How Many Dogs Are Scared Of Storms?

MrsD

What percentage of dogs are scared of storms?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. How many dogs do you have?

2. 2. How many of your dogs are scared of storms?

Stan is petrified of storms, also moths, flies, Xmas beetles and poo but he has a thundershirt which works well for him. Maddie was never worried about storms, fireworks are a different story, until we had the worst storm I've ever experienced last month and she was a drooling, quivering mess. I now have a thundershirt for her so I hope it works, we'll be trying it out on NYE.

Oh Stan :laugh:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither of my two are too bothered by storms.

But they both get a little bitchy in the lead up to a good storm, and we tend to have a couple of squabbles before a big one.

But they're both fine during the storms and have to be forced to come inside instead of playing in the rain and the mud

Stan is petrified of storms, also moths, flies, Xmas beetles and poo but he has a thundershirt which works well for him. Maddie was never worried about storms, fireworks are a different story, until we had the worst storm I've ever experienced last month and she was a drooling, quivering mess. I now have a thundershirt for her so I hope it works, we'll be trying it out on NYE.

Sorry Stan but :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IM Stan's worst nightmare would be being chased by insects in a thunderstorm and treading in a poo :scared: he's "speshal" :)

IM Stan's worst nightmare would be being chased by insects in a thunderstorm and treading in a poo :scared: he's "speshal" :)

SM, I almost wet my pants when I read your reply!!!! :eek::rofl: :rofl: :rofl::eek::bottom::bolt:

Both of mine sleep through storms...Zig does get a bit worked up over fallen branches and trees but that probably has something to do with the 3 or 4 that have fallen on our house the last few years. Funny thing though....Em loves gunshot but would happily crawl inside a hole when I use a cleaver to chop up chicken.

Both of mine have changed over the years.

The older girl used to not have a problem at all with storms and now she huffs and puffs and gets really quite anxious around thunder. She's ok to just hang around with me inside - but there is definitely a reaction.

My younger girl, who didn't experience any storms for at least the first 18 months of her life, was petrified of them at first. She has gradually gotten better and now she is better than the older dog who was practically bomb proof in her younger days.

I was worried that the younger one would be influenced by the older dog's worsening response toward storm, but it hasn't happened. I find it a bit strange to be honest.

a;tho 6 out of 7 are afraid of storm the level of fear is at different levels:

Dennys Dog.. is so terrified that he looses any common sense that he has.. he will still tear his face trying to get thru wire fences or under farm gates to get away. At least in hi dotage he can no longer leap fences and disappear up the riad in an attempt to escape the storm

Grace: my very best storm forecaster.. long before i spot storn cloud building on the horizon Ms Gracie has take herself upstairs and curled up in her favourite safe place in the bedroom.

Snotto, and Gina are not happy at all about storms but do not attempt to flee. Gina goes into the paddock shelters and sits in the middle of her goats and sheep.. clever girl. Snotto wanders about looking unsettled and nervous and if the storm is very bad she will sit as close as possible to her chosen human.

Hairy Harry Huge was a carefree lad until a particularly bad storm a month or so ago.. now he is becoming increasingly anxious

Bemjamin Bumblee becomes quite stressed with storms but fortunately fits comfortable in my brothers lap or chair where Benny is happy to spend the storm.

Honey Bunny... well she barks challenge to the thunder and scares us!!!!

H

My two teenagers (brother & sister) Zander & Andie went through a phase when we moved to our current place earlier this year of being afraid of thunder and gunshots (very rural area and neighbours shoot quite regularly).

I think it was actually started by Andie, and her brother picked it up from there. Even their mum picked it up a bit and started worrying which was odd. However when my OH got his gun licence we decided to work on it. We had a rabbit problem and when OH would shoot a couple, the young dogs would be at the front door panting. even if they were offered a fresh rabbit directly after the noise they were too stressed to be interested. Their dad provided a shining example though. He figured out the process very, very quickly. When he even sees a rifle he starts bouncing about. And his attitude has been infectious.

Now all dogs come running happily at the sound of gunshots. This has translated well and they are unfazed by thunder now as well, we have had big storms this last week and relaxed dogs.

A rural solution I know but interesting so I thought I'd share.

The ageing Goldie however, who has increasing senility - is now afraid of storms when she never used to be. Poor old duck. She's ok if she comes inside, but despite having hearing issues she can pick up approaching thunder before anyone else...

Gus is terrified of thunder, lightning and fireworks. He gets himself into the smallest, darkest place he can hide and stays there shaking like a leaf until it's all over. It's strange because Shez was never bothered by any of them until Gus came along. Now she'll freak out at fireworks but is ok with storms. But if you take any power tools out, she'll run and hide before they are even turned on lol strange dog.

Doof is petrified but the thundershirt has helped a little. The last big storm we had to give him Valium, it didn't take the edge off

Bear isn't scared of storms but gets anxious over doof being upset. When he freaks out she goes over and whines and licks him. Eventually she realises he's a lost cause and goes off to bed :laugh:

Obviously not counting foster dogs in the poll..

I have had a few through that seemed to be initially concerned (no over the top reactions) and after a while they seem OK - I often wondered if this is because they are in a house where we don't really worry about it. They are allowed up on the lounge or in their crate (whatever makes them comfortable).

Ziggy doesn't worry about it and I have noticed that the last girl was jumpy once but because he was just sitting on the lounge, she got up with him and just went to sleep..

Ziggy sits in his clam shell when it is raining.. He will also run out into the rain and then run back inside - it is a bit of a game.

Our male does not like storms at all. If we get a storm during the night, he comes over to our bed and gets as close to me as possible. We always invite him up onto the bed and then he lays on my husband. He's pretty good nowadays, he will only stay while the storm is bad and then he goes back to his bed.

Our female is only fussed if it's a really bad storm. When we had heavy hail recently she just moved closer to me on the bed.

I have 2 dogs, one who likes to go and sleep in the middle of the lawn during a thunder storm!!! They don't phase her at all! Hamish - well he tells the thunder exactly where to go! I don't think he's scared of them because he doesn't really show fear behaviour, he just would prefer that the noise go somewhere else!

SM, I almost wet my pants when I read your reply!!!! :eek::rofl: :rofl: :rofl::eek::bottom::bolt:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: breathe :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: