How Do You Afford Your Dog/s

lilypily

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say I haven't posted in here yet but having been in a similar position all I can say is I do owe a few DOL big time when I have been thrown with some huge vet bills in the last year or two. I wouldn't have been completely sunk without some of those offers (money for pain meds etc) and mostly they were before I even had a chance to say no. Some just happened. DOL rocks. :thumbsup:

I am just fortunate that my parents came to the party on the old girls cruciate surgery (although she is the family dog) a few weeks ago. That would have been an absolute sinker since I am still paying regular vet bills of my young girl.

Edited by ness

We have huge vet bills at the moment but we are coping my wife and I are well paid (dual income no kids)and in 3 weeks our GSD with cancer has set us back $3800 but we have said that we will eat baked beans if needed.

It's a struggle, especially when you have vets bills that can amount to anything really. As far as food, that part doesn't cost much considering the number of dogs I'm currently feeding, but I buy things on special or just cheap. Example, I dont feed my dogs treats, but last week I bought an ox heart for $5 and dried it myself to use as training treats for my puppy. Today I bought 4 bags of chicken carcasses, 2 per bag for $1 per bag. I just fed all the dogs for tea and I still have 2 bags left, so it cost me $2 to feed 9 dogs! (I'm looking after some extras at the moment)

I also bought a pumpkin for $1 per kilo that will be going into tomorrows cook up along with some silver beet a friend gave me and assorted other vegies that I got on special.

As for myself, I dont smoke, rarely drink and dont go out much in a social sense. My clothes are pretty old and daggy too and I wear cheap shoes. :laugh:

Oh, and I just thought of something funny I've been doing of late to get greens into my diet. There's a weed, I dont know what it is, but I think it's in the mustard family, you often see it growing on the roadside, it has bristly leaves and yellow flowers. My dogs love it so I got some seeds and started growing some myself. I made risotto last night and wanted to add greens so I picked some of the weed to add to it. Delish! :eat: And organic too. :laugh:

Edited by Kirislin

Together, my OH and I earn a good combined income. Earlier this year we bought a house together, then shortly after that his brother passed away. OH was grief stricken and unable to work for about 4 months, and since he works for himself, if he doesn't work he doesn't get a cent. We went from a good combined income to me supporting us and the dogs on my single income. I was paying the entire mortgage, all the bills, all of our food, running two cars, everything for the dogs, etc. I dipped deep into my savings which really hurt me, as I like having that money there as an emergency buffer. Then we got a ridiculously large power bill and Sumo hurt his leg and needed X-rays both in the same week, and I'll admit to breaking down and crying. I could just see no end to it all.

Thankfully, we found a way to get through it and struggled on, and now we're out the other side and building up our savings once more. I think everyone goes through tough times and you do have to prioritise the things you need over the things you want. We generally don't deny ourselves much at all but during this period we were forced to, and we learnt that we don't really need all the extras to be happy. And you know what, the experience makes you stronger. I feel for anyone doing it tough, it's not enjoyable at all.

Sorry to hear that about your OH's brother, Cassie frown.gifhug.gif Seems like its been a crap year for so many people this year .. x

LP, thats lovely dolers have been kind enough to offer you money and care packages. Some very kind hearted people in here ;)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

To work out your fortnightly debit amounts just look at your last bill, calculate it to a 12 month amount (ie monthly bill x 12) and then divide that by 26. Always aim to debit a few dollars more, not less obviously.

If every regular bill is set to automatically come out of your account each time your payment goes in, then you know that the remainder is able to be spent. You then adjust your living to that amount.

I still have my money organised like this to this day even though I could probably relax a little these days.

I do this too. It works really well, the hardest thing is starting, but after a few weeks you get used to it.

Most of my debits are a fixed monthly cost, give or take, so I pay a bit 'over' and end up in credit at the end of each bill cycle. It helps when you have one of those sh!t hit the fan type of weeks. :)

I get the simple savings newsletter too - granted, I don't use many of their ideas but there's some ingenious stuff there.

However, I feel deeply concerned for anyone having to live independently on a pension of any kind, particularly with kids. It just sucks. :(

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I am fortunate when it comes to income stream...having been a saver all my life and made a few fortunate investments.

But minimum wage here is $7.79/hr, so even people with full time minimum wage jobs find it hard to afford vet bills.

I do what I can by buying wormers and heartworm meds in bulk and giving them away to people who can't afford them...and offering to include others in bulk purchase orders from internet suppliers.

I would imagine many others would be willing to do the same.

I've learned to be a very savvy shopper, you can save a lot of $$ when you buy in season produce and sales items. I also avoid a lot of precooked, highly processed stuff (for me and the dog!) which takes a lot of cost off.

Sometimes it's knowing when to shop, I'm more likely to find cheap bags of produce if I shop on Sunday. I also do a lot of shopping at the weekly markets, plus some of the veggie stalls will give me free offcuts that are useless for people but great for my rabbits and birds.

I'm looking forward to getting my own veggie patch going now!

Oh, and I just thought of something funny I've been doing of late to get greens into my diet. There's a weed, I dont know what it is, but I think it's in the mustard family, you often see it growing on the roadside, it has bristly leaves and yellow flowers. My dogs love it so I got some seeds and started growing some myself. I made risotto last night and wanted to add greens so I picked some of the weed to add to it. Delish! :eat: And organic too. :laugh:

Put up a photo of the weed. I am sure the vast collective DOL knowledge will give it a name. Recipe for the risotto would be good too.

