Cousins Dog A Walking In Circles

Angeluca

Well my cousin just posted a clip on FB of her cattle dog trotting in circles.

It has worn a track into the ground. It used to do it going around a wheelie bin so no more then a one and a half meters wide. she moved the bin and recorded the dog doing the same track.

he is young less the 18 mths, I don't know if he is walked and appears healthy.

His tail is high, and he seems pleasantly trotting around in a small circle, Just like a dog would if they were happily walking down the road and a reasonable pase. no whinning no and doesn't seem stressed.

I haven't said anything yet and she is a BYB on occasion of cattle dogs, appear 'pure' but not on any registry. She looks after her dogs and doesn't just spin out pups for money, but does the whole well I have a girl and a boy so why not. It seems to be instilled into the family her mum used to do the same with CKCs and her sister is now completely fascinated with breeding and raising birds. I don't think she has a girl as her other one died from a snake bite last year, and her other boy is about 7-8 yrs. They have 5 kids oldest being 10 youngest 1.

Back to this dog, he has access to a yard of reasonable size and I know they dogs are allowed inside but i think they sleep outside at night. This to me isn't normal behavior and not sure if a comment from me would be appreciated.

But if i was to comment what links should i advise her though. If this is in fact something to be concerned about??

Can't link the page due to her privacy setting and can't download it on to my computer either.

Boredom which has now turned into compulsive behavior. It's the only way some dogs know how to burn off all that working energy they have but they become so literally 'one track minded' they just zone out and keep following the same path.

Put up staggered barriers, exercise and train the hell out of that dog with no days off before he destroys his joints or goes insane.

:( Sadly it was posted with the name

'Harry the crazy dog' and comment states 'I moved the bin to see if he would still do it, Me thinks hes special'

I didn't think the link would work sadly. When he trots around he is swishing is tag high (sort like a wag) and he has a nice bouncy step. but i think it is as Nek said and boredom + energy which will lead to obessive compulsive if is hasn't already.

I will make the comment, but they are pretty "knowledgeable people" and I feel it will fall on arrogant ears.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=201376103377200&set=vb.100005144353178&type=2&theater

her privacy settings are high so not sure if you will be able to view. it will only be up for a short while so I can get some info on opinions.

I'm glad we can't see it. It's her video and her page. If she wanted a bunch of strangers to look it would have been public. You might be well meaning but I would be furious if this was done to me.

Just something to keep in mind, with the dog being an 'ACD'... I had a 6 month old ACD bitch who started pacing, esp around the outer walls of the lounge/dining room, as well as other odd neurological behaviour, and to cut a long story short, she was diagnosed with advanced liver shunt, and sadly PTS, at 6 1/2 months... Liver shunts/disease are a medical issue that sadly is affecting more and more ACD' s.

Just something to possibly warn her about...

Sadly, I saw this in a pet shop once with a cattle dog pup or a fair age. He was chasing his tail the whole time I was in the shop. I couldn't stand it, I had to leave, but the image still haunts me. :( I have never been back to that shop.

Sadly, I saw this in a pet shop once with a cattle dog pup or a fair age. He was chasing his tail the whole time I was in the shop. I couldn't stand it, I had to leave, but the image still haunts me. :( I have never been back to that shop.

That is truly so sad Sheena. Poor puppy :( He found a way to occupy his days being confined to a crate. Very tragic. Sorry you witnessed this. It would haunt me forever too. Good on you for never returning to that crappy store. I did the same at our local pet store after I witnessed them selling puppies at 4 weeks of age :( That was 10 + years ago & I have never set foot in the store again.

Edited by BC Crazy

I have seen dogs with complusive behaviourial issues. I am no expert but if you have an intelligent dog or any animal & you don't keep them mentally/physically stimulated then they can find ways to occupy their time.Unfortunately this can lead to OCD 's :(

The only thing I can suggest is redirection / reward. Exercise/ mental stimulation eg. training. On a multi ,short session daily basis.

Edited by BC Crazy

Boredom which has now turned into compulsive behavior. It's the only way some dogs know how to burn off all that working energy they have but they become so literally 'one track minded' they just zone out and keep following the same path.

Put up staggered barriers, exercise and train the hell out of that dog with no days off before he destroys his joints or goes insane.

This would be my opinion too. Use the staggered barriers and fill that dog's head with mental stimulation!!