How Do You Pronounce...

Pretty Miss Emma

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian Cattle Dogs = Australian Cattle Dogs or Cattle Dogs NOT Heeler, Blue Heeler, Qld, (or any other state, but Qld is the most said), Heeler, Eeler, (and thats clearly the absolute worst), Red Heeler, Blue Heeler etc, etc....

Actually the most annoying is Healer, they dont heal you :mad...

I call them Cattle Dogs, but I didn't realise Heeler would be offensive confused.gif Most working ACDs I know get called heelers

Yep most farmers call them Heelers, but its wrong, it's not the correct name for them now, it's ACD, as above... My 2 Lanbart ACD's would be verrrry offended if anyone called them a Heeler :D...

So, phonetic pronunciation of dachshund, anyone?

Dachshund is a combination of Dachs (meaning badger) & Hund (dog) phonetically 'Dax-hoond'.

Have a listen here - this is easier than explaining phonetically :)

http://www.forvo.com/word/dachshund/

The link is interesting as my ear can pick up a slight variation in the pronunciation of the two male speakers.

Edited by trifecta

I've noticed lots of people in the US calling them QLD heelers, I had never heard it before!

when I was growing up they were always called Qld heelers, never heard them referred to as anything else until I joined an obedience club.

I've noticed lots of people in the US calling them QLD heelers, I had never heard it before!

when I was growing up they were always called Qld heelers, never heard them referred to as anything else until I joined an obedience club.

In the 1950's they were Blue Heelers my parents had some in PNG and I still think of them as that.

lol anyone who finds "heeler" offensive..don't come to Canada :p you say ACD to 97% of the population and you will get a blank look..or you will get a knowing look but the person thinks your talking about an Aussie :laugh: clarify with "Heeler" and 100% of the population will know exactly what breed your talking about lol

the Pyro Knees made me laugh, that pronunciation would never have crossed my mind, nor have I ever heard anyone pronounce it like that :laugh:

Edited by cali

Weim is pronounced like the word "why", so why-ma-rah-ner, although Weimaraner and Rottweiler should technically be pronounced the German way where the w is pronounced like a v.

YAY Thank you Aussie3!!! I think this is the first time I've heard someone here in Australia actually say this!! As a Pom, who used to have Rottweiler I gave up pronouncing it correctly (as in with a v instead of the w) here as everyone always looked at me like I'd lost my mind! I have also refused point blank to pronounce it with a W so just resorted to calling them Rotty's!

I think a good way to learn some of the dog breed names is to watch the best in group rings of the westminster show. The announcer calls out each breed of dog as it is being examined and then has a little bit of information about the breed. It is where I have learned how to pronounce many of the breed names :)

--Lhok

I think a good way to learn some of the dog breed names is to watch the best in group rings of the westminster show. The announcer calls out each breed of dog as it is being examined and then has a little bit of information about the breed. It is where I have learned how to pronounce many of the breed names :)

--Lhok

Problem is when the names they use for the breed is different. In North America (and only there) for instance, they call Pyrenean Mountain Dogs 'Great Pyrenees'.

Ok we've done two varities of Belgians.

(mal and the g one)

How do you say. Terv. And laek. ?

OK, the anglicised spelling is Tervueren which is roughly how it is spoken. The Belgian municipality from which the dog get its name is Tervuren, which is why you will see two ways of spelling.

This is a good pronunciation (by a Spanish speaker!) http://www.forvo.com/word/tervuren/ I can't type phonetically on this keyboard neither can I do umlauts, but vu is a sort of chewed sound :laugh: ter-vyu'ren is the closest I can get!

Laekenois is as Hockz stated lak-in-wah, though a Flemish speaker may flatten the 'a' sound like an 'a' with an umlaut, sounding like 'ae'.