Being on a fixed income (part super fund and part pension) and getting older is pretty scary. I retired (not by choice :( ) at the end of 2004 at which time my superannuation was certainly not sufficient for a comfortable lifestyle although I did have a few part time jobs for a couple of years. I've been saved by qualifying for a part age pension a few years into my retirement. If I didn't get that, I don't know where I'd be. A couple of years ago, I had some huge vet expenses and had to make a document to keep up with money coming in and money coming out to ensure I had enough each time a utilities account had to be paid. It was such a strain.

I have three bank accounts to ensure I keep myself on the straight and narrow: a working account into which is banked my monthly super fund payment and is used for day to day living expenses, one into which is paid the Centrelink pension, and a savings account into which I try to put a little bit each month. The pension account is not touched except to pay my utilities, insurance, green slip, NRMA, health insurance, etc etc. I keep an excel document where all these expenses are listed and the month in which they have to be paid. Some months have greater expenses than the Centrelink pension covers and some have less, so over a year, it evens out. If I have to dip into that account, I try to "pay it back" at a later date. I have a credit card for convenience and emergencies and this is paid every month from the daily living expenses account.

Edited by Danny's Darling

However, I feel deeply concerned for anyone having to live independently on a pension of any kind, particularly with kids. It just sucks. :(

Yeah it can be sucky, but you get used to it and budget accordingly. It's really only when these unexpected big things happen that you have to do it tough for a bit.

It's choice too. As i'v said a few people have told me i'm crazy, that it's just a dog. To me however they are the crazy ones :laugh: i'm happy to go without things to keep my dog healthy and happy. My kids go without zero, they get everything. My dear mum paid for me to get my hair done, I asked her 'can I pay a bill with the money?' No she said, this is a gift, you need something for yourself, and besides you look a mess :laugh: Thanks mum :laugh:

It's really made me think about the future and dog ownership. I love love love GSD's and Dobes but I know I can't afford one so I won't get one. Lucky for me I also love Chihuahuas, I think they are a more appropriate choice. I'll get there with Lil, hopefully she remains well until i'v caught up on bills (centrelink advances are a lifesaver to) . Future wise it's looking at pet insurance, is it worthwhile? Or budgeting in a fortnightly amount for a 'doggy account'.

What saddens me is so many people out there on pensions or low incomes get stuck in this awful position. Pet ownership should never be a burden. All the dogs in pounds and there are people out there who would make great owners but simply can't afford it. That sucks!

I note you are in Victoria, so this may be of use to you: http://www.vicaids.asn.au/sites/default/files/files/A_Guide_to_Relief_available_throughout_Victoria_January_2013.pdf

For people in other States, a google should turn up similar things.

Never be afraid to ask for help if you need it. I have been on a low income in the past and know it is a struggle. And how the dogs come first. And we can be so proud sometimes. But there are schemes that can be of assistance so never be afraid to use them. After all, our dogs need us to be happy and healthy. And when we are stressed, our dogs can be too :)

I am just not into buying things for myself TBH and because I am high up at the boarding kennel I work at, I get free boarding and daycare, and food for cost, and the last large vet bill I had(around $2000) my boss paid for me(I didn't ask, he called me aside and said he would pay for it, I was blown away!) my regular vet bills are high, but I try to split it 2 dogs at a time and save, its a blow to the pocket with 2 dogs at once, but I can do several months to save,2 dogs, several months to save, 2 more dogs etc.. I also keep a saving account in which I transfer a set amount of each paycheck automatically, that's for emergencies and if I need something desperately before payday, I can draw from that account and pay it back at payday.

Lily Pily I'm not on a low income but money is tight for other reasons. I know people will assume I'm on a band wagon, but I honestly find feeding raw human grade soooo much cheaper. I'm continually shocked at the price of dog food and wonder how people afford it! I feed three westies at night for around two dollars or about 70c each and they get chicken necks or wings in the morning as well - about 60c each. So I feed three westies twice a day for less than $4.00. Yes it takes a bit of effort and fore-thought but I just shop for them when I shop for me. And the freezer is my best friend! Hope that helps. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I honestly find feeding raw human grade soooo much cheaper.

Very true! Especially if you can find an outlet cheaper than a butcher or supermarket. If you have a reasonably large freezer buy in bulk (that's what I am going to do once I get myself organised).

Thanks for the link espinay2 :)

Another thing for free dog food is Oakham Research. I don't know if it's Vic only or Australian wide? I signed up a while ago and every week (well it's been a bit slack lately) you get delivered for free food, tinned or dry. It's market research. You weigh your pets bowl and record the amount they have eaten etc: It's well known companies, My Dog etc testing out new flavours before they will launch a new product. It's all guaranteed to be nutritionally complete.

I do however tend to feed my Lil different food, but it's awesome to have in the cupboard as a back up for tough times.

Edited by lilypily

There might be some other ways of cutting back on some expenditure. A few colleagues at work have stopped buying house cleaning items in the supermarket and are using things like vinegar and baking soda, they all say it's saving them money.

If you've got a mobile phone you can shop around for a much cheaper plan - i'm now with TPG, it's saved me heaps.

Edited by dogmad