us, but are worried about how to handle his next clipping which he will need before the summer heats up. However we are really wary about going through the sedation process again, not knowing whether his distress has been caused by the clipping process under sedation (being aware but unable to do anything?); the physical discomfort of really short hair and raw skin; or a combination of both.

Any thoughts or advice on similar experiences would be really appreciated.

Are they brushing him regularly? That alone could help the process, physically as well as getting him used to being touched in that way.

Yes, they have tried to brush him and he hates that as well. I have also lent them my clippers to get him used to the sound, but it hasn't helped him either. I suspect Hershey made it to 6 years old without much love and I certainly suspect he'd never been touched in the grooming sense (be brush or clipped) he was one of the most extreme cases of matting I have ever seen. A little dog left to his own devices for by his previous owners. :(

I would try short, positive sessions every day. Have the treats ready and just keep shovelling them into his mouth. Start with the clippers off and running them over his body. Ignore any reactions and keep feeding treats. Also practice picking up his feet and rewarding him (no clippers). Once he settles a bit, turn the clippers on and just clip a tiny patch at a time, rewarding him every step of the way.

I think the reason he was so distressed last time was probably due to the clipper rash. Its very uncomfortable and would have made the whole process even more distressing for the dog.

In our salon we use a happy hoodie whilst grooming the body of anxious dogs - it is like an elasticised snood in a thick material that dulls the sounds around the dog as well as giving some comfort by the mild pressure.

It works extremely well in almost all cases.

For working around the head and legs, we sometimes use a thundershirt, again for the comforting factor.

The key really is regular grooming to keep the matting away, so maybe using grooming sprays such as Plush Puppy's OMG, which greatly reduces tangles and aids with less pulling, might help.

We have some dogs that come in every couple of weeks just to do this for the owners, as our groomer is so patient and gentle and doesn't have the emotional connection that can make it harder for owners sometimes.

Hope they can find a suitable solution.

Sags

:)

Thanks for all your replies. Certainly a few new things for the owners to try.

Here's a few pictures of Hershey. First one was when he was picked up and impounded. Second one after his desexing and I suspect his first ever groom. Third one is in his new home after he was adopted from me. He looks like 3 different dogs :eek:

post-9971-0-52348600-1380672247_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-08003700-1380672261_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-56229200-1380672273_thumb.jpg

Hershy is a sweet little guy. Poor fella has been pretty neglected by all accounts. Not handled at all for long periods of time coupled with painful mats in his fur as a result. Then he gets handled for a clip which leaves him in more pain. No wonder he is having issues.

I'm another who would take things very slowly with him. No clippers just yet, just a soft brush & plenty of his favourite treats. Start off with only one brush stroke on his fur & treat, verbal praise then repeat. End session. Next session 2 or 3 strokes, treat & verbal praise praise praise. No sudden movements. All calm energy around him. Patience is key IMHO.

Excellent post Sagittarian. Some really good ideas from someone who is obviously very experienced :)

I agree with what BC has said. Poor little guy has been traumatised every time any grooming has been done - it hurts so no wonder he hates it. He needs to be desensitized and it is a very slow process. Worth it though as he has a lifetime of grooming ahead. Very slowly does it - a few strokes each day accompanied by treats. Get him used to the noises by playing the sounds of clippers/dryers in another room until he is less reactive - things like that.

Its good to know there are groomers like Sags who take the trouble to help these poor little ones - hard to find them though.

My advice would be to find a groomer who is experienced with difficult dogs - visit regularly (weekly) for a wash and brush and a slow decensitisation / behaviour modification process where the dog learns that he has nothing to fear - a course of something like Clomicalm during this period may be helpful. The groomer should show the owner things that they can do at home with Hershey to help the process. I think this needs a wholistic approach groomer/behaviourist/vet/ owner

Hi all - I'm Hershey's owner. Thank you for your comments. I like the idea of trying a gradual desensitising process, hopefully leading up to a point where we can clip Hershey at home in short bursts. He actually loves to be held and patted but becomes very stressed when he feels "handled" and any sort of discomfort is involved, so it may be a long process to overcome that. His coat is too thick to let grow long over summer so we'll need to start working with him soon. He is slowly recovering from his trauma, still showing some anxiety induced behaviours but at least he seems to love us again!

If he loves being touched and patted then you have a good base from which to start the process.

Good on you for giving him such a great home. I'm sure with patience, and doing a very little bit with him every day, he can gradually learn to cope far better with the grooming process.

He's a gorgeous looking dog :)

Edited by Zug Zug

Personally i would be getting him done more often 7 months is along time for a dog that has issues especially if the coat has knots ,clipping knots still hurts & dogs don't forget.

He doesn't have to be clipped short but done regularly can be maintained at a length suitable for all parties but to be honest even in winter i would just go shortish with a dog that has such issues .

Thicker coats depending on what clippers people use can often take longer to get through .we use double k which power through heavy coats in no time

A good groomer depending on the coat could do alot of scissoring where possible .

The most important thing is groom on a table with a non slip matt a neural area from play to cuddles.

