Would You Give An Adopted Dog Back?

Staffyluv

Return or not  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give an adopted dog back to the original owner after you adopted it?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this is totally different but years ago i found a beautiful horse. He had wandered into my property so to keep him safe I put in him my horse's yard.

I rang the police not long after and couple other organisations including local vets to ask what to do about the situation. I was informed by the police as long as i did everything possible to try locate the owner of it eg checking with vets, putting up notices etc then legally the horse would be mine after I think it was 3 months? (this was many years ago)

The horse was in fairly good condition when i found it altho it was very hungry.

Anyway the paddock was near lots of other horse/stock yards at the time, so I went around and asked everyone if they knew who the horse belonged too. No one had ever seen this horse before!

I fed and exercised him for close to 3 months (I didn't ride him of course) just lunged him .. close to the 3 months being up (i was thinking hes mine by that stage) a cowboy looking man approached me and said it was his horse. (the property was adjacent to a main busy road). Showed me proof that the horse was his (plus the horse recognized him) Seemed to have a legit reason about his missing horse. Said he really appreciated me looking after him so well and would come back and reimburse me for all the feed etc .

Well it was emotional for me because i had gotten very close to this horse and was thinking after 3 months hes mine!

Of course the horse wasn't microchipped like dogs should be (i don't even think it had any branding on it)

Even if it had gone over the 3 months i would have given him back. The man looked genuine and nice enough.. It wasnt like the horse was in a neglected way when i found him.

He never did send me any money tho icon_smile_mad.gif

Sorry to off topic a bit but this story sort of reminds me of that particular time.

I would return the dog because it would be the right thing to do.

The new owners are acting very selfishly.

The dog is morally owned by the other woman. Sure, legally no law has been broken but come on, who would keep the dog after the situation had been explained. We are not talking about a possession here, we are talking about a loved pet.

If it were a pair of shoes them maybe it would be different.

+1 I would definitely return the dog even if I bonded with it. If the dog has a loving family where it s comfortable and happy, it would be selfish of me to keep it just because I want it.

I voted yes, because I would hate to be the one who is trying to get my dog back. I would be devastated. Seeing as it had only been a short time, I think the OP should have given the dog back. I mean the actual owner had the dog for 7 years.

Under these particular circumstances yes I would return the dog. It would be difficult if I had bonded with it but I think it would be the right thing to do. I would also wonder what the "dog sitter" did to look for the dog.

A dog like this one.... owned by the original owner for 7 years... can get anzy if the owner is absent. The wandering may have been a result of that.... I don't know.

Whoever was dog-sitting was very remiss in not looking at the local pound/shelter, when Mia went missing. The owner's anger would be better directed at that person/persons.

There's no doubt that I, as adopter, would legally own the dog. But I'd consider that the original owner has cared for this dog for 7 years & registered her .... which would indicate a level of commitment & responsibility. So I'm inclining towards returning her.

I'd expect the original owner to be relieved that her pet was alive.... not run over while roaming ... & that the RSPCA has got her into new home, in good faith. And express some gratitude to those (not the pet sitter!) who've kept the dog alive & safe. Frankly, if the original owner expressed that attitude.... she'd be like the mother in the King Solomon story who proved she was the real mother.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Actually, I think I'm being too hasty...

My Pug is almost 7 and he went missing once for a couple of hours. I was beside myself with worry. If, for some reason, there was a problem with his ID and someone tried to keep him I would be devastated.

Is it okay to change your mind? I'm not really sure what I'd do.

My Pug is almost 7 and he went missing once for a couple of hours. I was beside myself with worry. If, for some reason, there was a problem with his ID and someone tried to keep him I would be devastated.

Of course you can change your mind.. Humans change their minds on things all the time.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Of course you can change your mind.. Humans change their minds on things all the time.

Thank you :) :laugh:

Hmmm it's a hard one :/ My first reaction was yes definitely I would give it back and then I think well if you couldn't be bothered to chip the dog and the "well in 7 years it never left the property" comment just shows that well it did this day and maybe other days that you didn't notice. As Wreckit Whippet said it was lucky it wasn't euthed and then who'd be to blame? I recently moved house and the first thing I did the day after was change the dogs chip details and then my drivers license.

Bottom line is yes I would give it back but I'd be dirty that the owner was so stupid.

Ohhh the irony of DOL.

It's ok for people to find a dog or steal one that they think is neglected, unwanted, unloved and keep it. Yet DOL is prepared to condemn a family that has legally adopted a dog and did not want to return the dog to it's original owner.

Where have they been condemned?

I don't think people should be allowed to steal or keep found dogs.

In a case like this if the owners had genuinely lost the dog and had been looking for it etc then yes I would return the dog.

Yes it should have been chipped but not being chipped doesn't mean it wasn't a loved pet. I usually put myself in the other persons shoes, plenty of good owners have had dogs escape.

Edited by Aussie3

It's a tough call but I think in this case the dog would most likely still be bonded to her old owners, and be happier in her 'real' home :( So I think I'd have to give her back.

Having said that though, a "kelpie healer cross" would be damned handy to have around. Save a fortune in medical bills.

And just to remind (again) everyone - check your pets microchip details are correct. It took me about 3 tries to change my phone number with CAR. It was pure chance I found out they hadn't updated their records when I asked them to.

It would depend on the story.

Our working BC isn't chipped. - it isn't compulsory here yet - as he is owned by my husband. He does not want a foreign object in his dog, it is something he feels quite strongly about and while it is not compulsory he won't be done.

All mine are done.

Edited by OSoSwift

And just to remind (again) everyone - check your pets microchip details are correct. It took me about 3 tries to change my phone number with CAR. It was pure chance I found out they hadn't updated their records when I asked them to.

A week after I changed my address I received a letter in the mail from Gosford council confirming the change which I thought was pretty good seeing Gosford Council is usually dodgy as :)