Just placing the dog up in this area daily for quick cuddles can do alot ,rubbing your hands over & then on the ground .

One thing i will say is i think sedated dogs seem worse than if left ,i think the panic of being out of control worries them badly .

We did a rescue Std Poodle they insisted on sedating not only was it a nightmare to get the dog to stand it panicked so much ,did some more the next day normal & a different dog.

Finding the right groomer can make a massive difference one who understands fair but educational & again is often a more comforting person than the owners who tend to panic more,

Not sure if you have used clippers yourself but if you haven't i would suggest learning on a stable dog before you attempt yourself as your handling could set the dog back

Start by getting the dog done very regularly at least every 4 weeks with a very experienced patient groomer in a quiet salon preferably as a one on one appointment.

The more often the grooming process gets done with only a bath and dry the more comfortable the dog will become before needing another clip.

He is flicking his ears because the weight of the knots has been removed keep watch for heamatomas.he is uncomfortable around the back end because his tail and bum has been clipped too short.

At home help de sensatize him using a battery operated electric toothbrush, it has a similar sound as clippers pretend to brush him while giving him rewards.

Some good advice re getting him used to it all.

I would also find an experienced & patient mobile groomer who will come to your home to do him & you stay with him throughout the process.

He will feel more relaxed in his own home without the worry of going somewhere strange to goodness knows what end. Having you there may also help not hinder.

Usually if a dog kicks up or is difficult most groomers will persist as long as its fairly safe to teach the dog it won't win this battle however for a dog that is this stressed I think it is best to go slowly & stop if it gets too much even if the dog is not completely done. By gradually doing a little more at a time & more often it will become accustomed to it even if never liking it. Force too much, too soon & it may even have a fit. I have seen this occur when its all been too much for a rare few. Slow & steady wins when they are this bad.

Edited by Christina

Maybe try desentitizing him. Every day, spend 1/2 an hour handing and brushing/combing him. Make it a fun exercise - lots of high voice "who is a gooooooooooood doggy then, who loves being brushed, such a good boy" ... while gently brushing, and feeding treats. Every single day. Maybe twice a day. Never a hard word, always a positive encouraging voice. Lots of pats and stuff he likes between brushing.

And if he was my dog, while he was in this state, I would get him used to the thinners, and I would wield them mercilessly, which will shorten and thin his coat until he will accept the clippers.

When he will lie on his back and be brushed all over, have the clippers about (not next to him) and turn them on and off for a bit.

He either has bad temperament, or has been abused --- or has sensitive skin and clipping hurts him.

I wouldn't send him to the groomer. He doesn't know them, thinks they may hurt him, and no matter how good, they will not have the patience you will. When he is ready for the groomer, one groomer only, same one each time.

Edited by Jed

Jed i don't agree with your comments about patience .As a groomer i am very patient as are most in the profession & grooming is all about handling & making the experience good.

A novice person can teach worse habits & instil more panic than good .

The dog needs direction & yes the owner can do alot to help but if there not confident with clippers/scissors & technique then the whole confidence package can be doomed before they start .

Good handling is all about knowing when to try harder & when to take a step back but also understanding your tools & above all how to multi task with two hands & a dog that doesn't co operate so all parties survive safely.

We groom dogs where novices started out & most are nightmares because the owners had no clue & the dogs where given no direction & retraining them takes enormous patience .

Most elderly dogs when groomed are more feral than any abused dog especially when there hearing & eye sight goes .

Its unfortunate that many seem to feel groomers are non feeling people our industry copes alot from people who think our job is easy & not worth what we charge or the time & effort we put in.

Maybe try desentitizing him. Every day, spend 1/2 an hour handing and brushing/combing him. Make it a fun exercise - lots of high voice "who is a gooooooooooood doggy then, who loves being brushed, such a good boy" ... while gently brushing, and feeding treats. Every single day. Maybe twice a day. Never a hard word, always a positive encouraging voice. Lots of pats and stuff he likes between brushing.

And if he was my dog, while he was in this state, I would get him used to the thinners, and I would wield them mercilessly, which will shorten and thin his coat until he will accept the clippers.

When he will lie on his back and be brushed all over, have the clippers about (not next to him) and turn them on and off for a bit.

He either has bad temperament, or has been abused --- or has sensitive skin and clipping hurts him.

I wouldn't send him to the groomer. He doesn't know them, thinks they may hurt him, and no matter how good, they will not have the patience you will. When he is ready for the groomer, one groomer only, same one each time.

While I am not a dog trainer and don't know much about dog behaviour, I agree with this post from personal experience.

My goldy was like this whenever her nails had to be clipped. She had never been abused. We got her as a puppy from a reputable breeder. But she would always get highly anxious if anyone so much as brought out the clippers. We took her to two different vets who, after trying to clip her nails, said it could only be done if she is sedated.

I didn't want to keep sedating her. So we handled her paws all the time without using the clippers. Then we brought the clippers out and would gently brush her paws with the clippers. Then we started to put her in the bath, and while my OH massaged her, I would clip a few of her nails.

It took a huge amount of patience over two years, but now she stands still and offers me her paws on her own for clipping her nails.